Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2016, 05:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
uhm, no. The GTX 970 was an anomaly @ $329, the other GTX X70 cards averaged $350-$399. You can't pick the only x70 card priced lower and say that's what the typical price is. Check it out:

GTX 470 GTX 570 GTX 670 GTX 770 GTX 970 GTX 1070
$349 $349 $399 $399 $329 $379

Now, which price is an anomaly?

Remember, the GTX 670 was released 4 years ago and the GTX 470 6 years ago! With inflation @ 2% a year, the $350 cards are actually much more expensive!
The $329 wasn't an anomaly, it was a response to competition from similarly performing AMD cards priced closer to $300. The very definition of gouging is raising your prices based on the lack of competition, and IMO that's exactly what's going on here.

edit: And the MSRP for the base model is $429, not $379 as you have listed, that'll be up to the manufacturers I suppose.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM

Last edited by sswilson; May 29, 2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old May 29, 2016, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking forward to the OC results. Definitely looks like this card makes a lot more sense for anyone at less than 4K. If SLI's performing a bit better in this architecture it might be a solid buy now and a 2nd card just before they clear out inventory for the 11XX. Finally having 8GB of VRAM gives a bit more room as 3.5/4gb was starting to seem strained in some games and for those of us that like foolish levels of texture packs.

Sky; have you ever thought of putting a $/FPS(Avg) comparitor like AkG does with $/GB. I realize because there's a lot more variation in FPS by game, driver and a host of other factors, but with something like a straight up benchmark tool, it might be reasonably reliable and would be a neat metric to see. Particularly when AMD does their 14 nm release.
Old May 29, 2016, 08:18 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Can't post the OC results yet. Have to try and get more out of this thing. Right now my overclocking .jpg screenshot is named "MEH". There must be more than that....
Old May 29, 2016, 09:42 PM
Top Prospect

Regarding how the GTX 1070 is configured (which units are disabled), was that based upon the supplied block diagram? Or something stated specifically by Nvidia?

So is it confirmed that every GTX 1070 will have a full GPC disabled and not possibly 5 SMs across multiple GPCs?
Old May 29, 2016, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Bad enough enthusiast grade cards are north of $500, now the second/third tier (this is really a third tier card based on 970/980/980ti) cards are well north of it.
This.

Regardless of what released when and for how much in the past this ^^^ could not be more true.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Right now my overclocking .jpg screenshot is named "MEH". There must be more than that....
Old May 30, 2016, 12:06 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The $329 wasn't an anomaly, it was a response to competition from similarly performing AMD cards priced closer to $300. The very definition of gouging is raising your prices based on the lack of competition, and IMO that's exactly what's going on here.

edit: And the MSRP for the base model is $429, not $379 as you have listed, that'll be up to the manufacturers I suppose.
Hawaii cards were dropped in price in response to GTX 970 and post GTX 970 release. Not the other way around as you are saying. AMD initially actually did not want to drop prices (official comment) which forced AiBs themselves to cut prices due to market realities.

This is actually a point of contention I have with the what seems to be prevailing viewpoint with how friendly AMD is with pricing and unfriendly Nvidia is. If we look at the 28nm era and everything since Nvidia has actually pushed performance/price ahead more when they had initiative then AMD. AMD has actually only done so once with Hawaii. In every other case AMDs friendly pricing is responsive due market realities. Their last two releases have actually tried to increase ASPs (Tonga r9 285 versus Tahiti, Hawaii rebrands to higher prices). You can even look at the CPU side as well (look at FX-9590's launch MSRP). AMD actually tries to push higher prices as well, they are only held in check by market reality.

Last edited by limitedaccess; May 30, 2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 30, 2016, 04:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Getting tired of people comparing the launch prices (usd) to current value vs CAD... saying a card costs over 500 is non-sense just because your currency took a nose-dive.
It will recover with oil prices and prices will come down.
Until then you either have to find a way to mitigate the difference or earn more or stop tempting yourself with tech you can't currently afford or justify in your local currency.

The base price of the card is the lowest available... The early adopters tax is to me a bit unsavory but a legitimate tactic. Afterall there is a much higher early adopters tax on the Professional and enterprise solutions based on this architecture. Without which they wouldn't have the money to spend on research to come up with all these benefits.

As long as like for like cards (g?104) cost about the same as the trend with inflation, without justifiable cause, such as a vapor chamber and rgb lights or higher cost memory.
None which they have provided with the fe, it's an early adopters tax as the "higher grade components" just don't fill that gap between their fe and base price. What I say to that is... wait.. you know the market realities.. Are you so hard for a gpu that you need it now? Paying more gets you priority on availability in a huge number of places, why should a gpu manufacturer be different? Or why would you expect them to be??

Back on topic for the card... I'm really hoping that a 1060/ti will be a 980ti match (or thereabouts, within 5-10%).. Thats all the card any 1080p system will need for some time and should be a much better match for a huge swathe of the market.

Am probably going to have to see if I can get the cost of 1 card from my 2 780's now... the heat and noise and sli isn't worth it over a mid-range new card. Might see if I can sell my PSU too and downgrade for a profit... really not gonna ever need 1000w, though I do like that it turns off the fan nearly all the time due to the low load..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old May 30, 2016, 05:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitedaccess View Post
Regarding how the GTX 1070 is configured (which units are disabled), was that based upon the supplied block diagram? Or something stated specifically by Nvidia?

So is it confirmed that every GTX 1070 will have a full GPC disabled and not possibly 5 SMs across multiple GPCs?
It is a graphical representation rather than reality. Remember that these cores are the ones that couldn't pass muster for either having all their SMs enabled or running at the GTX 1080's stated clock speeds or a combination of both.

If there are "faulty" SMs after fabrication, they could be located anywhere on the die and in any pattern. However, that situation is a rare one.
Old May 30, 2016, 05:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Getting tired of people comparing the launch prices (usd) to current value vs CAD... saying a card costs over 500 is non-sense just because your currency took a nose-dive.
It will recover with oil prices and prices will come down.
Until then you either have to find a way to mitigate the difference or earn more or stop tempting yourself with tech you can't currently afford or justify in your local currency.
That's a fair complaint/observation, but in my defense the $500 comment was secondary to the raise in $USD MSRP over the 970.

As far as the Chicken or Egg 970 pricing goes... doesn't really matter which came first, the price was still set based on a competitive market.

Historically, prices on PC components have either dropped from generation to the next or at the very least have stayed stable while offering a much better bang for buck.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM