Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default EVGA 8800GT 512MB SC Akimbo in SLI

I finally spent the time and got the second card in and it was a very tight fit, infact to remove the setup I have to start with top card and work my way to down to get the second card out. I was convinced throughout the whole process I was going to break something, it wasn't easy getting the cards to lock into place I had push pretty hard on them and make sure they were lined up with slot correctly. I'll admit it was just laziness on my part all it took was simply flipping my sata cables to the 90 degree angle, there was just enough space between the card and the cable to work.

Anyway here's a picture of the new setup and I'll tell you it works fantastic in all my games performance is just great now with all the eye candy enabled.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eagle Eye; May 19, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love this video card, I bought one originally and am ordering a second one. The cooler is fantastic and keeps mine really chill.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am currently running both video cards at stock clocks and the fanspeed controlled automatically it runs pretty warm even in an idle state, card 1 is running at 58oC and card is at 62oC according to the nVidia control panel. I have noticed some sluggish like behaviour in windows sine I configured the SLI setup I am thinking it might be the drivers but I haven't ruled anything out at this point and time. Has anyone ever experienced this before when running a SLI setup in windows where navigating through windows it doesn't seem to flow as well as before, especially when browsing the web?

*This is really strange turning off SLI seems to solve the problem, windows seem quicker webpages load much faster and things don't overlap one another when opening or closing. Did I miss something in the bios I should enable to improve performance or has there been any issue where SLI has had problems working correctly in the desktop environment.*

Last edited by Eagle Eye; May 20, 2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added content
Old May 20, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My second card is not far off, I'll let you know when it gets here and I can run some tests.. until then I can't comment myself.. maybe someone else can.. I'd like to know too.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just wondering are you using Vista or XP?

I have my 2 8800GT's running in SLI but only in XP currently, since that is what I do most of my gaming in and have noticed no such slow down. Even when I do have the SLI enabled in Vista I still haven't noticed any such issue.

Which drivers are you using? I'm currently using 175.12

Old May 21, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using Vista 64 and the most recent Beta drivers, I'm not at home so I cannot remember the exact version number off hand - I'll post that when I get home.

EDIT: LOL! I just looked at the posters icon not name, oh well I'll leave my response in anyways hahaha ops!
Old May 21, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Its all fixed now after disabling SLI then re-enabling it I was prompted to restart my computer and upon doing all issue I had before were gone.

For reference I am using 175.16 whql drivers from the nVidia website.

Thanks guys for the response and Encorp keep us posted when you get you're second card and let us know how it goes, I am very curious to see how you like them on that board as I am thinking of going the same route myself one of these days. I have been unimpressed with AMD as of late and considering moving to Intel and I have heard alot of good things about the EVGA 750i FTW

Regards,

EE
Old May 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I loooove the board so far, with my new video card comes my new TRUE heatsink and a new fan and some new goop so I can push the OC on this more.. I'll keep you posted.