Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2008, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at the design of the pcb and cooler the only way they could accomodate a larger fan is by shortening fins or making the cooler longer, unfortunately they have very little room to work with. You think sapphire would of realized that a 60mm fan would make quite a bit of noise and somehow come up with a design plan to implement a larger fan.
Old May 20, 2008, 05:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There are plenty of single-slot 60mm fans that are out there and they generally sit themselves into two categories based on the heatsink they are placed in:

1) Silent heatsink is VERY hot-running. The HD3850 is a great example of this

2) Very loud but heatsink runs cool. HD3850 with the revised fan profile is a good example

Sapphire had the opportunity to have the very best of both worlds but it seemed that they didn't do much research into how little air the fan had to push in order to make the Vapor-X perform well.
Old May 20, 2008, 06:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The issue with this card is the noise its fan makes.

Soooo, are we talking Vantec Tornado, in the cockpit of a jetfighter like noise?
Old May 20, 2008, 06:57 AM

I would say....12V Ryobi dust buster @ 20 feet.
Old May 20, 2008, 08:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

A video card that cleans your PC too, now there’s an idea. ATI is innovative!
Get to the patent office, quick, before they realize what they got.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default nice review

Unique review-but thats what makes this site stand out--really like the dam innovative award logo.

Very impressive use of the cooler-almost seems like its sweating into the fins to dissipate heat.

Be nice to see something like that scaled up to a larger card with a larger quieter fan.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:47 AM

To be honest, I think a vapor chamber cooler was originally proposed for the HD2900XT cards but the idea was scrapped due to the cost of manufacturing them.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice review, that is a shiteload of tests you ran there.

Question about the OCing page. For stability are you testing the max you can run 3Dmark at or the max you can run all of your tests at?
Old May 20, 2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Nice review, that is a shiteload of tests you ran there.

Question about the OCing page. For stability are you testing the max you can run 3Dmark at or the max you can run all of your tests at?
To test for stability, I run a 20 minute loop of 3DMark standard tests and then a 30 minute loop of 3DMark Batch Size test. I have found the Batch test is the best thing out there for determining stable GPU overclocks since it will hard-lock the SECOND it picks up an error.
Old May 25, 2008, 06:27 PM
Rookie

A good review and a fun read, nice work! I like the idea and design of the VaporX technology. I hope they can refine it a bit for their inevitable Toxic 4870. Also glad they used a newer BIOS. I have often wondered, the fans on gfx cards are always arranged parallel to the cards. What would happen if we saved some space on the length of the card (or if a card was designed with a hole 2/3 of the way down), and aligned a fan perpendicularly to the PCB? I mean, most of the fans we use to cool our own bodies are alighed so the axle is pointed at us, because it probably moves more air that way. The fans on gfx cards are all designed to push air perpendicularly away from the axle. Because it would be really hard to fit a fan that pushed air the normal way onto a gfx card. Also if some company did this they would do well to maximize the fin length and minimize hub diameter. Just a thought!
Athlon 64 3400+ Clawhammer Core @ 2.2GHz
Mobility Radeon 9700, 128mb. 1680 by 1050
1024mb PC2700
60gb 7200 Hitachi HGST Travelstar