Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2015, 07:49 PM
Rookie

Kinda a letdown for me...Not performance wise but the noise level wise. was extremely loud in the review video
Old June 24, 2015, 10:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Heads up for anybody with a Full water Loop and Looking at Fury X...

EKWB will have you covered
Old June 24, 2015, 10:28 PM
Rookie

I think AMD is partly to blame by hyping up the card as much as they did before any significant information was ever made public. I know they're trying to boost interest in their products but they more you hype something up, the harder it will fall if it doesn't meet expectations. They should have just played this out as being a next step, first generation in some new technologies they're working on.

With that said it's not as bad as some Nvidia fans are making it out to be. It's no Titan but in many benchmarks it wasn't off the 980 ti by all that much. Considering it's new technology, small gaps like that can be sometimes made up with driver optimization and other firmware updates. Also, with AMD cards aging well it probably wouldn't be a bad investment. The only problem for me is the price which is way too high for the performance level it offers.

At this point I'll see what the air cooled vanilla Fury can do, and if other GPU companies can spice it up a bit.
Old June 25, 2015, 01:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yea, some people are giving it a much harder time than it deserves.. though the lack of overclocking is a big sticking point IMO..

As for the noise, apparently thats a pre-production issue, we will soon see if they have it sorted for production cards and what their performance is(for better or worse)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 25, 2015, 04:27 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think AMD hyped the Fury X based on the GTX 980. It took them by surprise when Nvidia unleashed the GTX 980 ti!!!!
Old June 25, 2015, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I'm not going to go and enable GSYNC in the control panel everytime I want to game.
I believe you can make keyboard shortcuts, or through Nvidia Inspector make icon shortcuts for your desktop. Better than dealing with CP, though still annoying to have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
What I dislike about these AIO watercooled cards is that it doesn't support those of us with custom loops. Removing a heatsink and putting it aside is one thing, removing a whole AIO watercooler to replace it with a fullcover block seems absolutely wasteful since it could easily save $50-100 from the cost of the card.
Sounds like the 980 Ti should be $100 cheaper than it is, in that case.

In general I suspect those going with custom loops will likely opt for the $550 Fury on July 24th. I'm curious to see if that air cooled card will be the same length or larger to accommodate the alternative cooling.

Single slot GPUs (including bracket) are attractive to me as I have recently been considering a SFF X99 mATX build and it would facilitate 2x GPU + PCI-E SSD far more easily. As such, that shot with the EKWB above is interesting indeed.

Old June 25, 2015, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
I believe you can make keyboard shortcuts, or through Nvidia Inspector make icon shortcuts for your desktop. Better than dealing with CP, though still annoying to have to do.

Sounds like the 980 Ti should be $100 cheaper than it is, in that case.

In general I suspect those going with custom loops will likely opt for the $550 Fury on July 24th. I'm curious to see if that air cooled card will be the same length or larger to accommodate the alternative cooling.

Single slot GPUs (including bracket) are attractive to me as I have recently been considering a SFF X99 mATX build and it would facilitate 2x GPU + PCI-E SSD far more easily. As such, that shot with the EKWB above is interesting indeed.
You can't have dual gpu in a sff build unless you go furyx2 or whatever... 1 PCI-e x16 slot on Mitx.. nothing else..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 25, 2015, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

SFF doesn't mean mITX. SFF means sub 20L cases. The Kimera Nova* will be a 17L mATX case, which is what I would be using.

Also, don't be so sure on ITX boards having 1x PCI-E slot forever. At this time, there are some rare ITX boards with 2x PCI-E slots (one is angled) like the Asus B85M-View Paker, (Link to manual with board specs)

Mini-DTX is also an official spec, encompassing 2x PCI-E slots (not necessarily both full speed either physically or electrically), but I've only seen it on low chipset boards at the moment - the latest is this one - ASRock H91M-XT PLUS

Some people have used an H81 variant of a DTX board in their M1.

*name will change in the future

Last edited by Vittra; June 25, 2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old June 25, 2015, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm no expert but this seems like a pretty innovative compact card that provides a demo of the future. Packing all that tech on the 28nm node. Guess they will iron out the kinks with drivers to allow better performance and ocing. Hopefully it's not bottlenecked by the stream processors. Anyway with the air cooled options coming and EK blocks to mount, this would make for a strong little card that is worth thinking about.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old June 25, 2015, 07:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You have to be rather wealthy to afford a rig capable of delivering sustained 120FPS @ 2560x1440 though. I wouldn't mind using ULMB for the desktop but unfortunately Nvidia makes it a hassle to do. I'm not going to go and enable GSYNC in the control panel everytime I want to game.

The cost increase of GSYNC over similar Freesync displays IMO not worth it.
For me I have two R9 290X 8GB cards that should be good with a Freesync capable screen getting on average more than 60 fps with Crossfire capable games and I don't often use anti-aliasing, so I should be ok in that light. Right now I'm at 60hz at this resolution on an Eizo.

I do find ULMB to be as important as any G/FreeSync though, and I find the benefits start to show early, at around 72-80 hz/fps.

I agree that the cost differential is a tough pill to swallow though.

I'm not wealthy

I find it funny that they are using a Nidec fan with a cooler master OEM cooling unit when Cooler Master has a good similar fan in the Silencio FP. At first I thought it was but on closer inspection it looks a lot like the one AP-29 I own.

Quote:
I was confused about your response to me at first 10e, but I think I understand now with lowfat's response.

PG279Q = Gsync/ULMB <-- this is the one I was actually referring to
MG279Q = Freesync, no ULMB

Both 27", 2560x1440, 144hz, IPS.
Sorry, I misread P for M. Sleep has been at a premium lately. I will look out for this, as Asus tends to have superiour quality control to Acer from my experiences.

Quote:
SFF doesn't mean mITX. SFF means sub 20L cases. The Kimera Nova* will be a 17L mATX case, which is what I would be using.

Also, don't be so sure on ITX boards having 1x PCI-E slot forever. At this time, there are some rare ITX boards with 2x PCI-E slots (one is angled) like the Asus B85M-View Paker, (Link to manual with board specs)

Mini-DTX is also an official spec, encompassing 2x PCI-E slots (not necessarily both full speed either physically or electrically), but I've only seen it on low chipset boards at the moment - the latest is this one - ASRock H91M-XT PLUS

Some people have used an H81 variant of a DTX board in their M1.

*name will change in the future

I think that SFF for me equals anything smaller than my TJ08-EW hehe. But it's nice that the upcoming EK block will have a single slot backplate available for the R9 Fury X. This opens up even more possibilities.

If I decide to go back to single GPU I'd look at the Nova though. It looks compelling enough.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; June 25, 2015 at 07:20 AM.