Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2015, 11:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
The benefit of Freesync/G-Sync diminishes if you are pushing 100+ fps, compared to ULMB or even just basic operation of 144hz. Unlike the ROG Swift, the XB270HU's response time is linked to refresh rate, so the higher the frames you can get, the better your response time as well.

I will admit the XB270HU was fantastic, but unfortunately it had dust behind the screen and dead pixels so it was returned. I have been waiting since the ROG Swift's announcement for an IPS variant of the 2560x1440/144hz/Gsync(/Freesync) combination, and am hoping the PG279Q has decent QC out the gate if Acer doesn't sort things out.
Agreed, both G-Sync and FreeSync aren't that good at 100+ FPS, where they are good is in the 30/40-75 range and lower.

The low end is where G-Sync beats FreeSync pretty handily. Both my G-Sync monitors are 30-144Hz, most of the FreeSync are 40+ Hz.

On 4K monitors with VRR, you are much more likely to see lower FPS, and thus you need a better lower end VRR, which means G-Sync.

Having said all that, I see NOTHING to make me want to sell 2 monitors and a video card and "switch teams". AMD will have to do a LOT better job at multiple things to get people like me to bother to switch.
Old June 24, 2015, 11:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Errr, what's so fancy about it compared to a scythe/corsair/noctua etc? Or more apples to apples, compared to the fan on an EVGA hybrid, kraken, HXXX, etc?
Well, the stock fan IS a Nidec/Scythe Gentle Tyhpoon (Basically the AP-14).
Old June 24, 2015, 11:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It did not live up to the hype unfortunately. A bit slower, less OC headroom, and the VRMs are hot.

Basically the choices boil down to:
1. Get the 980Ti
2. Wait it out for the 16nm chips to come next year (probably a 300mm^2 chip again)

Sigh ... I had been hoping for a Titan-X beating chip, that way Nvidia would release a cheaper 980 Ti with 3072 cores.

I think that AMD should have released with 96 ROPs. A v2 with HBM will be pretty good, as will a Maxwell with HBM on top of it (should improve power efficiency even more and by extension, OC headroom).

Off topic, but is OCN down right now for everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '47 Knucklehead View Post
Well, the stock fan IS a Nidec/Scythe Gentle Tyhpoon (Basically the AP-14).

I will say this much - it's a good stock fan for water cooling. Indeed the best fan choice right now.

I don't get why more AIO partners don't used Gentle Typhoons by default.
Old June 24, 2015, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Hmmm. A furyX and a freesync monitor is cheaper than a 980ti and a gsync monitor. Plus you get watercooling. But, gsync is currently a better solution than freesync. The 980ti gets 10% in a few games but generally they are too close to call.
Me. I'm gonna leg out my 7970's and lightboost 27" until we get a die shrink. Then no more xfire or sli for me.
BTW Folks. If you don't have a lightboost/freesync/gsync solution yet you are wasting your time. These technologies are far more crucial to a good smooth gaming experience than framerate.
Yes.. but IF your overclocking, the Ti can hit 1500mhz quite easily with a good cooler (have seen 1700+) hell the reference 980ti tested here at 50% fan speed hit 1350.

The performance difference (and availability and mark-up) will still make the 980Ti better for many.

I don't disagree that a 970 with a gsync monitor (or 144hz lightboost) is definitely the way to go if funds are lacking.. but when talking about a GPU and monitor in these price-ranges, then most will be able to afford both (that are looking)

That said, the amount of people I still see going for 980's and 980ti's on 1080 is just plain silly.. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverton View Post
I have to say the results I'm seeing on various sites are disappointing considering all the hype there was for this card. The only hope for it now is DX12 and a price drop in the near future. Some competition would be nice in the GPU sector considering how Nvidia doesn't shy away from keeping prices high.

At this point in time it looks like getting two R9 390s in crossfire would be a better bet for performance at roughly the same cost as a fury.
pair of 290's would be even better value.. if at 4k, go for 8GB 290's. Used if possible :D Best value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Why is no one mentioned the fan AMD is using? Never once has a company used such a stellar fan right out of the box.
Yes but the point is defeated with the pump noise..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by SugarJ; June 24, 2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old June 24, 2015, 01:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

AMD needed to cut down the amount of shadders and raise the amount of ROPS. They could have also cut down the amount of DP. That would have improved performance and efficiency for Fiji and add the HBM factor, I could easily see this beating Titan X and 980 Ti in all resolutions. However, once again AMD fails to deliver with their hype. Someone needs to shake up their R&D before it's too late. I will stick with my 290X and my next upgrade will either be the 980 Ti KP or Matrix edition, if not then it will be Pascal.
Old June 24, 2015, 01:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Hmmm. A furyX and a freesync monitor is cheaper than a 980ti and a gsync monitor. Plus you get watercooling. But, gsync is currently a better solution than freesync. The 980ti gets 10% in a few games but generally they are too close to call.
Me. I'm gonna leg out my 7970's and lightboost 27" until we get a die shrink. Then no more xfire or sli for me.
BTW Folks. If you don't have a lightboost/freesync/gsync solution yet you are wasting your time. These technologies are far more crucial to a good smooth gaming experience than framerate.
100% agree. Lightboost/free/g-sync are still much better for hardcore gaming than a few frames difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
AMD needed to cut down the amount of shadders and raise the amount of ROPS. They could have also cut down the amount of DP. That would have improved performance and efficiency for Fiji and add the HBM factor, I could easily see this beating Titan X and 980 Ti in all resolutions. However, once again AMD fails to deliver with their hype. Someone needs to shake up their R&D before it's too late. I will stick with my 290X and my next upgrade will either be the 980 Ti KP or Matrix edition, if not then it will be Pascal.

Again 100% in agreement, Hero1.

Even another 16 ROPs would have made performance stronger. My only hope is that there is "something left in the tank".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
The benefit of Freesync/G-Sync diminishes if you are pushing 100+ fps, compared to ULMB or even just basic operation of 144hz. Unlike the ROG Swift, the XB270HU's response time is linked to refresh rate, so the higher the frames you can get, the better your response time as well.

I will admit the XB270HU was fantastic, but unfortunately it had dust behind the screen and dead pixels so it was returned. I have been waiting since the ROG Swift's announcement for an IPS variant of the 2560x1440/144hz/Gsync(/Freesync) combination, and am hoping the PG279Q has decent QC out the gate if Acer doesn't sort things out.
No motion blur reduction according to TFTCentral though. That's a deal breaker for me. Without F/G-sync and ULMB for high-quality gaming there isn't anything that comes close.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Last edited by 10e; June 24, 2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old June 24, 2015, 02:10 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
100% agree. Lightboost/free/g-sync are still much better for hardcore gaming than a few frames difference.

No motion blur reduction according to TFTCentral though. That's a deal breaker for me. Without F/G-sync and ULMB for high-quality gaming there isn't anything that comes close.
You have to be rather wealthy to afford a rig capable of delivering sustained 120FPS @ 2560x1440 though. I wouldn't mind using ULMB for the desktop but unfortunately Nvidia makes it a hassle to do. I'm not going to go and enable GSYNC in the control panel everytime I want to game.

The cost increase of GSYNC over similar Freesync displays IMO not worth it.

Last edited by lowfat; June 24, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old June 24, 2015, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I was confused about your response to me at first 10e, but I think I understand now with lowfat's response.

PG279Q = Gsync/ULMB <-- this is the one I was actually referring to
MG279Q = Freesync, no ULMB

Both 27", 2560x1440, 144hz, IPS.

Old June 24, 2015, 06:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, not as good as many had hoped, but certainly not as bad as many have feared.

My biggest concern is not with the performance (nothing's ready for single card 4K uber gaming yet IMO... ;) ) but instead with the cooling. Not only does having an AIO limit usage, the fact that it's an oversized rad makes me wonder about being able to fit it into any case without it taking up a 2X120mm mounting spot.

Was there anything about radiator orientation in the docs you folks got? Is there a "right side up" when it's installed vertically? Can it be installed horizontally on either a top or bottom mount?

Maybe I'm asking too much, but from a configuration POV, we'd have a much better range of case compatibility if we had the ability to re-configure the hose location to either top or rear of the shroud.

Overall though, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is a sign of good things to come.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old June 24, 2015, 07:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What I dislike about these AIO watercooled cards is that it doesn't support those of us with custom loops. Removing a heatsink and putting it aside is one thing, removing a whole AIO watercooler to replace it with a fullcover block seems absolutely wasteful since it could easily save $50-100 from the cost of the card.