Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2015, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OK so we can clearly see the card was tuned to beat GTX 980. Nvidia releasing GTX 980Ti kinda made AMD stumble a bit and took the wind from their sales. All is left now is driver improvement to be worked on and ...availability.
Old June 24, 2015, 05:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Don't forget DX12 which apparently makes virtually all GCN cards fly in comparison to what they currently do more oft then not, and given time I am sure it will be even more so as AMD had no small hand in its development and features which GCN gain the lions share of them, where most Nvidia cards simply do not, besides fancier tessellation :)
Old June 24, 2015, 05:47 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I was hoping Fury X would at least be on par with the 980 Ti. This nonsense of getting blown away at sub 1440p resolutions is really disappointing. I still game at 1080p @ 144hz so Fury seems like a no-go unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with some driver sorcery.
Old June 24, 2015, 05:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
OK so we can clearly see the card was tuned to beat GTX 980. Nvidia releasing GTX 980Ti kinda made AMD stumble a bit and took the wind from their sales. All is left now is driver improvement to be worked on and ...availability.
Sorry, drivers should be a COMPLETE non-issue right now. If the drivers aren't ready....DON'T LAUNCH THE DAMN CARD!!!
Old June 24, 2015, 05:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default I called it! AMD hit a wall with GDDR5 and that water cooling wasn't for overclocking

"Another pressing question is whether or not the Fury X and its $649 price tag will put any downwards pressure on NVIDIA’s GTX 980Ti."

ROFLMAO! That's a joke right? Sucking up to AMD? nVIDIA has hardware, software and its reputation to justify staying at $649. AMD has a card and some ghetto software. AMD will be the one dropping their price.

OMG I can't stop laughing at that overclock performance with a 500w rated water cooler and HBM!!!
Old June 24, 2015, 05:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic1024 View Post
"Another pressing question is whether or not the Fury X and its $649 price tag will put any downwards pressure on NVIDIA’s GTX 980Ti."

ROFLMAO! That's a joke right? Sucking up to AMD? nVIDIA has hardware, software and its reputation to justify staying at $649. AMD has a card and some ghetto software. AMD will be the one dropping their price.

OMG I can't stop laughing at that overclock performance with a 500w rated water cooler and HBM!!!
Did you read the next line??

Given the current situation, I really don’t think that is going to happen since we’re being presented with a statistical tie at 4K and a clear loss at 1440P.
Old June 24, 2015, 06:13 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Did you read the next line??

Given the current situation, I really don’t think that is going to happen since we’re being presented with a statistical tie at 4K and a clear loss at 1440P.
hahaha
Old June 24, 2015, 06:15 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I'm disappointed after reading a few other reviews that popped out at the same time. Sure it can keep up with the 980ti in 4k, but not everyone does 4k. For the same cost as one, AMD should be clearly able to keep pace or beat the 980ti (in the very least) in 1440p.

At least I now know I will still have a fatter wallet after today's reviews. I'll keep my trifire 290x cooking a little longer. Please AMD just fix the f'ing crossfire issues.

My fear is this is like the old days of 3dfx. They were pushing tech to the limit and missed the mark with their last product and boasted about their next gen ahead of the curve Rampage coming soon. Then delivering half assed voodoo 4/5 product by just sticking more chips on one board as delay tactics (sadly the 4 on board v5 6000 never made it to market). It was still older tech that ran its course and they were running out of money. Funds finally run dry and Nvidia is there to pick the meat from the corpse.

I give kudos for AMD to be bold to get HBM off the ground, but it certainly looks like they stuck it with the old tonga architecture with a few revisions to get it to GCN1.3 and sell it at a high price hoping to get their investment back. Don't blame them for trying, but after today I'm not so sure many will be jumping for joy to purchase something that doesn't warrant the cost associated with it. I hope I'm wrong.

My gut feeling going back to 3dfx history may repeat itself once again, is AMD will be talking more about 490X GPU in a month. Hell they already showcased a fury x2 card as a delay tactic.
Samsung 950 Pro m.2 @ Gen3 x4 32Gbps | Seagate 4Tb with 256 SSD cache | Corsair Obsidian 800D | Seasonic X-1250
HeatKiller 3.0 | EK RX Vega WB | TFC Exchanger Quad Rad |Thermochill PA120.3 rad|TFC Dual rad | Scythe Gentle Typhoon (x9) |Swiftech MCP655 (x2) | Koolance bay Resevior
Old June 24, 2015, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassic1024 View Post

Take a breath a breath and hop off the overreaction train......

Overall, I'd say this card is not quite a 'victory' for AMD, but definitely a more good news than bad. Having a Single digit performance percentage difference from a 980Ti at the same price point might sound like a 'good but kind of meh' product, but I think with a good promo or two (or at least solid availability), they could drum up some decent sales for this one. I doubt prices will shift substantially from either company right away, but if one has lower manufacturing/component costs, they could stand to really sweep under the other price wise (I'd suspect a 980Ti's cheaper to produce due to the lack of the AIO, but that's just me guessing) AIO coolers are really coming into their own as of the last few years, and that might be a point in the card's favor too, regardless if it's there out of necessity or not.

I haven't kept up with the folding scene, so I'm not too sure if high end AMD cards are at all still in demand for it, but I'm curious if they'll end up getting a sales spike like past cards or not.

I think it's a good step for nVidia. I'd still lean to a 980Ti over it when prices are equal, but more so because I like a cooler and more quiet card, rather than the small performance difference between the two. If I'm going to WC, I'll do the whole system, rather than one component so the AIO doesn't get any points for me personally, but for someone intimidated by building their own (potentially leaky) loop, this coupled with a Corsair Hydro or a Kraken is an easy 'completely water cooled' PC haha (ignoring board, mem and drive cooling, but they're not really heat-pumping components anymore)
Old June 24, 2015, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AWW HWC is just another AMD fanboy site!!!

Just kidding!! Great review, appreciate the detail.

This para was in fact the key thing I was looking for:

"Another pressing question is whether or not the Fury X and its $649 price tag will put any downwards pressure on NVIDIA’s GTX 980Ti. Given the current situation, I really don’t think that is going to happen since we’re being presented with a statistical tie at 4K and a clear loss at 1440P. Fiji’s availability has yet to be determined as well and if anything, that will ultimately dictate whether or not NVIDIA feels the need to adjust their pricing."

I applaud AMD for catching up (nearly) and besting NVIDIA in some 4K instances but given the price of the Fury X... showing up some places for preorder at $829 CDN or more, I just don't see the compelling argument for buying this over a 980 Ti. Hopefully the near equal performance might move us closer to a competative market again in the next iteration of cards but I am just not seeing it with the Fury X. If I had a preference for AMD at least now there is an option that provides similar performance for a similar (albeit high end) price but it isn't the card or the pricing to pull me away from NVIDIA at this point.

About the cooler, I like liquid AIO coolers, but couldn't this pose a real issue for people who want to build Crossfire Fury X card systems without doing a full custom loop? Some cases might support putting two, maybe three of the rads in the front of a case, that might work, but I would think the options are limited, and more so if you have other AIO cooled components and rads already in case spots. Not to mention you would have tubing going everywhere to get to available fan mounts! This design might work for people building a complete custom loop if the existing rad could be removed and a user can more easily attach their own cooling. Certainly will be interesting to see how people incorporate them into Crossfire builds.

SKYMTL: would you ever consider going back after a few driver revs to update the review to see if 1440p performance improves? I know drivers should be ready at launch but the low performance at that res is perplexing...

Last edited by Lysrin; June 24, 2015 at 06:34 AM. Reason: typo, grammer fix, one extra comment