Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2015, 08:04 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

There is talk of variable strobing freesync/gsync monitors is there not? That would be the holy grail.
Old June 25, 2015, 08:16 AM
F@H

Finally listened to the Youtube review of the card, wow not impressed by the sound of card when it's running.
Old June 25, 2015, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect

Is there any chance that the none x version wil have some better oc headroom?
Old June 25, 2015, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They indicated that is a defect in the review units they sent out (pump issue) and is corrected for the release models. The coil whine though... not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
There is talk of variable strobing freesync/gsync monitors is there not? That would be the holy grail.

So, just to clarify before I proceed with an answer to that, for people who may be unaware:

ULMB = "Ultra Low Motion Blur", which is the official term for backlight strobing for Nvidia monitors equipped with Gsync modules that utilize it. It is the "official" way that came out in response to the Lightboost hacks that were taking advantage of strobing for blur reduction. I don't think any IPS Freesync screens have blur reduction at the moment (I see the BenQ XL2730Z does, but it's TN)

I haven't heard anything recently with respect to Gsync/Freesync and ULMB working together, due to the inherent conflicting nature of the technologies. Since strobing actually occurs specific intervals, it is contradictory to Gsync/Freesync which are working to provide variable refresh rates to remove screen tearing and "smooth" out the experience. I am not sure if Nvidia is working behind scenes to try and get both working together, maybe they will surprise us when the Gsync 2 module monitors (PG279Q) come out?

Last edited by Vittra; June 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old June 25, 2015, 08:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The whole pump whine issue is just, IMO, another example of how this card was not really ready for prime time and pushed out the door to counter nVidia.

Much like how FreeSync was pushed out the door to counter G-Sync.

Is AMD going to be able to fix this issue BEFORE shipping of Fury X, or are they going to have the same sort of nightmare with FreeSync and you have to ship your BenQ monitor back to be fixed?
Old June 25, 2015, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
I'm no expert but this seems like a pretty innovative compact card that provides a demo of the future. Packing all that tech on the 28nm node. Guess they will iron out the kinks with drivers to allow better performance and ocing. Hopefully it's not bottlenecked by the stream processors. Anyway with the air cooled options coming and EK blocks to mount, this would make for a strong little card that is worth thinking about.
980Ti is rumored to be getting a price drop.. Untill they iron out the bugs, prove the pump doesn't whine in retail and get the overclocks going I'm gonna stick to advising the 980Ti.. it just makes more sense when they are evenly priced and in the current situation.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 25, 2015, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
SFF doesn't mean mITX. SFF means sub 20L cases. The Kimera Nova* will be a 17L mATX case, which is what I would be using.

Also, don't be so sure on ITX boards having 1x PCI-E slot forever. At this time, there are some rare ITX boards with 2x PCI-E slots (one is angled) like the Asus B85M-View Paker, (Link to manual with board specs)

Mini-DTX is also an official spec, encompassing 2x PCI-E slots (not necessarily both full speed either physically or electrically), but I've only seen it on low chipset boards at the moment - the latest is this one - ASRock H91M-XT PLUS

Some people have used an H81 variant of a DTX board in their M1.

*name will change in the future
Fair enough.. Just don't see many SFF that are matx or have more than 2 expansion slots which means dumping all the heat in the case or a full cover block.. Fury x2 or 990Ti would be better solution IMO for dual gpu core sff.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 25, 2015, 09:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
980Ti is rumored to be getting a price drop.. Untill they iron out the bugs, prove the pump doesn't whine in retail and get the overclocks going I'm gonna stick to advising the 980Ti.. it just makes more sense when they are evenly priced and in the current situation.
I see other tech sites babying the Fury by saying 'omg, wait till the drivers are proper'.

Ive heard this for about 6 years from AMD. I'm still waiting.

Until they drop a card and have proper working support I'll stick with Team Green. This isnt to say that nVidia has been perfect, but more often then not they're better TODAY then what AMD is 6 months later. That is a lot of time to use a card vs 'wait for a fix/proper update'
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 25, 2015, 09:29 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I see other tech sites babying the Fury by saying 'omg, wait till the drivers are proper'.

Until they drop a card and have proper working support I'll stick with Team Green. This isnt to say that nVidia has been perfect, but more often then not they're better TODAY then what AMD is 6 months later. That is a lot of time to use a card vs 'wait for a fix/proper update'

I agree , I'm one of the people who also think along the lines of wait for a good driver etc.

BUT that has not stopped me from selling customers 980GTX's & 980TI's rather than wait for AMD for the last week strait.

If you want a card NOW that is going to work FORSURE then the 980GTX/TI is your best bet.
If you want to WAIT and see what happens before you buy then thats what i would do in that situation, Wait and see what AMD's Fury/x does if you can wait.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -Guest PC
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
Crossfired [email protected]/1500mhz-EKWB (Main)|[email protected]/1850 (HTPC)
MSI 970GTX (Guest) ||[email protected]/2000 (work)
Old June 25, 2015, 10:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post

It's like a broken record. AMD has had some good progress in extracting performance from older models like the 7970/R9 280X over their lifespan, as well as the r9 290/x models, but it seems to me that it's because the hardware is solid but the drivers start out weak.

This begs the question, whether or not one wants to get performance later or earlier. I'd rather have it within a short period of time of receiving the product. This has been AMD's downfall, especially since they cut their driver team size a few years back.

I can understand other reviewer sites saying that as a possibility, but they seem to treat it as a foregone conclusion.

I had a pre-order of the Fury and have since cancelled it. Too many "what ifs" in my books. What if the drivers improve? What if DX12 minimizes VRAM use and 4GB proves to be enough? What if later batches OC better than current ones?

What if I just don't buy it and wait it out.

My 980Ti is waiting for my water block.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732