Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23, 2015, 10:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I seriously hope these and and the Skylake's get announced/soft-released at computex. I've got the upgrade itch and the mitx build that's my in between from X58 to whatever I get next is just not beefy enough.

I'd really just like to know if I'll decide to go Z170 or X99 and throw a 980Ti in it or not. If it's not at least 6gb I'll look at going another route. My X58 lasted from the release until last winter so I'd like to get another system that has some life length.

Though there's this original Titan for sale nearby.....
The Pascal GPU will come with NVLink which will require a new motherboard, don't know if it's intended for a consumer though.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistpavel View Post
The Pascal GPU will come with NVLink which will require a new motherboard, don't know if it's intended for a consumer though.
Err, yeah. I thought NVLink was for Server/Quadro cards, and was kind of like 'Super-SLI' without the bridge. But I didn't think it was going to be for the GTX 9XX cards (though I'm going off vague memories from a short news snippet I read).
Old May 23, 2015, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Should see a hard launch of Broadwell at Computex and Skylake announcement of late August/early September availability.

We more or less already know what Skylake is giving us though.

-Another ~5% or so IPC improvement
-The FIVR will no longer be in the CPU, providing a potential for increased overclock-ability
-The chipset will receive 20x PCI-E 3.0 lanes to replace it's aged 8x PCI-E 2.0 - this is argueably the best thing about it, when keeping in mind the future of storage (NVMe).
-A much better iGPU (Likely ~5% improvement compared to Iris Pro 5200 on Crystal Well, essentially).

Not sure why everyone expects to see a 980 Ti launch this week. Reviewers on various sites are not so subtly saying "Don't count on it". We probably will see the 390X announced at Computex, with little to no actual availability.

Old May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Should see a hard launch of Broadwell at Computex and Skylake announcement of late August/early September availability.

We more or less already know what Skylake is giving us though.

-Another ~5% or so IPC improvement
-The FIVR will no longer be in the CPU, providing a potential for increased overclock-ability
-The chipset will receive 20x PCI-E 3.0 lanes to replace it's aged 8x PCI-E 2.0 - this is argueably the best thing about it, when keeping in mind the future of storage (NVMe).
-A much better iGPU (Likely ~5% improvement compared to Iris Pro 5200 on Crystal Well, essentially).

Not sure why everyone expects to see a 980 Ti launch this week. Reviewers on various sites are not so subtly saying "Don't count on it". We probably will see the 390X announced at Computex, with little to no actual availability.
Yeah, I'm not expecting a miracle chip, Cpu gains will be intel's normal single digit percentage bump, but I'd like to see it come out in hopes of seeing it either A) drop the X99 prices down a bit
B) Be overall a better choice than x99 in which case I'll go Z170.

There's lots of rumors that it'll be announced at least (if not 'released') at computex
Nvidia rumoured to be preparing GTX 980 Ti launch for Computex - Graphics - News - HEXUS.net
but whether or not they're reliable is another matter.

I agree on availability either way. I would think AMD would be planning on making availability a priority since it's been a while since their last major release and even longer since an out of the park success, but who knows what they're doing lately.
Old May 23, 2015, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Broadwell's GPU has 20% more EUs compared to Haswell's GPU, at all levels : has 48 EU in it's top end 6100/6200 model! Iris Pro 6100 is the 48 EU model relying on system RAM for help, while the 6200 model is the one accompanied by the famous 128MB DRAM and is anyone's guess how it will perform. Apparently Intel is taking a jab at the low end workstation GPU market, like displacing low end Quadro cards like, for example Quadro 600. Some more details here Intel Iris Graphics 6100 - NotebookCheck.net Tech
Old May 24, 2015, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice review. Seems like a great card for someone that likes to push high clocks, but doesn't want to build a custom water setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Nice review, though would have liked to see pictures underneath the shroud. Looks like a beast card.
Agree. I would like to see under the shroud as well to see how the air cooler portion is integrated (does it actively cool everything?).
Old November 17, 2015, 07:55 AM
MVP

I ended up buying the Evga hybrid addon kit for my PNY gtx 980. Its brilliant, oc's now to 1600+ and doesnt ever pass 40degrees. I was tired of how noisey the card was while playing. Now my pc is so quiet.