Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2015, 06:06 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD's FreeSync; A Long-Term Review (Comment Thread)

AMD's FreeSync has been a hot topic of discussion and after weeks of intensive use, we're finally ready to put our thoughts down on paper. Is it everything we hoped it would be?

Read more here: AMD's FreeSync; A Long-Term Review

FINALLY!!!!
Old May 11, 2015, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Monitor refresh. FreeSyncs Achilles heel. Are there FS monitors that will be coming out that go as low as 25Hz? And at what cost? Though, for now I suppose one could simply walk into Mord....er, lower detail settings to ensure the refresh never dips below 40FPS. Not I deal, but at least AMD have several options to fix this in the future.
Old May 11, 2015, 07:50 PM

I don't think the 25Hz would really matter since flickering would occur. FreeSync and DP Adaptive Sync need a way to better compensate for lower framerate situations. I'd guess they will eventually modulate the refresh rate to framerate lock differently at lower registers. IE: 2:1 instead of 1:1.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:32 AM
Top Prospect

So when G-Sync drops below 40fps it will jump up to 78hz and display every frame twice? Because you figure everything below 72hz on a 144hz they could just double up frames all the way down to avoid getting cut off at 40hz. So when it hits 72fps jump back up to 144hz, or is it that transition that is too distracting to be practical?
Old May 12, 2015, 04:45 AM

NVIDIA hasn't officially stated what they are doing in the background that allows for a smooth transition below the monitor's native synced refresh rate. I have some theories but none I'd be willing to post until I'm 100% certain.
Old May 12, 2015, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrJU5d2RfA

Here is a great video showing off what G-Sync and what FreeSync does at low frame rates. Note a different FreeSync monitor will work differently while every G-Sync monitor should act the same.

Though to be honest you don't really want to play games at low frame rates anyway so it isn't a huge deal IMO but G-Sync is the superior implementation at the moment.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 12, 2015, 07:31 AM

I don't agree. While FPS and racing games really do need higher framerates, games like Shadow of Mordor, GTA, Total War, CoH, etc. play perfectly at 35-40 FPS. Lower registers are also where the usual V-SYNC stutter is much more apparent.

The main problem is that in-game framerates are not a consistent affair. Even if you have the game tuned to run 60+ FPS, there still may be times when a particularly demanding scene drags performance down towards 40. Imagine modifying settings in BF4 to insure an AVERAGE of 60 and then you get into a firefight and certain times FPS hits 30-35. Well, that 30-35, which is still playable suddenly becomes 20 on FreeSync, forcing even more image quality sacrifices.

Right now FreeSync is a complementary technology to G-SYNC rather than a competitor IMO.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:38 PM
Top Prospect

Asus MG279Q is said to be a 144hz panel that supports freesync that works inbetween 35-90hz This bodes well for there monitors that will match or beat gsync on the low end by the end of the year early 2016.
Old May 13, 2015, 05:22 PM
Trial Member

It's funny how AMD always does things that makes themselves look bad.

It was quite obvious from the beginning that Freesync wasn't going to be as good as G-sync.

If AMD had said we're going to give you a comparable technology for free, they'd look quite good right now.

Instead, they went and claimed it would be better. Yet every review has shown that it's not better, it's not even as good.

I'm sure, in time, they will get the bugs worked out and it will work well.

Good job as usual Sky.
Old May 13, 2015, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler484 View Post
It's funny how AMD always does things that makes themselves look bad.

It was quite obvious from the beginning that Freesync wasn't going to be as good as G-sync.

If AMD had said we're going to give you a comparable technology for free, they'd look quite good right now.

Instead, they went and claimed it would be better. Yet every review has shown that it's not better, it's not even as good.

I'm sure, in time, they will get the bugs worked out and it will work well.

Good job as usual Sky.
I don't think many people had expectations of it being better. I know I didn't feel that way in the slightest. An expensive hardware solution (like gsync) is going to have an advantage of the software based implementation (freesync). The bottom line is many people (myself included) aren't willing to foot the bill of the hardware implementation.

I think they are off to an amazing start. Getting a 90% solution at a much lower price tag is appealing. I am curious how the bugs will work out....but more importantly where the price stabilizes.