Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2015, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

Default MSI GTX 970 Gaming Gold edition overclocking

So I am not at home right now and I cannot give you guys exact numbers...but I have been reading about over clocking the non gold edition on HARDOCP and they were able to get the non gold edition which is clocked lower out of the box up to GPU Core Clock 1506mhz and Memory clock to 2000Mhz. Now they did this with out any voltage, so my issue is I have been playing around with mine and even with voltage I could not get it up past 1420Mhz and 2000Mhz. I was running the video tester that is built into GPU-z and also I tried the one built into MSI afterburner which is what they seem to be running on this site.

The article does mention Boost Clock vs actual clock "Boost: 1253MHz / Actual: 1366MHz" but screenshots of his GPU-z show GPU core clock as the speeds he calls boost so I am not sure if maybe there is something I need to change to make mine show actual if they are only showing boost........

I know this is not a ton of information but might anyway have any idea why there would be such a huge discrepancy?

Here is the article.
HARDOCP - Overclocking - MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G Video Card Review
Old January 29, 2015, 09:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Is 1420MHz the setting or the actual clock speed seen by logging tools. Remember, due to GPU Boost, those two elements are no longer one and the same.
Old January 29, 2015, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The first page of the article explains what they mean by "Actual".

Cards can push past their rated boost depending on both TDP and Heat thresholds.

Gaming, unlock benchmarking, does not typically put a consistent full load on the card, so it can push past it's specified boost clock for brief periods of time. There are obviously exceptions to this, and you will see the boost is lower accordingly.

The vendor only guarantees the specified boost clocks - anything beyond is considered an exceptionally performing card.

Old January 29, 2015, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

When you OC a 9xx series (and 7xx series in fact too) it doesnt take into account the 'boost' boost actual clock speed. Yeah, that makes sense right?

The cards will run at a certain level, but that doesnt mean what you OC to is what the card will run at in game. The best way to see this is something like Afterburner while in game. For example, my 4G gaming runs at 1550 in game, but my OC is only +133mhz (maybe its +150, I forget exactly) over stock MSI 4G clocks. The likelyhood of your numbers vs the articles (1253-1366) is that your 1420 OC is running at ~1530 in game, give or take.

That being said, just because one card reaches a level doesnt mean your card will too. Welcome to the silicon lottery!
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 29, 2015, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Is 1420MHz the setting or the actual clock speed seen by logging tools. Remember, due to GPU Boost, those two elements are no longer one and the same.
In relation to this picture from the article my GPU Core clock reads 1420 vice the picture that reads 1506.9. I got my numbers just from using the MSI afterburner Kombuster. Even with Voltage I could not get mine above 1447 and the below picture was without voltage. Is it possible that the picture below is taken from a test of in came performance vice something like the MSI video stress test in Afterburner?

Old January 29, 2015, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

Also the MSI site and new egg list the boost clock at 1317mhz and mine is only 1304mhz does this matter? Should it not at least meet the clock that they advertise?
Old January 29, 2015, 10:33 AM

Don't use the MSI loading program. Run Unigine Heaven or a game.
Old January 29, 2015, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Don't use the MSI loading program. Run Unigine Heaven or a game.
Ok I will try this later when I am home. Thank you.

Also any comment on the card not meeting the specs they state on the box?
Old January 29, 2015, 11:16 AM

Post screenshots of GPU-Z when running a normal program. If it doesn't hit the stated Base Clock, they you've got a problem.
Old January 29, 2015, 11:43 AM
Top Prospect

Does running Unigine Heaven count or just run a movie? Not sure what is considered a normal program.