Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2015, 01:01 AM
Top Prospect

Default GTX 970 Memory allocation issue

AnandTech | NVIDIA Publishes Statement on GeForce GTX 970 Memory Allocation

"For the moment with so few answers in hand we’re not going to spend too much time trying to guess what it is NVIDIA has done, but from NVIDIA’s statement it’s clear that there’s some additional investigating left to do. If nothing else, what we’ve learned today is that we know less than we thought we did, and that’s never a satisfying answer. To that end we’ll keep digging, and once we have the answers we need we’ll be back with a deeper answer on how the GTX 970’s memory subsystem works and how it influences the performance of the card."

So is hwc and skymtl planning to investigate the performance ramifications when VRAM usage goes above 3.5 GB on GTX 970. Right now a host of games cross the 3.5 GB limit at at 1440p and 4K . Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, AC Unity, Dead Rising 3 and Lords of the Fallen do it at 1440p and 4k. Watch Dogs, Farcry 4, Ryse Son of Rome do it at 4K.

The results of such an investigation will help users make an informed decision when making their 2015 GPU purchases to play next gen games like Witcher 3 and Star Citizen.
Old January 25, 2015, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's a bit pointless to test an issue which the manufacturer is looking into until we hear from them about what the issue is and how they are going to fix it.. It may be driver / firmware only need to remedy but there could be a recall on the way too.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old January 25, 2015, 08:08 AM
MVP

You think they knew this was an issue and just hoped no one would notice?
Old January 25, 2015, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The link provided shows that Nvidia found the same %fps between a 980 and a 970 when using >3.5vram. According to them this proves there is no issue with the setup. Unless someone does testing that disproves this I think its mostly case closed.
Old January 25, 2015, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
The link provided shows that Nvidia found the same %fps between a 980 and a 970 when using >3.5vram. According to them this proves there is no issue with the setup. Unless someone does testing that disproves this I think its mostly case closed.
Yeah. Cause when a manufacturer tells you 'oh its fiiiine' you just say "Well, Case closed!"

Ive got a grreeeat bridge to sell you!

How about some independent investigation to analyse the issue and verify there isnt (or is) an issue. I like that idea much better.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 25, 2015, 10:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm running tests as we speak. Truth be told, there are some things that need to be taken into account:

NVAPI has NEVER read proper memory allocations on cut down cards. This is nothing new.

NVIDIA cannot answer questions about SM allocations and ROP implementation through memory partitions in huge detail since it would directly influence the competitive landscape.

In my prelim testing in applications that consume more than 3.5GB and less than 3.5GB at 1440P (Shadows of Mordor, Crysis 3 with texture mods, Far Cry 4 and Hitman: Absolution) I have seen no indication that the GTX 970 reduces its performance more than an R9 290X, TITAN or GTX 980 when making the transition. After a few hours of testing thus far this looks to me like a tempest in a teapot.

Though it is once again interesting to see how many folks automatically jump on the conspiracy train.
Old January 25, 2015, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Yeah. Cause when a manufacturer tells you 'oh its fiiiine' you just say "Well, Case closed!"

Ive got a grreeeat bridge to sell you!

How about some independent investigation to analyse the issue and verify there isnt (or is) an issue. I like that idea much better.
I am not saying that we have to trust them, but I am saying that nvidia responded, and its much more official than the random comments that were accusing them. Never saw anything actually proving a fps drop above 3.5gb besides people freaking out.
Old January 25, 2015, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Though it is once again interesting to see how many folks automatically jump on the conspiracy train.
It's the internet Sky, everything's a conspiracy, and if you're not ranting against it you're clearly part of the big pharma/illuminati/big gov't/media/global banking/Bildeberger/Van Halen secret coverup machine.
Old January 25, 2015, 01:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Look, once again we aren't the first on this one since I'd rather post meaningful results rather than clickbait.

I have been able to recreate the issue though but not in games.
Old January 25, 2015, 03:15 PM
Rookie

Wouldn't there be a massive recall if Nvidia admits there is an issue with the 970s? I believe they will drag this issue as long as possible and then launch a revision.
Closed Thread