Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2014, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That case will be fine.. Stick a fan on the side with some mesh to stop dust (cut up some stockings is an easy way)
PSU, I'm with the above also.. even a cheap but decent PSU is worth getting to protect the card alone, nevermind the rest of the rig. Make sure whatever your picking has had a professional review done of it... if you can't find one then it's probably not worth getting.

On the cpu, Agree with the above, watch some vids, it's pretty easy to do, just the next logical step.
When re-applying thermal paste, wipe off the old, use a small, pea sized, blob in middle of CPU and then place the cooler.
I tend to lift mine to make sure it's covering the whole cpu (if not add a tiny bit to the area not covered)
Your looking to get the best coverage with as little paste as possible for best results.

For overclocking, there are plenty of guids and youtube video's out there.. Just make sure you understand the settings your changing and what is a safe setting for it.
Then run a stress test, confirm stability at what is considered a reasonable 24/7 OC and your done.
It's a bit of work and research but well worth it if your not looking to / can't afford to upgrade.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; December 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old December 12, 2014, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Thank you all, guys!

In the end I bought This PSU and the Asus.

I'll search and buy some thermal paste, and change it when I'll mount the rest. I knew about the stocking trick, but in my experience, the static of the nylon ends up attracting even more dust forcing you to vacuum clean it every other day to prevent it to plug shut...

Thanks again a lot everyone!
Old December 21, 2014, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cheapest prices in Europe for hardware are in France at RueMontagallet.com. GTX 970 is not under 300 Euro but above. The cheapest one I saw was 296, a PNY 4 GB on a promotion at Pixmania.fr. From what I have seen they also have a branch in France that is close to Italy. But they also have branches in Italy, where the price for that card is just a bit higher at 309 Euro. PNY Scheda grafica GeForce GTX 970 Enthusiast Edition - 4 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 | Pixmania

Last edited by MARSTG; December 21, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

Tags
970 , best brand , nvidia