Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2008, 02:31 PM
Allstar

Default NVIDIA To "Simplify" Product Range

NVIDIA’s VP of Content Business Development recently told Gameindustry.biz that the company’s current range of products is over complicated and too confusing for the average consumer. Apparently the plan is to “simplify” their products to appeal to a broader audience.

"It is a challenge that we're looking at right now. There is a need to simplify it for consumers, there's no question," Taylor explained. "We think that the people who understand and know GeForce today, they're okay with it - they understand it. But if we're going to widen our appeal, there's no doubt that we have to solve that problem," he added.

I got it, how about changing the name to GeFast. Then you could have the GeFast, the GeFaster, the GeFastest and the GeFastest X2. Then there would be no mistake which one was faster.

Comments

More...
Old May 7, 2008, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol-and they pay people to work out that the naming scheme was too elaborate?? Take your time why dont you and tell us what we already know. What about names like ge-loser or ge-richboy.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you need a title like "VP of Content Business Development" I have little faith in your product naming conventions improving

The other major problem is things like releasing 4 different video cards within 12 months that all have the same name. Now THAT's confusing... even for the enthusiasts.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; May 7, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

They asking for more money? aren't they?
Old May 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, if they do simplify their naming scheme, more power to them. Of course, they're about to run out of four-digit designations anyway...

Sadly, I would say that there are FAR worse offenders than Nvidia in this department. Intel and AMD's processor naming conventions have been far more brutal, especially when it comes to distinguishing between different cache amounts, process sizes, and thermal envelopes. And don't get me started on some motherboard makers...