Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2014, 07:28 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Is this a faulty GPU problem? (See image)

Recently built a new PC.
I've got 2x GTX 760s in SLI - everything runs fine, I'm able to OC them about 120mhz +400mhz RAM running stable. I use them in a triple monitor 1080p setup

However, every now and then these black boxes appear (even when not OC'd) - is this an indication of anything?

They're both fully watercooled and never go over 45 degrees even after multiple benchmarks.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

windows 8?
Old August 5, 2014, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
windows 8?
Windows 8.1 with classic shell 4.0
Old August 5, 2014, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I ask because I notice in the pictures that you had there before showedthis only happening in what looked like explorer or windoqws explorer I have the same windows with the classic shell and this happens to me sometimes when I am using fierfox webbrowser I have to close it and reopeni t to get rid of the blocks but my desktop is fine, so I wonder if it is the classic shell or windows 8.1 or both.
I am using an 7770hd vid card so I hav a feeling that we both might have the same problem
Old August 5, 2014, 10:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I ask because I notice in the pictures that you had there before showedthis only happening in what looked like explorer or windoqws explorer I have the same windows with the classic shell and this happens to me sometimes when I am using fierfox webbrowser I have to close it and reopeni t to get rid of the blocks but my desktop is fine, so I wonder if it is the classic shell or windows 8.1 or both.
I am using an 7770hd vid card so I hav a feeling that we both might have the same problem
I see. I'm guessing it might be related to classic shell then.
However, this also happened to me a couple times after running Uningine Heaven 4.0 (after it crashed since I OC'd it too high, the windows showed black boxes).
Old August 14, 2014, 10:24 AM
Rookie

Mostly happens after a gpu benchmark fails these days. Anyone have a clue as to the root of the issue?
Old August 14, 2014, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Check event logs for your display driver crashing or recovering from an error. If that's happening, it's likely not recovering FULLY until you do a restart.

Old August 14, 2014, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It happens.. I see the regularly from intel to Nvidia to amd based systems.. it usually happens when the system starts running low on resources, I put it down to the OS (have seen it on Ubuntu as well.)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 17, 2014, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
It happens.. I see the regularly from intel to Nvidia to amd based systems.. it usually happens when the system starts running low on resources, I put it down to the OS (have seen it on Ubuntu as well.)
Alright, was afraid something was out of wack with my SLI configuration.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do not have much help here except to say try resizing the window instead of relaunching the program. And in addition to Dzzope, I have also seen this sort of thing happen on windows 8.1, 8.0, 7, etc, with AMD and Nvidia hardware. *shrug*