Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2014, 07:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS GTX 780 STRIX OC 6GB Review Comment Thread

ASUS' new STRIX is one of the few 6GB GTX 780 cards on the market but it has another trick up its sleeve: with 0db fan technology the STRIX runs completely silent in some situations.

Read more here: ASUS GTX 780 STRIX OC 6GB Review
Old July 27, 2014, 07:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It does not look like at 2560x1440 we will see any benefits of 6gb (and may see drawbacks like less RAM OC headroom). It's only with maybe SLI 4k that we'll see any benefits, it at all. Maybe on high resolution texture mods for some games too.

Looking at the FLIR though, I am worried somewhat about the VRM temperatures. This is a card that has sacrificed performance and perhaps higher temps in favor of noise.

In other words, it's a really niche product geared for the person who wants quiet over performance and is willing to pay a premium for it, along with those who maybe run at 4K (of course at that point we'd have to ask if the 290X is a better buy).

I hear the VRM Mosfets may not be up to par compared to the other top OC oriented PCBs. 5K caps too.

5K caps too. Top motherboards get 10K and the newer 12K caps are coming into service.

Whatever those MOSFETs are they are not DirectFETs like most top OC cards. I think they may be TI NextFETs. Can't tell though.
Old July 28, 2014, 04:41 AM

The caps here are pretty much par for the course since this isn't considered a top OC board. On the other hand, the higher end components are directed towards the Matrix, etc.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The caps here are pretty much par for the course since this isn't considered a top OC board. On the other hand, the higher end components are directed towards the Matrix, etc.
Probably that. This card has the same level of components that you'd see in the mainstream Asus motherboards. Same with some of the Direct CU II PCBs, although it varies by model. Some Direct CU IIs do have pretty decent upgraded PCBs. At least it comes with more phases though than the stock, but unfortunately the Mosfets are lower quality.

The Matrix PCBs generally tend to have components comparable to the top end ROG boards.

This card seems to have sacrificed it all just to be quiet, so to speak.

It's about ~$655 CAD right now with shipping. That's before taxes though.
ASUS STRIX-GTX780-OC-6GD5 GeForce GTX 780 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.ca

Hard to recommend imo, at this price point.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:47 AM

It's all about the market. This one isn't targeted towards extreme overclockers since it doesn't go above and beyond NVIDIA's preset limits. In that case, it could have a standard PCB + Digital IC and I'd still be perfectly satisfied.

Also remember that the so-called "5K" caps have literally the same lifespan as their higher end cousins. The only real difference is their potential input voltage and overall capacitance which, on this card at least, wouldn't make a lick of difference due to its inherent overclocking limitations. On the other hand, higher TDP ASICs like the GTX 780 and R9 290-series would benefit from updated caps.....maybe. In my opinion, the whole caps debate on these types of cards is more marketing than realism.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow I learned something new Nice review.
I sure wish I could afford a setup like what you used for testing this card .

I had always thought FPS was FPS and I thought that shuddering was caused either by drivers or bad gaming design but after reading this review I sort of understand more lol.
I don't think I ever heard of FCAT I actually looked it up _http://www.anandtech.com/show/6862/fcat-the-evolution-of-frame-interval-benchmarking-part-1/2_
I didn't read through that whole thing but can FCAT be used on AMD cards also?
Old July 28, 2014, 12:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Wow I learned something new Nice review.
I sure wish I could afford a setup like what you used for testing this card .

I had always thought FPS was FPS and I thought that shuddering was caused either by drivers or bad gaming design but after reading this review I sort of understand more lol.
I don't think I ever heard of FCAT I actually looked it up _http://www.anandtech.com/show/6862/fcat-the-evolution-of-frame-interval-benchmarking-part-1/2_
I didn't read through that whole thing but can FCAT be used on AMD cards also?
Yes, AMD cards suffer from the same problem, but handle it differently so the output is different too.

A lot of the problems can be solved if you use (triple) Frame Buffering and V-Sync, but that imposes other technical problems (output lag). Essentially there are always trade offs, except with G-Sync like mechanisms that pair the frame output with the display output.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 28, 2014, 02:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
It's all about the market. This one isn't targeted towards extreme overclockers since it doesn't go above and beyond NVIDIA's preset limits. In that case, it could have a standard PCB + Digital IC and I'd still be perfectly satisfied.
It's a matter of - for a $100 premium I guess 3gb more GDDR5 just isn't enough ... it becomes a question of what else do they offer.

But yeah I guess you are right. A guy like me is probably not the target market. I don't care too much about silence and I prefer they beef up the PCB.

Quote:
Also remember that the so-called "5K" caps have literally the same lifespan as their higher end cousins. The only real difference is their potential input voltage and overall capacitance which, on this card at least, wouldn't make a lick of difference due to its inherent overclocking limitations. On the other hand, higher TDP ASICs like the GTX 780 and R9 290-series would benefit from updated caps.....maybe. In my opinion, the whole caps debate on these types of cards is more marketing than realism.
If I remember correctly, it is the lifespan than these capacitors are designed to stand 105C for.

For example the 5K would be able to stand 5,000 hours at 105C.
The 12k versions then ought to be able to stand 12,000 hours at least at 105C.

I'm guessing it's similar to fans.

For example, the standard San Ace fans have an MBTF of 40k hours:
http://www.sanyodenki.com/archive/do...e_120G38_E.pdf

Then their long life has double that
http://www.sanyodenki.com/archive/do..._120GL38_E.pdf

On that note, generally the top regarded caps are the NEC Tokin Proadlizers, but they only seem to appear these days on top end GPUs. There seems to have been a shortage since the 2011 earthquake though so we don't see them as often.

For day to day though, you are right, they probably won't make a huge difference.
Old July 29, 2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzSleep View Post
It's a matter of - for a $100 premium I guess 3gb more GDDR5 just isn't enough ... it becomes a question of what else do they offer.

But yeah I guess you are right. A guy like me is probably not the target market. I don't care too much about silence and I prefer they beef up the PCB.

If I remember correctly, it is the lifespan than these capacitors are designed to stand 105C for.

For example the 5K would be able to stand 5,000 hours at 105C.
The 12k versions then ought to be able to stand 12,000 hours at least at 105C.

I'm guessing it's similar to fans.

For example, the standard San Ace fans have an MBTF of 40k hours:
http://www.sanyodenki.com/archive/do...e_120G38_E.pdf

Then their long life has double that
http://www.sanyodenki.com/archive/do..._120GL38_E.pdf

On that note, generally the top regarded caps are the NEC Tokin Proadlizers, but they only seem to appear these days on top end GPUs. There seems to have been a shortage since the 2011 earthquake though so we don't see them as often.

For day to day though, you are right, they probably won't make a huge difference.
Maybe I should have made it a bit clearer.

We have to remember that none of these capacitors will be running anywhere near their stated MTBF temperature limits. While "better" caps are always a welcome sight, its doubtful that there will be any benefits in typical consumer-market situations.

Plus, there's so much more to the equation than the caps themselves. For example, the PWM has to be designed in such a way that load is evenly balanced. Without that even the best capacitors can fail prematurely due to overt long-term stress.
Old July 30, 2014, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm not overly worried about the caps dying. There was a capacitor plague a few years back, but nowadays, most caps are fine. You are right that it won't do much for the intended demographic of the Strix card and that the PWM is very important too.

It was more an observation of which cards get what parts that interests me.