Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 11:26 AM
Bojamijams's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brantford, On
Posts: 263
Default

I'm not sure if I downloaded the Intel Management Engine Interface drivers.. that's about the only thing I can find as far as motherboard drivers (I assume you mean chipset?). I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt and I can't remember if I did install them or not.
__________________
Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x R9 290 @ 1050 / 1375 | ASUS VG248QE |

Audio: STX => Audioengine A5 / audio technica AD700X
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 11:32 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,563

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
I'm not sure if I downloaded the Intel Management Engine Interface drivers.. that's about the only thing I can find as far as motherboard drivers (I assume you mean chipset?). I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt and I can't remember if I did install them or not.
Heh... have a look at the win7 drivers and you'll see that you're missing stuff because you selected win 8.1 ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P8P67 EVO
__________________
MSI Z87I Gaming AC / i5 4670K / 2X 4G Gskill 1866 DDR3 / XFX XTR 750 / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / random 160G Sata HDD
Inwin 904 / Swiftech MCP655-b / Alphacool NexXxos XT45 120 Rad / 2X Scythe GT AP-15 / EK Supreme HF / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Hmm interesting. I wonder if that is the reason Silverstone abandoned the 90deg setup in the Raven 4. I love this setup way more then I ever though I would, and thermodynamically it makes a lot more sense then either of the other setups, so I was puzzled why it wasn't being pursued more.

But what would swapping the cards out do? They would still be rotated 90degrees. ALso temps will be quite difference as one is reference (ie. hot) and other is aftermarket.


Also, what kind of water cooling setup is that? It looks like an AIC that's been extended to work with GPUs. Is there another pump in your 5 1/4 space?
If you run the cards one by one and check temps we can determine if the Asus is having issues being suspended in the Raven 3. I ran a pair of Asus Direct CU GTX 670's in my Raven 3 and had no end of issues with them overheating. The reference card should be fine as this has no heatpipes. If they both run fine in this orientation then my best guess would be driver issues or again heat issues when in CF. How close are these cards to each other and what temps do they hit when gaming or when testing?

This WC system is based on a Swiftech Apogee 2 drive (pump and cpu block are integrated), makes for a cleaner loop. It's been very reliable.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 11:37 AM
Bojamijams's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brantford, On
Posts: 263
Default

The temps are great on the Asus. Never really hit more then 70C while gaming and no more then 80C when mining.

Do you know if the Win 8 repair is enough for the purposes of seeing if a reinstall would fix the issue or would it still keep certain settings that may be giving me the problems I have now?
__________________
Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x R9 290 @ 1050 / 1375 | ASUS VG248QE |

Audio: STX => Audioengine A5 / audio technica AD700X
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
The temps are great on the Asus. Never really hit more then 70C while gaming and no more then 80C when mining.

Do you know if the Win 8 repair is enough for the purposes of seeing if a reinstall would fix the issue or would it still keep certain settings that may be giving me the problems I have now?
I'm not sure of the cause of your issues, I have repaired windows 8 installs a couple of times and it acts like a fresh install, except it leaves your files intact. I would still backup all your personal files before you repair windows.

This will clean up the registry and get rid of all the old drivers, so may solve the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 11:52 AM
Vittra's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 168

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Hmm interesting. I wonder if that is the reason Silverstone abandoned the 90deg setup in the Raven 4. I love this setup way more then I ever though I would, and thermodynamically it makes a lot more sense then either of the other setups, so I was puzzled why it wasn't being pursued more.
No. The RV05 and FT05 are using the 90 degree rotated orientation again. The problem with some aftermarket cards is they either a) Don't use proper wicking material in the pipes or b) the pipes are in an orientation that when the card is mounted vertically, does not allow the fluid within the heatpipe to move.

With respect to the issue you are having, have you tried completely removing all traces of your video card drivers and reinstalling?

A) uninstall drivers
B) boot to safe mode via the run command --> "shutdown -r -f -o -t 1", and then select Troubleshoot --> Startup settings --> Restart. Hit F4 when the menu appears
C) Run DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html), wipe out AMD vid card drivers
D) restart, reinstall drivers, restart once more, try again

If that doesn't work, try reverting back to Win7 as others suggested. It could be registry corruption/driver related, but it could just as well be compatibility issues with Win8.1 and the P67 chipset (which could also point to drivers)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 12:08 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,591

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
I'm not sure if I downloaded the Intel Management Engine Interface drivers.. that's about the only thing I can find as far as motherboard drivers (I assume you mean chipset?). I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt and I can't remember if I did install them or not.
Yeah you'd want to install that, also try the Windows 7 Chipset drivers too, could be Microsoft screwed up and has not installed all the chipset drivers as it should

Quick link to Win 7 64: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...PVistaWin7.zip
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
No. The RV05 and FT05 are using the 90 degree rotated orientation again. The problem with some aftermarket cards is they either a) Don't use proper wicking material in the pipes or b) the pipes are in an orientation that when the card is mounted vertically, does not allow the fluid within the heatpipe to move.

With respect to the issue you are having, have you tried completely removing all traces of your video card drivers and reinstalling?

A) uninstall drivers
B) boot to safe mode via the run command --> "shutdown -r -f -o -t 1", and then select Troubleshoot --> Startup settings --> Restart. Hit F4 when the menu appears
C) Run DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html), wipe out AMD vid card drivers
D) restart, reinstall drivers, restart once more, try again

If that doesn't work, try reverting back to Win7 as others suggested. It could be registry corruption/driver related, but it could just as well be compatibility issues with Win8.1 and the P67 chipset (which could also point to drivers)
The registry has also been edited and this may be creating issues.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 03:13 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 8
Default

If you were interested in trying ubuntu:

MSI Afterburner - AMDOverdriveCtrl
CPU-Z - cpu-g
GPU-Z - CUDA-Z
HWMonitor - lm-sensors
__________________
http://www.mowatsparty.com
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old April 1, 2014, 07:05 PM
Bojamijams's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brantford, On
Posts: 263
Default

Well going back to 13.12 WHQL drivers made BF4 work. But none of the 14.x beta drivers would work... I even used AMD's own Uninstall utility that is supposed to do a clean uninstall... so what does that mean? that I'm stuck on 13.x drivers or that I have to use safe mode to thoroughly uninstall 13.x before I go to 14.x?
__________________
Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x R9 290 @ 1050 / 1375 | ASUS VG248QE |

Audio: STX => Audioengine A5 / audio technica AD700X
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mobo issues drkrazyrich Troubleshooting 7 December 3, 2012 04:32 PM
Crossfire doubt... will my mobo support it? unnAMD CPU's and Motherboards 0 June 23, 2012 12:06 AM
ASUS mobo flashed bios issues. Ov3rTheTop CPU's and Motherboards 2 May 8, 2012 05:25 AM
[WTB] Crossfire Mobo for a Quad core 9850 BE norfolk Buy/Sell & Trade 0 March 29, 2009 09:55 AM