Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2014, 11:26 AM
MVP

I'm not sure if I downloaded the Intel Management Engine Interface drivers.. that's about the only thing I can find as far as motherboard drivers (I assume you mean chipset?). I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt and I can't remember if I did install them or not.

Video: 2x R9 290 @ 1050 / 1375 | ASUS VG248QE |

Audio: STX => Audioengine A5 / audio technica AD700X
Old April 1, 2014, 11:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
I'm not sure if I downloaded the Intel Management Engine Interface drivers.. that's about the only thing I can find as far as motherboard drivers (I assume you mean chipset?). I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt and I can't remember if I did install them or not.
Heh... have a look at the win7 drivers and you'll see that you're missing stuff because you selected win 8.1 ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P8P67 EVO

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 1, 2014, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Hmm interesting. I wonder if that is the reason Silverstone abandoned the 90deg setup in the Raven 4. I love this setup way more then I ever though I would, and thermodynamically it makes a lot more sense then either of the other setups, so I was puzzled why it wasn't being pursued more.

But what would swapping the cards out do? They would still be rotated 90degrees. ALso temps will be quite difference as one is reference (ie. hot) and other is aftermarket.

Also, what kind of water cooling setup is that? It looks like an AIC that's been extended to work with GPUs. Is there another pump in your 5 1/4 space?
If you run the cards one by one and check temps we can determine if the Asus is having issues being suspended in the Raven 3. I ran a pair of Asus Direct CU GTX 670's in my Raven 3 and had no end of issues with them overheating. The reference card should be fine as this has no heatpipes. If they both run fine in this orientation then my best guess would be driver issues or again heat issues when in CF. How close are these cards to each other and what temps do they hit when gaming or when testing?

This WC system is based on a Swiftech Apogee 2 drive (pump and cpu block are integrated), makes for a cleaner loop. It's been very reliable.
Old April 1, 2014, 11:37 AM
MVP

The temps are great on the Asus. Never really hit more then 70C while gaming and no more then 80C when mining.

Do you know if the Win 8 repair is enough for the purposes of seeing if a reinstall would fix the issue or would it still keep certain settings that may be giving me the problems I have now?

Old April 1, 2014, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
The temps are great on the Asus. Never really hit more then 70C while gaming and no more then 80C when mining.

Do you know if the Win 8 repair is enough for the purposes of seeing if a reinstall would fix the issue or would it still keep certain settings that may be giving me the problems I have now?
I'm not sure of the cause of your issues, I have repaired windows 8 installs a couple of times and it acts like a fresh install, except it leaves your files intact. I would still backup all your personal files before you repair windows.

This will clean up the registry and get rid of all the old drivers, so may solve the issue.
Old April 1, 2014, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Hmm interesting. I wonder if that is the reason Silverstone abandoned the 90deg setup in the Raven 4. I love this setup way more then I ever though I would, and thermodynamically it makes a lot more sense then either of the other setups, so I was puzzled why it wasn't being pursued more.
No. The RV05 and FT05 are using the 90 degree rotated orientation again. The problem with some aftermarket cards is they either a) Don't use proper wicking material in the pipes or b) the pipes are in an orientation that when the card is mounted vertically, does not allow the fluid within the heatpipe to move.

With respect to the issue you are having, have you tried completely removing all traces of your video card drivers and reinstalling?

A) uninstall drivers
B) boot to safe mode via the run command --> "shutdown -r -f -o -t 1", and then select Troubleshoot --> Startup settings --> Restart. Hit F4 when the menu appears
C) Run DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html), wipe out AMD vid card drivers
D) restart, reinstall drivers, restart once more, try again

If that doesn't work, try reverting back to Win7 as others suggested. It could be registry corruption/driver related, but it could just as well be compatibility issues with Win8.1 and the P67 chipset (which could also point to drivers)

Old April 1, 2014, 12:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah you'd want to install that, also try the Windows 7 Chipset drivers too, could be Microsoft screwed up and has not installed all the chipset drivers as it should

Quick link to Win 7 64: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...PVistaWin7.zip
Old April 1, 2014, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
No. The RV05 and FT05 are using the 90 degree rotated orientation again. The problem with some aftermarket cards is they either a) Don't use proper wicking material in the pipes or b) the pipes are in an orientation that when the card is mounted vertically, does not allow the fluid within the heatpipe to move.

With respect to the issue you are having, have you tried completely removing all traces of your video card drivers and reinstalling?

A) uninstall drivers
B) boot to safe mode via the run command --> "shutdown -r -f -o -t 1", and then select Troubleshoot --> Startup settings --> Restart. Hit F4 when the menu appears
C) Run DDU (http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html), wipe out AMD vid card drivers
D) restart, reinstall drivers, restart once more, try again

If that doesn't work, try reverting back to Win7 as others suggested. It could be registry corruption/driver related, but it could just as well be compatibility issues with Win8.1 and the P67 chipset (which could also point to drivers)
The registry has also been edited and this may be creating issues.
Old April 1, 2014, 03:13 PM
Rookie

If you were interested in trying ubuntu:

MSI Afterburner - AMDOverdriveCtrl
CPU-Z - cpu-g
GPU-Z - CUDA-Z
HWMonitor - lm-sensors
Old April 1, 2014, 07:05 PM
MVP

Well going back to 13.12 WHQL drivers made BF4 work. But none of the 14.x beta drivers would work... I even used AMD's own Uninstall utility that is supposed to do a clean uninstall... so what does that mean? that I'm stuck on 13.x drivers or that I have to use safe mode to thoroughly uninstall 13.x before I go to 14.x?