Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2014, 07:00 AM
MVP

Still no luck.

Updated to the latest 14.3. Disabled ULPS again; first through Afterburner and then through regedit to make sure all references to EnableULPS are set to 0.

Turned on Hyperthreading (might as well try anything). Even changed BIOS one revision back to rest with it and then back to the latest, no change. Unplugged 2nd card after returning to the latest BIOS to re-enumerate the PCI-E bus. Still no luck.

I know other people are not having any issue with 290 in crossfire on a p67. One guy I talked to has the Asus Pro and I have the Asus EVO (difference is that EVO has two NICs and onboard Power/Reset buttons). So it isn't that the hardware doesn't support or anything, it seems to be a setting/driver issue but the guy who has it working on a P67 Pro is running the latest 14.3 as well. He's running BF4 with Mantle, same as me.

I've seen other people report this issue but seems there's no known fix yet (that they've updated their posts with anyway). I see higher scores in 3dmark but not in BF4 or Skyrim. I always see the usage switching from 0% to 100% and alternating between the two cards (so in effect, one is being used, except it alternates which one)

I'm willing to entertain any ideas ;)

Video: 2x R9 290 @ 1050 / 1375 | ASUS VG248QE |

Audio: STX => Audioengine A5 / audio technica AD700X
Old April 1, 2014, 07:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried a new/fresh image, perhaps Windows 7 or Windows 8.0, just to rule out it's some bad registry files sticking around?
Old April 1, 2014, 07:28 AM
Rookie

Just an abstarct thought here. You said you were willing to be entertained: Instead of reinstalling windows... What if you install a new Linux distro in dual boot and install Linux amd drivers. If you have steam install something and play in crossfire. Just to completely 100% rule out hardware?
Old April 1, 2014, 08:45 AM
MVP

Hmmm.. I may have to do that.

I want to stick with Win 8 for DX12 in the future but a temporary dual boot of linux might not be a bad idea. Not sure how I'll monitor the usage though. I use Remote System Monitor on my android phone to monitor usage on my Win machine. Is there afterburner for Linux or some other app that will let me write log files or show it on another monitor?

Old April 1, 2014, 09:52 AM
Top Prospect

I have a pair of R9 290's on an Asus Z68 board. I know it is not 67, but differences are minor. I have never had an issue with these cards, or observed the fluctuations that you are experiencing. I will be happy to help. I too am running Win 8.1 64bit.
Can you please let me have a link to your 3D mark scores, please run Firestrike (standard) so that I can compare to my score. Also install Unigine Valley and run this in Extreme mode and post a screenshot of your score here.

What power supply are you using? Also can you run Valley in window mode and monitor temperatures of your video cards, as well as gpu usage. Use afterburner for this. Finally use gpu-z and post a screenshot of your system.

Are your video cards overclocked and overvolted? Is your cpu overclocked?

For now, go in to motherboard bios and reset settings using optimized bios setting mode. Reset video cards in Afterburner. I have found that messing with ULPS makes no difference to my overclock. I run my cards at 1100x1300 24/7 with ULPS still enabled.
Old April 1, 2014, 10:08 AM
MVP

Hi Footman,

The PS I'm using is the Cooler Master V1000 (very highly regarded). I'll post the 3d mark score when I get home tonight. Unigine Valley and Haven give me an issue when I run them in that it is either a black screen with music in the background or the splash image with the hotkeys listed with excessive flickering. It used to run just fine when I had my first video card (reference 290) in my PCI-E slot. Then I installed my 2nd card (Asus 290 DCII) as the secondary card and ran the test and it was fine. Then I uninstalled both cards and put the asus as the only one in the main slot. Since then, the app has been doing this. Countless uninstalls seem to do nothing. A windows reinstall will probably fix it but I'm not willing to try that just yet.

As for running it in window mode, that would disable Crossfire right? I can get temperatures/usage in full screen through an android app so no need to do windowed.

I've tried the cards at stock and I cannot overvolt in crossfire as the reference card doesn't allow voltage adjustments. CPU is overclocked to 4.7ghz but I've also tried on stock/auto multiplier

I'll update later tonight. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Old April 1, 2014, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Hi Footman,

The PS I'm using is the Cooler Master V1000 (very highly regarded). I'll post the 3d mark score when I get home tonight. Unigine Valley and Haven give me an issue when I run them in that it is either a black screen with music in the background or the splash image with the hotkeys listed with excessive flickering. It used to run just fine when I had my first video card (reference 290) in my PCI-E slot. Then I installed my 2nd card (Asus 290 DCII) as the secondary card and ran the test and it was fine. Then I uninstalled both cards and put the asus as the only one in the main slot. Since then, the app has been doing this. Countless uninstalls seem to do nothing. A windows reinstall will probably fix it but I'm not willing to try that just yet.

As for running it in window mode, that would disable Crossfire right? I can get temperatures/usage in full screen through an android app so no need to do windowed.

I've tried the cards at stock and I cannot overvolt in crossfire as the reference card doesn't allow voltage adjustments. CPU is overclocked to 4.7ghz but I've also tried on stock/auto multiplier

I'll update later tonight. If you think of anything else please let me know.
I'm using exactly the same power supply, it has been perfect. We have almost identical systems. You can do a windows 8 repair which basically re-installs windows without affecting your files.
I recently moved my pc to a new case which had airflow issues are caused valley to run erratically (black screen with music in background).
I have everything watercooled now.

I'll be interested to see if everything works properly when motherboard and videocards are run at stock.

Here is my system.
Attached Images

Old April 1, 2014, 10:47 AM
Top Prospect

I see that you have a raven 3 case. I had one of these cases a year back and some heatpipes did not work well suspended 90 degrees.
When you get home, run 3 d mark with a single card, then swap cards and run again. Check temps from both cards run singly.
Old April 1, 2014, 10:51 AM
MVP

Hmm interesting. I wonder if that is the reason Silverstone abandoned the 90deg setup in the Raven 4. I love this setup way more then I ever though I would, and thermodynamically it makes a lot more sense then either of the other setups, so I was puzzled why it wasn't being pursued more.

But what would swapping the cards out do? They would still be rotated 90degrees. ALso temps will be quite difference as one is reference (ie. hot) and other is aftermarket.

Also, what kind of water cooling setup is that? It looks like an AIC that's been extended to work with GPUs. Is there another pump in your 5 1/4 space?

Old April 1, 2014, 11:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't notice it while looking through the attempted fixes, but did you try reloading the motherboard drivers? This sounds an awful lot like what I ran into with the initial roll out of SLI compatibility on AMD motherboards (hardware was compatible, but it took Nvidia forever to update their drivers for it) so I'm thinking that it's either drivers, and/or as has been suggested, maybe it's a win 8.1 thing... any chance you've got a win7 key you can use to check for compatibility?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP