Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2014, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Can't speak for the software side, but crossfire and SLI drivers are getting better with each generation of cards. Given that frame pacing is fixed, and that there is good scaling for almost all titles with 2 GPUs, the software side is standing better than it ever has. But that point stands for Nvidia too. I think both companies are just getting better at making dual GPU solutions.

No loud fans and no thermal throttling, no massive heatsink. That should make some things obvious
That's not entirely correct sir. Ghosts didn't support dual GPU's and from what I read they had no intentions of making it work. They didn't support sli either. I uninstalled the game 3 weeks later. (2x6970's 10 fps for 3 or 4 maps until it crashed) (one card was playable but only if nothing was burning)

Company of Heros' II doesn't support crossfire or sli either although it didn't run horribly in crossfire.

Seems to me there's a bit of a trend with game publishers / makers moving away from multiple gpu support. Frankly I think it's bullshit.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 30, 2014, 01:37 AM
Rookie

I want one :P
Actually no... but it would look sexy in a SFF case....
Old March 30, 2014, 09:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Seems to me there's a bit of a trend with game publishers / makers moving away from multiple gpu support. Frankly I think it's bullshit.
Likewise, BF4 patches have broken SLI a couple times as well. At one point I actually had to disable the SLI on my GTX690 just to play the game. Another patch fixed it but performance was still pretty bad.

With 4K beginning to enter the market, I don't see how any single-GPU solution is going to be sufficient for high-end gaming. You'll need dual-GPUs at least.

I guess it's no different than multithreading and 64bit support. We've had multi-core and 64bit CPUs for ages, but it seems like only in the past 1-2 years it's actually started to be used in games. Software always lags behind hardware.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
That's not entirely correct sir. Ghosts didn't support dual GPU's and from what I read they had no intentions of making it work. They didn't support sli either. I uninstalled the game 3 weeks later. (2x6970's 10 fps for 3 or 4 maps until it crashed) (one card was playable but only if nothing was burning)

Company of Heros' II doesn't support crossfire or sli either although it didn't run horribly in crossfire.

Ghosts is a title which is absolutely crap in many ways for PC's, and doesn't need SLI/Xfire to run at full settings anyways for a high end card. Company of Heroes was also unoptimized and coded poorly in too many ways to count, so lacking multi card support is simply the dog-crap icing on a pile of a steaming turd of a cake Most graphically intense and PC-focused games (think Crysis, or Tomb Raider, or Far Cry, etc.) have had far better multi card support than their equivalents from last generation. The number of titles with good 2 card, 3 card, and 4 card scaling has gone up tremendously. It used to be the exception to the rule, now having games WITHOUT it is the exception to the rule (which you have pointed out two of, out of many titles, for example).

Either way, I hope Nvidia released a GTX version of this that sits somewhere around $1500-2000.
Old April 2, 2014, 11:21 AM
MVP

Tombraider (2013) runs great SLI with Dual 260 Core 216 EVGA SC's on my HTPC played seamless on highish settings. just wish they were DX11 card's instead of DX10 lol would even be nicer in that game.

Tombraider (2013) truly is a beauty of a game gfx wise.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2
Old April 2, 2014, 12:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Any benchmark results using the TitanZ?