Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2014, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Does that mean they'll fix their Crossfire drivers?

No more weeks waiting for profiles for Gaming Evolved games? No more load balancing issues? No heat issues? No loud fans? No throttling like the SINGLE CHIP cards do without a massive heatsink?

IMO, dual chip cards, regardless of the side, are tied to the drivers and the drivers are rarely well implemented throughout the first 2-3 weeks after release.
Can't speak for the software side, but crossfire and SLI drivers are getting better with each generation of cards. Given that frame pacing is fixed, and that there is good scaling for almost all titles with 2 GPUs, the software side is standing better than it ever has. But that point stands for Nvidia too. I think both companies are just getting better at making dual GPU solutions.

No loud fans and no thermal throttling, no massive heatsink. That should make some things obvious
Old March 27, 2014, 07:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Vesuvius definitely won't be 2K MSRP. Vesuvius will also definitively beat Titan Z if it runs at anywhere near the rumoured 700-800MHz clock speeds. AMD is going to set a new precedent for dual GPU cards, it will be the definitive halo product unless Nvidia releases a radically different GTX790 or similar.

This news just disappoints me as it is another example of Nvidia trying to disguise their price gouging by saying it's for the "prosumer" market... I guarantee you, the amount of people who buy Titan cards for gaming dwarfs those who buy them for anything professional. If this was 2K, I would have just barely understood their pricing. But Nvidia will charge anything to suck every dollar out of the high end GPU market...

Just like AMD did when their X2 CPUs were king. So what? Both are for profit companies and right now AMD - as usual - has jack for the high end crowd. This lack of competition allows NV to 'suck every dollar out of the high end GPU market'. It sucks but until AMD actually release a card that is not purposely hobbled by AMD (FFS something as simple as stock cooler seems beyond them)....NV will continue to have zero competition.

As for what tomorrow brings. I think when it comes to AMD...a dont trust, but verify and THEN and only then believe in their enthusiast grade GPUs is warranted. They have simply burned people too many times recently on both CPU and GPU front to be given the benefit of the doubt by any rational thinking person.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 27, 2014, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Just like AMD did when their X2 CPUs were king. So what? Both are for profit companies and right now AMD - as usual - has jack for the high end crowd. This lack of competition allows NV to 'suck every dollar out of the high end GPU market'. It sucks but until AMD actually release a card that is not purposely hobbled by AMD (FFS something as simple as stock cooler seems beyond them)....NV will continue to have zero competition.

As for what tomorrow brings. I think when it comes to AMD...a dont trust, but verify and THEN and only then believe in their enthusiast grade GPUs is warranted. They have simply burned people too many times recently on both CPU and GPU front to be given the benefit of the doubt by any rational thinking person.
Yep, they do have a lot to prove due to all the fiascos they have had. But on the other hand, they also have the tendency of balancing out (at least partially) those issues with price/performance. I don't think AMD will ever release a perfect product. There isn't enough manpower at the company. They don't throw enough man-hours or dollars at their projects to get the same polish as Nvidia does. But they do (usually) offer more performance at a lower price tag (MSRP, at least). It's up to the end user to decide, I guess it's good Nvidia is there to offer the enhanced service at a slightly higher cost.

I don't know why you say AMD "as usual" has nothing for the high end crowd, they had the 7990 when the 690 was around, the only time they have been absent there is in the post-titan era really (besides the GTX480/5870, which was a different story). Nvidia will be the one releasing the Titan Z after AMD...
Old March 27, 2014, 07:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am terrified by the idea that AMD will give up in the GPU market in the same way they have in the cpu sector. Now that will be a dark day.
Old March 28, 2014, 05:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

At this point in time I have to retreat from Vesuvius discussion as NDA's have officially come into place.
Old March 28, 2014, 06:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Now that sounds like some good news :)
Old March 28, 2014, 07:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I don't know why you say AMD "as usual" has nothing for the high end crowd, they had the 7990 when the 690 was around, the only time they have been absent there is in the post-titan era really (besides the GTX480/5870, which was a different story). Nvidia will be the one releasing the Titan Z after AMD...
Keep in mind the 7990 came out much later than expected, quite a bit of time after the 690. This was a source of frustration to many.

Re: Titan. The percentage of people purchasing Titans for computational purposes likely far exceeds those for gaming... But it doesn't matter. Any enthusiast/gaming sales are an additional win for Nvidia. They're banking on the same thing again.

Old March 28, 2014, 07:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
At this point in time I have to retreat from Vesuvius discussion as NDA's have officially come into place.
Welcome to my humble abode when it comes to these sorts of discussions Sky, at least for one of the two teams.

Last edited by Arinoth; March 28, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old March 28, 2014, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Keep in mind the 7990 came out much later than expected, quite a bit of time after the 690. This was a source of frustration to many.

Re: Titan. The percentage of people purchasing Titans for computational purposes likely far exceeds those for gaming... But it doesn't matter. Any enthusiast/gaming sales are an additional win for Nvidia. They're banking on the same thing again.
Notice how Sky is on NDA now? There's a reason for that.

I'm not sold on that. At least for the original Titan, so many gamers bought it because it was the only way to get GK110 at the time that I'm absolutely positive it was outselling any professional demand. After all, the portion of the pro market who needs dual precision but not ECC, and not Quadro drivers either, and can't afford the actual equipment they should be buying (ie. Tesla products) sounds absolutely minuscule in theory at least. The portion of the gamer market who will pay past the point of diminishing returns for best single card performance sounds way larger than that to me.
Old March 28, 2014, 03:01 PM
MVP

Well if AMD tackles the Vesuvius with a much better cooling platform. something like the Powercolor PCS+ cooler or a improved 7990 cooler then i really dont think they will have a huge issue.

aftermarket coolers have proven to be plenty capable of cooling the 290x chip and then some if done right with a proper heat piped setup i dont think it should be a problem.

so long as they dont cheap out again and go with some lame solid copper based styled cooler like the 290/x's it should work out ok.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2