Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2014, 04:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Some great points are being raised BUT with the market penetration in this card's segment of motherboards that have no problem handling four TITAN Black Edition cards, I am wondering what the interest is.

It used to be, back in the P35 / P45 days that dual GPU cards could be justified since most motherboards weren't SLI / Crossfire compatible. Now, even a $150 Z87 would have no issue providing amply bandwidth for two of the fastest cards around.

Granted, the TITAN Z and upcoming AMD cards are all about e-peen size but at some point this discussion isn't even about common sense versus money anymore; it becomes about what will provide the best path towards performance. With that in mind, the overclocking headroom of single GPU TITANs plus the availability of water blocks for them makes the decision a no-brainer.
Old March 26, 2014, 05:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you foresee a non-Titan model being made, akin to the GTX690? Say dual GTX780 cores instead and 3GB/core? That's what I was expecting personally, at the same $1k price point.

If AMD does a dual-290X card, I imagine it'll be half the price of this Titan Z and possibly similar gaming performance. However, I don't think AMD is as mature with dual-GPU cards as NVIDIA is.
Old March 26, 2014, 06:33 AM

With this price point, I really don't know what to expect from Vesuvius in terms of SRP. Like I said: it sets a precedent. I don't have any definitive information, but the TITAN Z's price opens up the door to a $2000 dual R9 290X and AMD can still say "we kick ass on price / performance!".

As for the dual GTX 780 Ti card; it's completely possible but I don't think it is probable at this point. If anything, I can see NVIDIA going with dual GTX 780's (ie: GK104) at a price that undercuts whatever AMD is launching. Based on yields, GDDR5 prices, current sales figures, the core's clock speed headroom etc. a dual GTX 780 card would make good business sense IMO and compete very well versus two R9 290X's.
Old March 26, 2014, 07:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

FF will have 4 of these on pre-order haha
Old March 26, 2014, 07:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nvidia, those clever guys. They now have cards (Titan, Titan Black and now Titan Z) that can be used by professionals and priced like it but I think the end game was to restructure the high end enthusiast level gaming market. Others here have alluded to this being the case but personally I am convinced it is true.

Last edited by Phill; March 26, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old March 26, 2014, 10:24 AM

The whole "double precision" thing really doesn't matter for gamers, though a premium is tacked onto the cards for it.
Old March 26, 2014, 01:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

semantics. Basically you reiterated what I said.
Old March 26, 2014, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, technically the live blog I read about the Titan Z doesn't make it sound like it was presented as a card for gamers "Promoting it to the GTC crowd as a supercomputer in a PCIe form factor (though no doubt you'd be able to game on it if you really wanted to)" although I think they expect it to make up a chunk of the sales.
Old March 27, 2014, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
With this price point, I really don't know what to expect from Vesuvius in terms of SRP. Like I said: it sets a precedent. I don't have any definitive information, but the TITAN Z's price opens up the door to a $2000 dual R9 290X and AMD can still say "we kick ass on price / performance!".

As for the dual GTX 780 Ti card; it's completely possible but I don't think it is probable at this point. If anything, I can see NVIDIA going with dual GTX 780's (ie: GK104) at a price that undercuts whatever AMD is launching. Based on yields, GDDR5 prices, current sales figures, the core's clock speed headroom etc. a dual GTX 780 card would make good business sense IMO and compete very well versus two R9 290X's.
Vesuvius definitely won't be 2K MSRP. Vesuvius will also definitively beat Titan Z if it runs at anywhere near the rumoured 700-800MHz clock speeds. AMD is going to set a new precedent for dual GPU cards, it will be the definitive halo product unless Nvidia releases a radically different GTX790 or similar.

This news just disappoints me as it is another example of Nvidia trying to disguise their price gouging by saying it's for the "prosumer" market... I guarantee you, the amount of people who buy Titan cards for gaming dwarfs those who buy them for anything professional. If this was 2K, I would have just barely understood their pricing. But Nvidia will charge anything to suck every dollar out of the high end GPU market...
Old March 27, 2014, 06:43 PM

Does that mean they'll fix their Crossfire drivers?

No more weeks waiting for profiles for Gaming Evolved games? No more load balancing issues? No heat issues? No loud fans? No throttling like the SINGLE CHIP cards do without a massive heatsink?

IMO, dual chip cards, regardless of the side, are tied to the drivers and the drivers are rarely well implemented throughout the first 2-3 weeks after release.

Last edited by SKYMTL; March 27, 2014 at 06:52 PM.