Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2014, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
LOL if you have enough to buy two of these you best be getting me a job where YOU work.
Hahaha, it's all relative. I did recently get my profit sharing bonus though which would cover one of these

I mean, it's the logical upgrade to my GTX690 right? I just cannot fathom spending $3k on a GPU...though I said that before spending $1k on a GPU so...

Are you getting one of these to review SKY?
Old March 25, 2014, 07:32 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I am thinking that NVIDIA will pull a Titan Black one here. Charge a fortune and don't sample reviewers. I may be wrong though.
Old March 25, 2014, 07:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am going to ask my boss to get me that as a bonus for christmas time.

EDIT: may be slik will upgrade his titans to two titan z'
Old March 25, 2014, 08:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I am curious. Has anyone used both Quadro and Titans here? We used to use Quadros at work and the drivers are markedly different than Geforce drivers. The Quadro's drivers were far more precise in 3d work and had features (like multi-projector edge blending) that the Geforce drivers never had.

We abandoned Quadros for cost reasons and I am wondering if the Titans work better with Geforce drivers than the other Geforce cards do. At $3k the Titan Z is in Quadro price range.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntslatko View Post
I am curious. Has anyone used both Quadro and Titans here? We used to use Quadros at work and the drivers are markedly different than Geforce drivers. The Quadro's drivers were far more precise in 3d work and had features (like multi-projector edge blending) that the Geforce drivers never had.

We abandoned Quadros for cost reasons and I am wondering if the Titans work better with Geforce drivers than the other Geforce cards do. At $3k the Titan Z is in Quadro price range.
I've used both. For Double Precision workloads, I use my TITAN. For OpenGL and other 3D applications like Maya, Lightwave, etc, I use a Quadro.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am probably one of the most impulsive,"gotta have" people on this planet,but even I can't see buying two of these cards. Let alone one. At least not yet.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 25, 2014, 08:26 PM

I am actually not sure how I feel about this one. If people buy them (and we know some will) it will justify the price position which, in my opinion at least, sets a somewhat dangerous precedent for the PC gaming market.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm curious what this magic nvidia dust is... as for the comment of not being able to fit 4x titan cards in a single case, well, with the $2000 you save, you could easily buy a motherboard, case and PSU to run 4x titans instead of 2x of these beasts. With the 690, I saw the benefit of lower power consumption/noise/temps from putting 2 cards on the same board... but for $1000 premium, I really scratch my head at the people who see justification in buying this.

I don't think this will set a dangerous precedent as this is such a highly elitist card and well out of the price range of most people who splurge on the "best of the best" no matter the cost.
Old March 25, 2014, 10:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Im in no way defending the price of these monsters. I think they are insanely over-priced. BUT for a portion of the buying public...money is a non-issue. For them its either 'use the black credit card and slap these two card in the system" or "take a day. tear the entire rig down, replace the case, replace the motherboard, install FOUR gpus and save what you earn in ten minutes at work".

Lets be honest IF you could not only afford it but price really does not matter to you...would you not opt for two? I would in a heartbeat....but YMMV.

Personally seeing uber priced cards is a good thing. It means the marketplace is STRONG and such 'vanity' items are viable. Who knows what tech NV will learn from it and trickle down to us mere mortals later on. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 25, 2014, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yup. Until my taxes are paid I won't be able to afford the air to debate over getting a 290x or 780Ti with my wife let alone shelling out for a card that costs almost four times what the average gamer spends on a computer sans GPU. That said, I love it when companies push boundaries like this as the tech involved, if it's worth it's salt, eventually does find it's way into the mainstream sooner rather than later.