Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2014, 03:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default DirectX 12 Detailed; DX11 GPU Compatibility & More (Comment Thread)

Microsoft has taken the covers off of their DirectX 12 API and it features several surprises. Among them, backwards compatibility with DX11 GPUs.

Read (lots) more here: DirectX 12 Detailed; DX11 GPU Compatibility & More
Old March 20, 2014, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty happy with the decision to have it work on existing hardware. It seems a long way away, over 20 months potentially. Does not seem like it will change anything in the markets any time soon (looking at the traction of Mantel).
Old March 20, 2014, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Kind of crappy for AMD, all the money put into Mantle and Microsoft announces this. I hope they let nvidia use Mantle so it can kill DX12 before it even gets off the ground. Years of asking and Microsoft does nothing until it looks like some market share will be jeopardy.
Old March 20, 2014, 10:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, proper game support for Linux is the only way out of this mess. Mantle on Linux, that would be epic.
Old March 21, 2014, 12:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well with any new Technologies time will tell if it will survive. From what we know about mantle we just gota wait till it trickles down to Linux and more dev company's hopping on Mantle Band Wagon. Can't wait to see api/Gpu tech in comming months.
Old March 21, 2014, 04:52 AM

Actually, I think that Mantle was DX12's precursor. Many of its core philosophies (if not technologies) are integrated into Direct3D12. This could give them a leg up.

HOWEVER, the last thing we need is a fragmented market. Once MS begins a broad-scale DX12 rollout and adoption among developers rises, AMD needs to ditch Mantle. With the game industry on such shaky ground, there needs to be a true cross-platform API like DX12 and under no circumstance should AMD ask developers to spread their already thin resources over the development of two low-level, "close to the metal" APIs.
Old March 21, 2014, 05:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

True as it would put more stress on dev studios to code in both Api's with Direct X being as you said Universal Amd will face uphill money losing battle.

At same time Mantle is here at least 1-2 years before DX12 so mabye it has a chance least till DX12 Mass Rollout. After that if mantle isnt outa beta/Alpha it wont stand a chance in this market. Unless its ported to Android somehow.
Old March 21, 2014, 05:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, I think that Mantle was DX12's precursor. Many of its core philosophies (if not technologies) are integrated into Direct3D12. This could give them a leg up.

HOWEVER, the last thing we need is a fragmented market. Once MS begins a broad-scale DX12 rollout and adoption among developers rises, AMD needs to ditch Mantle. With the game industry on such shaky ground, there needs to be a true cross-platform API like DX12 and under no circumstance should AMD ask developers to spread their already thin resources over the development of two low-level, "close to the metal" APIs.
I would argue that unless it has Linux support, DX12 is anything but cross-platform. What we need is an OS agnostic tool for PC game developers.

What we really need for PC gaming to get it's mojo back is some kind of open source / cross platform tool for all devs to work from. Steam OS is a good starting point in theory.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 21, 2014, 06:04 AM

For Linux support, developers will begin extensively using OpenGL. DirectX has no business being on such a fractured OS platform.
Old March 21, 2014, 08:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

the only reason why DX12 has any of the features it does is because Mantle was made the way it was, period. MSFT has been quite adamant on not helping its business and even consumer side to get more out of the OS as of late example windows 8 and 8.1 are just utter craptastic that you have to jump through hoops to get used to them, they were told this many many times before they even hit the shelves, the new outlook is quite garbage in many ways as well, and the xbox 1, that is its own story of failure, MSFT a company of to much in very obtuse ways.

As far as Mantle AMD is not preventing Nvidia or anyone else from using it, however, it is still early stage development even for their own hardware so they are not going to go out of their way to give it to everyone but they are not prevent its use either, unlike Nvidia with their crapX which does very little to help a game function or look better BUT if they screw with the baseline coding it can turn something that runs well into looking like utter crap and performing quite poorly, this has happened time and again, so yeh, why in the hell should AMD go out of their way to help Nvidia, Nvidia barely helps their own consumers without it costing more in the long run AND the vast majority of their tech is proprietary by design, sometimes to the point that it actually interferes with the consumers and devs ability to use the products they purchased at an elevated price just because its "the way its meant to be played" crap.

DX12 will require Windows 9 I can virtually guarantee it for no other reason then so they can charge like $200+ for the OS, where Mantle does not require anything at this point but a GCN enabled graphics side which is ~75% or better of AMD "modern" graphics cards and APU sold and/or should be/is in use.

Yeh it sux Nvidia cannot use it right now, but hey it also sucks that everything Nvidia does screws AMD over on purpose its about damn time the tables get turned don't you think. how many GCN cards are there vs how many say CUDA or PhysX capable cards, the numbers on Nvidia side dwarf AMD so the damage done is extremely hard to argue, and hey Nvidia still gets to use OpenGL/DX don't forget.