Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2014, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hmm, I had a 5870 for quite some time. Wish I still had it. Yes, it was that good. Currently have a GTX 295. Beastly card, but as per with nvidia lacks in the ram dept.
Old February 20, 2014, 09:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
I agree with some things in the review .. a few things i noticed over the last 30 or so reviews between Nvidia and AMD on this site is . hwcanucks reviewers are nvidia bias no point in denying it.
AMD prices are because of retailers gouging and mining driving up prices not AMD releasing cards with a higher msrp.

Majority of your benches are made for nvidia games no one else finds that a touch bias?" Dirt / Metro / assassins creed - " i'm actually surprised the AMD cards did as-well as the did on those games considering some of them weren't even tested on AMD HW aka metro last light which hardly even ran on my 7970 when i had one had to play it on my guest pc with a 770 in it.

Now onto this card like said above .. 128 bit and no sli. if i was going to run a 750 ti id want to sli them the low power and price would make that perhaps worth while. but with its underwhelming performance for single card use id probably pass on it unless i was going super low budget in a HTPC .. but if i was doing that id probably be looking more along the lines of AMD Kaveri APU Dual Graphics new features which seem to be quite promising.

Don't get me wrong here atm for retailers i recommend nvidia quite often due to the gouging going on but i also put the blame squarely on the retailers shoulders.

I have my issues with the 290/x release as-well due to the black screen issues that went with that. but all the other cards are top notch although re-branded just like nvidia's line under the 780gtx.
And also other then that non-black-screening 290/x's are great performers and if retailers weren't gouging customers atm would be in a amazing price-performance space sadly stock is limited but to be fair no one could for see the crypto boom
and AMD had cut production due to lower sales figures.

Some of these reviews are leaving a bad taste in my mouth lately perhaps you don't even realize how its coming across but as someone who buys from both camps regularly i'm picking up on it.
Huh? Say what? More than 60% of the games Skymtl use are AMD GAMING EVOLVED titles. If anything a good argument could possibly be made his games are pro-AMD (as he does run AMD in his own rigs).

Just so we are clear: Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Dirt Showdown, Tomb Raider, Hitman. Thats 5 of the 8 titles that are gaming evolved branded. So how are they proNV?

If you are picking up on something please share as if anything I think Sky was a touch harsh on the 750Ti. I think these little beasts point towards very good things...as NV's architecture does not scale worth a damn compared to AMD.

Personally I dislike the fact that NV once again doesn allow for SLI and I think that they should come with a 'boost' version at this price point, but maxwell is looking very interesting indeed. I think these cards would be great for SFF / HTPC builds. Cool, quiet, power sipping, small form factor and still able to give good performance at 1080P.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 21, 2014, 11:23 AM
Rookie

I don't care that it's intentionally incapable of SLI pairing, it's a midrange product and (strictly from a business perspective) I can see why they went that way.

The 750 Ti isn't so much a great card as it is a great preview of what's to come thanks to Maxwell; the card itself is underperforming for gaming and overpriced for a HTPC/low-end spec machine (in fact, I'd say it's overkill for a HTPC, but that's just me).

The thing I find very odd is the gap between current products; in general terms of performance (power specs not withstanding), the 750 Ti should have been at least as good as the 660, but it falls way short of that. It's not even as good as a 650 Ti Boost. The jump between the 750 Ti and 760 is down-right insane.

Unless the 750 is a temporary stop-gap measure to show what Maxwell is capable of until the 800 series comes out to replace all Kepler-based cards; say, once the 880, 870 and 860s are out, the 850 could close that wide performance gap?
Old February 21, 2014, 01:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

As I stated - the card appears to be intentionally crippled, hence the gap. Notice that the 650 Ti Boost ALSO has SLI - it doesn't just outperform it from a single card perspective. Is the 128-bit interface holding this card back, or did Nvidia swing too far in the direction of efficiency? This disparity is concerning, because contrary to popular belief, I'm starting to suspect this was intentionally done because the Maxwell line up is not going to shape up to be as great as we are expecting. Perhaps Nvidia has no choice but to lean hard on the efficiency angle this time around. I'd love to be wrong though :).

With respect to bias - I see this kind of nonsense all the time. I'm active over on Hardforum as well and there is constant mention of them being Nvidia biased, or AMD biased, etc. Quite frankly I steer clear from posting in the video card section because it often gets out of hand. It seems you can't have an opinion without someone criticizing it one way or another. Just the way it is. The bottom line is the pricing of AMD's current line up is way out of line and they seem to have no way to reign it in. Nvidia has always seemed to have more leverage in this department, and I suspect their internal structure and makeup allows for far more control behind the scenes then us common-folk realize.

It doesn't matter though, all of this just means Nvidia is a far more interesting prospect currently, and it sure as hell isn't because their price/performance makes much sense either. It's hard for a person to rationalize a purchase of a 290X @ the same price as a 780ti, when they know the MSRP is supposed to be $550.

Old February 21, 2014, 04:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The problem is Nvidia gimps the cards right now because they can. They've got the stronger cards it looks like with Maxwell - unless AMD's next generation is much better than anticipated.
Old February 21, 2014, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzSleep View Post
The problem is Nvidia gimps the cards right now because they can. They've got the stronger cards it looks like with Maxwell - unless AMD's next generation is much better than anticipated.
And soon.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old February 25, 2014, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not quite the performance I was personally hoping for. And no SLI.
It was for a glimmer of a second something I looked forward to buying but not anymore.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 25, 2014, 08:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well this could merely be a sample of what maxwell can do but in all seriousness 128bit bus what is the the 90's.
Old March 17, 2014, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Any chance of a review update with the new drivers (335.23) to see how high they can actually OC?
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb