Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2014, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While I am very much impressed with the gains per watt I have to agree that fps/$ is where I expected, and not where I hoped. I still feel these should have been called 740 and 750 to leave room for something else in the gtx 650 ti boost to gtx 660 level performance to call the 750 ti (I feel they were named to hit a price bracket vice to slot in to the product stack...the difference from 750Ti to 760 is massive). Even a highly clocked version of this chip with some faster VRAM would have been nice. All in all it's still a great card though...especially for someone after a decent performing yet cool and powerfully running HTPC.

Nice review

Last edited by Bond007; February 18, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old February 19, 2014, 09:54 AM
Rookie

Well, I can't say I'm terribly impressed by the performance - I wish it had at least topped the 650 Ti Boost - but the low power reqs are out of this world and that makes it really attractive.

I was hoping I'd find a worthy upgrade for my old Radeon 5770 tho, between the 750 Ti that's only sort of ok for gaming @ 1920x1080, and the R7 260X & 265 cards that are decent, but to go with those I'd need to upgrade my PSU as well (my Shuttle SH67H3 box that only has a 300W PSU), I'm a little stuck.

Perhaps the 750 Ti isn't so bad, it's not like I currently game on a high-end GPU at ultra quality with all the bells & whistles turned up.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect

I like it and it seems to be a killer little card - good for my wife!
Old February 19, 2014, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So much wine and nay sayers.. it may be as expensive as a 650ti boost and not quite the performance (out of the box)

but the low low power draw, low low heat and astronomical clocks if you spend 5 mins on it.. whats not to like...

I for one am impatiently waiting on it's BIIIG brothers.. May have some 780's hitting Ebay soon. :D
(Well as soon as I get a whiff of whatever the flagship maxwell part will be, Would love single card @ 1440 G-sync enabled goodness)

Ohh and this just goes to show how much AMD need to raise their game. Could live with the heat and inefficiency IF they were 20% ahead on performance.
If nvidia had gone for the usual (flagship or at least higher end first and a die shrink) then who exactly would touch an AMD (other than the miners out there)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old February 19, 2014, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Ohh and this just goes to show how much AMD need to raise their game. Could live with the heat and inefficiency IF they were 20% ahead on performance.
If nvidia had gone for the usual (flagship or at least higher end first and a die shrink) then who exactly would touch an AMD (other than the miners out there)
Me. It is only the price gouging that keeps me away. From both teams.
Old February 20, 2014, 07:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

128-bit, no SLI. The card is intentionally crippled. Too bad.

Old February 20, 2014, 01:08 PM
MVP

I agree with some things in the review .. a few things i noticed over the last 30 or so reviews between Nvidia and AMD on this site is . hwcanucks reviewers are nvidia bias no point in denying it.
AMD prices are because of retailers gouging and mining driving up prices not AMD releasing cards with a higher msrp.

Majority of your benches are made for nvidia games no one else finds that a touch bias?" Dirt / Metro / assassins creed - " i'm actually surprised the AMD cards did as-well as the did on those games considering some of them weren't even tested on AMD HW aka metro last light which hardly even ran on my 7970 when i had one had to play it on my guest pc with a 770 in it.

Now onto this card like said above .. 128 bit and no sli. if i was going to run a 750 ti id want to sli them the low power and price would make that perhaps worth while. but with its underwhelming performance for single card use id probably pass on it unless i was going super low budget in a HTPC .. but if i was doing that id probably be looking more along the lines of AMD Kaveri APU Dual Graphics new features which seem to be quite promising.

Don't get me wrong here atm for retailers i recommend nvidia quite often due to the gouging going on but i also put the blame squarely on the retailers shoulders.

I have my issues with the 290/x release as-well due to the black screen issues that went with that. but all the other cards are top notch although re-branded just like nvidia's line under the 780gtx.
And also other then that non-black-screening 290/x's are great performers and if retailers weren't gouging customers atm would be in a amazing price-performance space sadly stock is limited but to be fair no one could for see the crypto boom
and AMD had cut production due to lower sales figures.

Some of these reviews are leaving a bad taste in my mouth lately perhaps you don't even realize how its coming across but as someone who buys from both camps regularly i'm picking up on it.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2
Old February 20, 2014, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
I agree with some things in the review .. a few things i noticed over the last 30 or so reviews between Nvidia and AMD on this site is . hwcanucks reviewers are nvidia bias no point in denying it.
AMD prices are because of retailers gouging and mining driving up prices not AMD releasing cards with a higher msrp.

Majority of your benches are made for nvidia games no one else finds that a touch bias?" Dirt / Metro / assassins creed - " i'm actually surprised the AMD cards did as-well as the did on those games considering some of them weren't even tested on AMD HW aka metro last light which hardly even ran on my 7970 when i had one had to play it on my guest pc with a 770 in it.

Now onto this card like said above .. 128 bit and no sli. if i was going to run a 750 ti id want to sli them the low power and price would make that perhaps worth while. but with its underwhelming performance for single card use id probably pass on it unless i was going super low budget in a HTPC .. but if i was doing that id probably be looking more along the lines of AMD Kaveri APU Dual Graphics new features which seem to be quite promising.

Don't get me wrong here atm for retailers i recommend nvidia quite often due to the gouging going on but i also put the blame squarely on the retailers shoulders.

I have my issues with the 290/x release as-well due to the black screen issues that went with that. but all the other cards are top notch although re-branded just like nvidia's line under the 780gtx.
And also other then that non-black-screening 290/x's are great performers and if retailers weren't gouging customers atm would be in a amazing price-performance space sadly stock is limited but to be fair no one could for see the crypto boom

Some of these reviews are leaving a bad taste in my mouth lately perhaps you don't even realize how its coming across but as someone who buys from both camps regularly i'm picking up on it.
I am not bias one way or another, and I buy the best bang for buck mid-range card available when its time to upgrade.

Playing devils advocate against what you said (and again I am a bang for buck person)...most of what you said sounds like your trying to push AMD cards. While I agree that based on MSRP there are great AMD cards, the reality is that there are none available near those prices. I know its a retailer issue and not AMD, but that doesn't change the amount of money that has to leave someones pocket to buy it. Right now Nvidia cards are the ones to recommend FOR GAMERS, because of the inflated AMD prices. If they come back down to where they should be that will change.

All that said this is not a great bang for buck card (current pricing is also higher than MSRP for what I have seen) and even at MSRP I find it a bit high. It is however a great advancement in efficiency and it looks like that is what you pay for with it.

The big problem with most current AMD cards are that they generally run hotter, less efficient, and more noisy...the benefit WAS that you could get more FPS/$, so it was a matter of picking what is more important to you to go AMD or Nvidia. Now that prices are inflated the AMD advantage is gone...obviously this is all my opinion, so take it for what its worth.

EDIT: Out of curiosity what comments in the review do you find pro Nvidia that aren't related to pricing or power consumption (those ones I don't think are pro nvidia...they are reality)?

Last edited by Bond007; February 20, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old February 20, 2014, 05:50 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post

Whut? In how many reviews do we have to mention that the AMD premiums are due to retailer markups? Regardless of whose fault it is, AMD's prices are NOT being applied one way or another. Should we ignore this?
Old February 20, 2014, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm a "best for my budget" kinda guy.. and honestly, AMD vs Nvidia.. It's all Nvidia for now and apart from when they needed to drop their prices vs AMD, it's been that way for a while.

They have much more stable drivers (Last AMD card I owned was a 5870 and it glitched horribly in about 50% of games if AA was on at all), with more updates.. They also have the fastest cards which run VERY significantly cooler and quieter than the AMD's..

AMD on the other hand promise lots and don't deliver.. Mantle, Whole new range of cards? nope.. squeeze the last drop out of what you have and re-badge everything else. AMD are only still competitive at all through Nvidia's need for a "competitor".

That said, the day AMD bring out an awesome card that beats Nvidia in both power and refinement I'll be the first to jump ship. I don't support the "underdog" in cases like this as I am a customer buying a product, I want the best for my money. I worked hard for it, they need to too.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"