Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2014, 06:32 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default GIGABYTE R9 290X WindForce OC Review Comment Thread

GIGABYTE's R9 290X WindForce OC combines everything we could possibly want in a GPU: a great heatsink, high end performance and absolute silence.

Read more here: GIGABYTE R9 290X WindForce OC Review
Old February 5, 2014, 07:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Guys you need to start having BF4 benchmarks.

Unless you're gonna have a comprehensive gpu bf4 benchmark thingy, which would rock.
Old February 5, 2014, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HWC never uses relevant games for their benchmarks
Old February 5, 2014, 07:58 AM

Explain what is "relevant", otherwise your comment is irrelevant.

For example, I can say that World of Tanks is more relevant that COD: Ghosts

I can say Assassin's Creed III is more relevant that AC: BF since there are, on average, more people playing the predecessor on most days

I can say Sins of a Solar Empire is more relevant than BF4 simply because I like playing it more

Relevance varies by person.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

BF4, DayZ, WoT, and other F2P games are what people care about, not years old games that no body plays anymore.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:15 AM

And do you believe our use of slightly older yet still GPU-bound games has affected our conclusions?

If so, please explain how our current ranking of GPUs would be affected by using more F2P games, BF4 or other current titles.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

People look for benchmarks of the games they play, not old games. Sure they give you an idea but in the long run you don't give the numbers that matter.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:21 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
BF4, DayZ, WoT, and other F2P games are what people care about, not years old games that no body plays anymore.
So HWC should review games that look like they came out in 2006 for GPU reviews? I think HWC would quit getting cards to review if all of of the results were showing a $500 performing nearly identical to a $150 card.

People look for benchmarks of the games they play, not old games. Sure they give you an idea but in the long run you don't give the numbers that matter.

Definitely do not agree there.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So, all the games I just listed look like the came out in 2006? Alrighty then.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
People look at benchmarks period, not always game specific. I do not play one game listed on the reviews of this site or many others. Does that matter? Nope.
You have to extrapolate anyways since your system will vary from those used to make the benchmarks.

What is best is when you know the game on the benchmark takes a ton of GPU power to make work (Metro: LL for example) , that gives you a good ballpark idea of where it will be on a game that doesn't require nearly as much.

I think, you are just upset because games you play are not up on the list. You're forgetting a review is to show what the card can do in its absolute. Not how it works on every game you play.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com