Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2014, 08:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Damn, card 0 is back down to the 90s. It seems like with the backplates the cards are just too tight and the one card is throttling itself due to heat. I'll have to try and bump it down to the third PCIe slot (which is an 8 not a 16) unfortunately. We'll see if that ends up better or worse. Otherwise I may have to pick up an EATX MB finally after all :D
Old May 16, 2014, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone still mining? I haven't mined in maybe two months.. Got lazy following all the pump and dumps.
Old May 16, 2014, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Still at it here mainly because I'm trying to kill off my hardware to give me an excuse to upgrade.

Here's a pump of a different kind... Curecoin is currently making a mess of F@H teams:
Curecoin - Team Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

EDIT: Disclaimer: At the time of writing, I haven't seen any post seeing if Pande group has any active contact whatsoever with the designers of the cryptocoin. (i.e. It could go the way of Team FTL at any minute Team F-T-L at it again?)
Old May 17, 2014, 10:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wish I got my Antminer S1's a long time ago (haha but not for the price they were then) I finally dismantled my wine rack of rigs, 2 S1's make it look empty.

Have an A-1 day!
Old May 18, 2014, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Nope. Hung it up 2 months ago. Now that the warmer weather is here, likely won't entertain the idea till winter hits again. Its nice to heat space and make money at the same time.
Old May 19, 2014, 04:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Are most people just quitting or moving on to ASICs? I'm at a crossroads...I had lots of fun getting my rig up but now that summer is coming around my basement is starting to cook.

Contemplating the move to an ASIC...any thoughts?
Old May 19, 2014, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my opinion, moving to ASIC crosses the line between hobby and investement because you really can't repurpose the ASIC for anything. (It's called application-specific for a reason.) I also can't see myself having fun with the ASICs because all they can do is mine. (Unlike a normal rig that you can try different things like gaming, virtual machines, programming stuff, etc.)

Also from what I'm seeing in forums for mining ASICs, they tend to burn themselves instead go into overtemperature failsafe like normal computer components, so I wouldn't dare try that kind of thing in a warm basement. With the mining ASICs, there will always be another one around the corner, so pile up the money in a savings account/buy BTC directly/etc and make a decision when you can use the ASICs for space heaters :)

I'm personally saving up for either a Haswell-E or high-end GPU when they come out (and a month has passed for initial adopters to find the critical bugs). Hopefully by then the altcoin community will settle on another anti-ASIC refuge. I'm seeing some promise in the very memory-hard algos like Scrypt:2048 or Scrypt-Jane with N > 12 or so.
Old May 20, 2014, 05:28 AM
Top Prospect

still mining but not profitable, since i have a rig built only for that, i'm running it and hope for a boost in the coins i'm mining right now.
Old May 20, 2014, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not that most of you want to hear this, but I am glad mining has gone downhill....its bringing some normalcy to GPU pricing.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old May 20, 2014, 06:37 PM
Rookie

One would think that perhaps AMD could release a purpose built card for mining. You wouldn't really need any monitor connectors, hpervision, hdmi audio, etc. etc.