Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2014, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like the non-scam but primitive Scrypt ASICs are coming out now: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=409756.0

At 70kHash it won't be a threat to people currently owning a GPU, but it's something to consider if you want to build a mining rig now.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There's been scrypt ASICS out for a while, theres a 5MH/s one for around $2000-$3000.
Old February 8, 2014, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Having a discussion with the Foxcoin developer (Anonyfox) right now on IRC and there's something that popped into my mind. Theoretically, I think the following would work but he says it'd just make things work. What do you think?

With every cryptocoin, there is the danger of the following happening if the pool controls over 50% of the network hashrate:

1. The majority of the blocks will be found by the pool, if not already. See Foxcoin.

2. An abuse of power somehow and attack the coin? Through forking as seen by CAT.

So in order to prevent this, why not lower this threshold from 50% to 30%? Doing it this way will force the following to occur:

1. Instead of having people be greedy and signing up for that one huge pool, miners would be forced to distribute across multiple pools

2. The distribution of the coins would be more fair as each pool has a more equal chance of finding a block since the max is only 30% vs 50%.

3. Because of this, less people would want to risk signing up for a big pool and causing a fork on the network.

CAT and Coinium is the perfect example. Coinium keeps on getting over 51% of the network hash rate, causing the coin to fork multiple times. Yet people keep on signing up for Coinium and mining there due to greed. Even having an announcement on the pool page isn't forcing people away.
Old February 9, 2014, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Having a discussion with the Foxcoin developer (Anonyfox) right now on IRC and there's something that popped into my mind. Theoretically, I think the following would work but he says it'd just make things work. What do you think?
(...)
The issue with "limiting" someone who is too powerful is that it's difficult to say who is too powerful. Let's say you are the operator of the 51% attack pool. All you have to do to maintain a 51% attack is to cycle between addresses each time you find a block, or distribute the hashing power across multiple instances / servers that are still under your control.Even if the coin prevents a "single" player from being too powerful, due to the nature of the network, nothing prevents you from actually being a single powerful player but pretending to be many less powerful ones.

If it was just a matter of saying "you're too powerful! get out!", there wouldn't be debates over more complicated things like proof of stake.

A proposed solution to powerful pools in proof-of-work coins is already around BTW, it's the p2pool. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool
(They're available for most cryptos but they operate in the same way.)

In p2pools, it's the individual miners that "decide" on what to do with the blocks rather than the pool operator, so unless you have one extremely powerful miner (or you control the coin client + cgminer / cudaminer / minderd of everyone in your pool), the 51% attack doesn't happen.

If there was a coin that was p2pool only, I'd jump right in, but at the moment there's no proposed way of banning centralized pools.
Old February 13, 2014, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pandacoin set to launch tonight! Same with Anti-Keiser-Coin! I think Pandacoin will succeed while AKC will fail. AKC is an obvious pump and dump. Pandacoin has Wolong backing it, who single handedly pushed DOGE to the moon. Of course, there's a chance that Wolong will dump all his DOGE tonight and DOGE will tank, but he'd lose all credibility and Pandacoin will fail as well in that case.
Old February 14, 2014, 12:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

anyone knows where to get good quality pcie risers?

i had 2 i brought from ebay a while back, one was making my 290 crash, the other died in a reboot
Old February 14, 2014, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Set your motherboard BIOS to force PCI-E 2.0 and not "Auto" or 3.0.
Old February 14, 2014, 04:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

it's a x58 setup, so no pcie 3
i'll look what i can find regarding pcie options
Old February 16, 2014, 12:04 AM
Trial Member

Default RISERMAN IS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
anyone knows where to get good quality pcie risers?

i had 2 i brought from ebay a while back, one was making my 290 crash, the other died in a reboot

HAVE NO FEAR! RISERMAN IS HERE.

I have the USB 3.0 powered risers you need IN STOCK in Toronto.

PCI-E 1x16x Powered riser card & cable pack *NEW**- coin mining - City of Toronto Computer Parts For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:07 PM
MVP
F@H

CryptoArticles - Your #1 Source For All Crypto News!

Finally a crypto that have some serious (NOBLE)