Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2013, 06:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Miners, what are your favorite brands of cards?

ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte etc.. What do you prefer and why?

I mine Litecoins and I recently bought two ASUS 7970 Direct CUII (v2) cards. I have yet to receive them and I had the thought that perhaps there were good reasons to avoid certain brands. So here I am asking what you more experienced miners think. thank you.

Last edited by Phill; December 3, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old December 3, 2013, 11:16 PM
Top Prospect

The cheap brand. With lifetime warranty.
Old December 3, 2013, 11:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So it is not that some brands are more temperamental with mining?
Old December 4, 2013, 06:20 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I think it's more the luck of the draw, I recently (last weekend) picked up a used Gigabyte 7970 Windforce 3, but it appears that my particular card isn't very good for mining. I can't crack 600kH/s, even though I've seen other people with the exact same card rave about how easy they are to get to 750. I've tried everything I can think to no avail, I think the card is just sub-par for mining purposes.

I'd rather not think of the alternative ... that the guy I bought it off of slightly damaged the card and that is what's actually hurting performance.
Old December 4, 2013, 05:02 PM
MVP

use afterburner unlock it and try a couple things. you see cgminer is super super finicky and you cant go at the program with your normal thinking of, well overclock further = more performance .

here is what i did with my 7970 Giga oc windforce 3.
I was trying to run the card oc'd first at 1200 then at 1150 then 1100 and it would not perform. so i decided to read a ass ton of configs. concluding a few things most people run 1050 core 1500 mem on these cards for a reason and for me anyways the 1050 core mhz was a key start.

so suggestion here. get msi afterburner -First turn up the fan to 100% and leave it there this is for the ram settings to follow. Set the card to 1050 core mhz you probably wont need to change default voltage on the card for this but maybe just a bit - Im not sure how far your mem will clock but i found 1850 to be a real sweet spot on mine this requires the mem voltage to be @ 1700 mV in msi afterburner to run stable and not crash the client.in games it would run there no voltage bump without issues but not in client without the 1700 mV.

Then onto config. try this config do not leave in the ** symbol i was using them for brackets

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://**Type Address in here remove astrix** -u **type user name here** -p **Password** --shaders 2048 --thread-concurrency 8192 --intensity 13 -g 2 -w 256 --no-submit-stale

Now you may be thinking to yourself. intensity 13 pffff 20 is better....... no no it really isn't what happens with 20 or anything above 13 intensity is you get hash errors usually and also your reported hash rate to the pool will be super low compared to what your seeing on screen at your pc and you will have like a 9+% Invalid (Not Paid) rate that is not good at all it drives down your earnings by a ton in fact when i was running 15-20 intensity i wasn't making hardly any lite coins at the pool now I'm making almost 100% of what i see its a big difference trust me stick with --intensity 13

Either way im averaging 700+ now kh/s and the pool sometimes reports up to 800 for me . i spent alot of time figuring this out because no one explains why certain configs work and others dont. and imho its more about now Invalid (Not Paid) hashes and more about clean efficient kh/s that your pool sees and credits you for. and for what ever reason the program likes the 1050 core speed.

Also if the program crashes or something you need to reboot or it wont seem to start back to the right performance levels again.

almost forgot - run a cmd as administrator and put in the following commands.

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

and

setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

these settings should be ran prior to the config they will fix some issues for you that may hold you back.

---

I should add If 1850mhz mem doesn't work for you or you just cant run it that high, I suggest you try 1500mhz mem and if thats not good. what you should do is start changing the overclock of your memory by 10mhz up or down up preferable from 1400 up.. its the weirdest thing and defys normal thought process but doing this can land you in what the program considers a sweet spot and it will start working much much faster for what ever reason.

I tend to wonder if their are automatic timing changes built into the memory configs and some work better than others and then some cards have different memory and dif timings.

hope this helps
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2

Last edited by sf101; December 4, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old December 4, 2013, 09:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
use afterburner unlock it and try a couple things. you see cgminer is super super finicky and you cant go at the program with your normal thinking of, well overclock further = more performance .

here is what i did with my 7970 Giga oc windforce 3.
I was trying to run the card oc'd first at 1200 then at 1150 then 1100 and it would not perform. so i decided to read a ass ton of configs. concluding a few things most people run 1050 core 1500 mem on these cards for a reason and for me anyways the 1050 core mhz was a key start.

so suggestion here. get msi afterburner -First turn up the fan to 100% and leave it there this is for the ram settings to follow. Set the card to 1050 core mhz you probably wont need to change default voltage on the card for this but maybe just a bit - Im not sure how far your mem will clock but i found 1850 to be a real sweet spot on mine this requires the mem voltage to be @ 1700 mV in msi afterburner to run stable and not crash the client.in games it would run there no voltage bump without issues but not in client without the 1700 mV.

Then onto config. try this config do not leave in the ** symbol i was using them for brackets

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://**Type Address in here remove astrix** -u **type user name here** -p **Password** --shaders 2048 --thread-concurrency 8192 --intensity 13 -g 2 -w 256 --no-submit-stale

Now you may be thinking to yourself. intensity 13 pffff 20 is better....... no no it really isn't what happens with 20 or anything above 13 intensity is you get hash errors usually and also your reported hash rate to the pool will be super low compared to what your seeing on screen at your pc and you will have like a 9+% Invalid (Not Paid) rate that is not good at all it drives down your earnings by a ton in fact when i was running 15-20 intensity i wasn't making hardly any lite coins at the pool now I'm making almost 100% of what i see its a big difference trust me stick with --intensity 13

Either way im averaging 700+ now kh/s and the pool sometimes reports up to 800 for me . i spent alot of time figuring this out because no one explains why certain configs work and others dont. and imho its more about now Invalid (Not Paid) hashes and more about clean efficient kh/s that your pool sees and credits you for. and for what ever reason the program likes the 1050 core speed.

Also if the program crashes or something you need to reboot or it wont seem to start back to the right performance levels again.

almost forgot - run a cmd as administrator and put in the following commands.

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

and

setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

these settings should be ran prior to the config they will fix some issues for you that may hold you back.

---

I should add If 1850mhz mem doesn't work for you or you just cant run it that high, I suggest you try 1500mhz mem and if thats not good. what you should do is start changing the overclock of your memory by 10mhz up or down up preferable from 1400 up.. its the weirdest thing and defys normal thought process but doing this can land you in what the program considers a sweet spot and it will start working much much faster for what ever reason.

I tend to wonder if their are automatic timing changes built into the memory configs and some work better than others and then some cards have different memory and dif timings.

hope this helps

Apparently this card has no sweet spot, I tried going up from 1400 mem, 1050 core in 10MHz mem steps all the way up to 1850 with no real change in my hash rate. I then changed my core down to 1000 and stepped down, with much the same effect. I've been running the config you posted since the start, and have read a crap load of things to try to figure out that one setting that makes my card different ... but I've got nothing ...

Not that I think it's particularly relevant, but my ASIC quality is 74.4% as well.
Old December 5, 2013, 12:27 AM
MVP

its weird i had similar issues - a reboot let my card regain performance when it had problems but i nearly had to stumble onto a setting that worked first and stumbleing around when you need to reboot the card when its messed up is the worst part about it not knowing when your cards messed up or not ltc mining is really so messy.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -work/Spare
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
GPU's ("xfire"2x XFX290X@1150/1500"EKWB"|GIGAOC7970WF3@1250/1850|Asus480GTX@900/2000|
2xEvga260Core216's SLI in HTPC-Retired gpu's 9600ati|9800proATI|8800GTS"320mb&640mb"
|8800GTX|9800GT|9800GX2

Last edited by sf101; December 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old December 5, 2013, 07:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Tell me about it, I was very methodical with the sweeps, and had to restart a few times when the driver errored and my hashrate dropped. I'm just going to leave it mining at 550 - 570kH/s, and tune it to reduce the power as much as possible (currently at 389W from the wall, but that includes monitor, scanner, speakers, printer and the phone handset).

My recommendation to the OP (aside from an apology for thread-jacking) is to take your time to fine-tune the settings, you should be able to get the max hash rate out of those cards at stock core clocks, and more than likely will be able to undervolt it to reduce consumption.
Old December 5, 2013, 12:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
(aside from an apology for thread-jacking)
Ya the idea was for people to list there favorite mining cards (brands) and why.

I mine with a MSI 7970 Twin Frozr III OC BE card and two ASUS 7950 DCU II v2 (triple slot cooler). The ASUS 7950 cards are much quieter but are harder to tweak for max KH/s. The MSI 7970 can be loud and hot by comparison but hashes well and is easy to tune. I also had in the past Gigabyte 7950 Windforce cards and hated them for their noise. Man were they noisy. They hashed really well but I parted with them bc of the noise. They had no problem hitting 630+ KH/s. On all of my cards a under volt them when possible to keep them cooler and quieter.

Last edited by Phill; December 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old December 5, 2013, 12:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf101 View Post
That is interesting to me. I had had great success with --thread-concurrency 21000 -I 20 -g 1 -w 256 --lookup-gap 2 with my 7950's