Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Crossfire 2nd card 100% (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/64178-crossfire-2nd-card-100-a.html)

Birk November 18, 2013 08:01 PM

Crossfire 2nd card 100%

1 Attachment(s)
I did a quick google but I'm doing a million things at once right now,

Just watercooled my dual 7970s and for some reason Afterburner and GPU Tweak are both telling me my second card is running at 99% while the system is idle.

Any ideas? I REALLY don't want to pull the system apart right now.

Killswitch November 18, 2013 08:12 PM

Mine was doing the same thing just now and I thought the system was idle.... 3DMark was open. Running, but not benching.

wirerogue November 18, 2013 10:26 PM

did you disable ulps?

stephengillon November 19, 2013 08:10 AM

preform clean driver install, most likely just a driver conflict.

insure by compairing temps

Squeetard November 19, 2013 08:26 AM

I've got dual 7970's watercooled also. I found chrome would stick on card at 99% some times. Even after I closed it. Probably a flash issue. I installed the new 13.11 beta 9's and it went away

Birk November 19, 2013 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is frustrating!

I have disabled ULPS, I've reinstalled the drivers and CCC and everything a couple times. I've been tempted to run Driver Cleaner but I've read its not recommended.

The temps seem to say that its not really happening but everything else points to that it is happening.

EDIT: When I start or stop furmark card #2 dips to 64% for a moment then back upto 99%

stephengillon November 19, 2013 10:50 AM

run amd uninstall utility before each driver install, i dont understand why its not a feature of there drivers.

Birk November 19, 2013 10:59 AM

I'm going to try this process:

Driver sweeper has been known to remove important chipset files which will result in errors such as instability. Some users have reported that the sweeper software removes “False positives” and may cause the user issues when trying to install software such as drivers. The error usually reports that an .ini file is damaged. Over long term use of driver sweeper, it could cause several underlying issues which will do more harm than good.
This guide is an alternative, which removes all the files and registry entries that need to be removed for a successful uninstall. This is useful for upgrading/downgrading drivers or switching to another brand of card.
Guide (ATi-AMD)
Do not use this guide if you have an AMD CPU/Motherboard as you may destroy required chipset files.

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs

2. Uninstall the Catalyst Install manager (Express Uninstall)

3. Reboot the computer and log back into windows as normal

4. Go to folder options and select “show hidden files and folders”

The next part of the guide will remove all ATi/AMD files and folders from the computer.

5. Go to your C drive and remove the “AMD” folder

6. Double click the “Program Data” folder (Normally hidden) and remove all ATi/AMD folders

7. Go back to C and double click “Program Files” and remove all ATi/AMD folders

8. Go back to C and double click “Program Files (x86)” and remove all ATi/AMD folders

9. Go back to C and double click “Users”

10. Access the name of your windows profile and double click “AppData” (Normally hidden)

11. Check the “Local”, “LocalLow” and “Roaming” folders for any ATi/AMD folders and remove them.

12. Go back to “Users” and check the “Default” folder (Normally hidden)

13. Double click “AppData” (Normally hidden)

14. Check the “Local” and “Roaming” folders for any ATi/AMD folders and remove them.

The next part of the guide will remove registry entries left by the AMD drivers.
15. Close everything down and go back to your desktop

16. Click start, then type “regedit”.

17. Click “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” and extend the folder

18. Click “Software” and extend the folder

19. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

20. Click “Wow6432Node” and extend the folder (Within the software folder)

21. Remove the “AMD” folder

22. Click “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” and extend the folder

23. Click “SOFTWARE” and extend the folder

24. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

25. Click “Wow6432Node” and extend the folder

26. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

27. Click “HKEY_USERS” and extend the folder

28. Click “.DEFAULT” and extend the folder

29. Click “Software” and extend the folder

30. Remove all AMD and ATi folders

31. Click “S-1-5-18” and extend the folder

32. Click “Software” and extend the folder

33. Remove all AMD and ATi folders

34. Click “S-1-5-21-1632250243-966907716-928185508-1000” and extend the folder

35. Click “Software” and extend the folder

36. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

37. Close down regedit and empty your recycle bin

38. Undo the folder options change to hide the hidden folders

39. Reboot

40. Install your AMD/Nvidia drivers and reboot

(Remember, if you look in some of the folders mentioned in this guide but don’t have any AMD/ATi folders, just move to the next appropriate step. This means the uninstall option has removed such files for you. But as we know, the uninstaller still leaves a lot of things behind). For Windows Vista/7. Do at your own risk.

Birk November 19, 2013 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea that didn't work either and now Catalyst Control Center is messed up and OpenCL still isn't enabled. Really not wanting to tear this whole thing apart and do a new windows install.

wirerogue November 19, 2013 03:05 PM

did you try any other monitoring software besides gpu tweak? i found it to be somewhat troublesome with my 7970's in crossfire.