Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

Default Inaugural upgrade time

Need advice on which way I should good as far as upgrades with gaming and overall system performance in mind. The game that is forcing me to upgrade is Skyrim with graphical mods including FXAA injector, ENB Series, Vanilla high rez texture pack and 54 graphics mods and counting it tends to run like poop in some instances and others it is just fine. For the most part all other games I currently play are running great and look great but an FPS boost is always welcome and I would like to smooth out the rough performance areas in heavily modded Skyrim like in towns and cities etc ...

System Specs - Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.5Ghz, 4GB Ram, HD 7850 (1GB), WD Caviar Black 500GB, Asus Xonar DGX, LG 27EA33 1080P

Upgrade path option 1

- Get an R9 270x cause the 2GB frame buffer for Skyrim and the price/performance of the card rocks for 1080p

Upgrade path option 2

HD 7850 crossfire and buy an SSD for the OS and Skyrim etc ...
Old November 11, 2013, 03:42 PM
Banned

BUMP !
Old November 11, 2013, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really don't think you should be "bumping" your thread, even more so after only 2.5 hours. It is generally not accepted around here.

As for upgrades go with the SSD and the 270x, at least that is the best solution. Otherwise I would if I had to stick to one of your options it would be the second one.

Old November 11, 2013, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
As for upgrades go with the SSD and the 270x, at least that is the best solution. Otherwise I would if I had to stick to one of your options it would be the second one.
Thanx for the reply my fellow Edmonchuck LOL.

Ok so with the SSD and second 7850 (1GB) option will that allow me to run more graphical mods on skyrim without it turning into a slide show in Cities and taking 3+min to load when you open some doors in game ? Also I lost my thumb drive that had a bootable copy of Windows 7 installation disk copied to it so can I just clone the SSD to one of my HDD drives that have a clean copy of Windows 7 on it ? If not is it worth it to set up an SSD as a cashing drive for my main HDD ?
Old November 11, 2013, 04:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Skyrim w/ Mods....needs as MUCH vram as you can afford. That is what will bottlneck long before the GPU horsepower at 1080P.

What size SSD are you talking about here. A compromise might be the 270X (or its NV counterpart) and a Desktop SSHD. Might be able to shoehorn both into a reasonable budget. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 11, 2013, 04:50 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Skyrim w/ Mods....needs as MUCH vram as you can afford. That is what will bottlneck long before the GPU horsepower at 1080P.
Modded Skyrim will almost always be a CPU bottleneck @ 1080P. Especially if you want decent view distances.
Old November 11, 2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Modded Skyrim will almost always be a CPU bottleneck @ 1080P. Especially if you want decent view distances.
Well my CPU is only running around 50 to 70% load from my findings when running modded Skyrim with enhanced view distances.

Last edited by lowfat; November 11, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

What size SSD are you talking about here. A compromise might be the 270X (or its NV counterpart) and a Desktop SSHD. Might be able to shoehorn both into a reasonable budget. ;)
I can get another HD 7850 for CF and a 120GB SSD for the same price of an Msi (Gaming) R9 270x
To my understanding an SSD would work to help a 1GB card run modded Skyrim well because an SSD is ultra fast at transferring data like when the Vram Buffer fills up and the game has to read information from the SSD instead of the GPUs Vram buffer. This is just my personal theoretical speculation and is a theory that I would really love to put to the test.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You know you are right lowfat. I always overlook the CPU...as it runs perfectly fine on older i5s...but the OP is using an old 'n' slow AMD Pheenom. Been ages since I ran a toaster oven!

Some of those mods can eat up 2GB of Vram no problems. Hmm that does make for an interesting point. The OP may be better off either running a vanilla Skyrim or upgrading the entire rig instead of doing it piecemeal.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 11, 2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
You know you are right lowfat. I always overlook the CPU...as it runs perfectly fine on older i5s...but the OP is using an old 'n' slow AMD Pheenom. Been ages since I ran a toaster oven!

Some of those mods can eat up 2GB of Vram no problems. Hmm that does make for an interesting point. The OP may be better off either running a vanilla Skyrim or upgrading the entire rig instead of doing it piecemeal.
Actually Skyrim after all the many driver updates from AMD and Bethesda runs just fin on my Phenom II x4 955. On lunch day it was a different story though as in cites it would drop the framerate down to the single digits but now it stays @ 60fps everywhere.
Closed Thread