Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old November 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,392
Default

I ran nearly the same model Phenom as you are. It is old. It is slow. It runs hot. These are all facts. Facts I overlooked but Lowfat did not. You can call it AMD hate all you want but that doesnt change the fact that a $200 Intel cpu + $150 mobo combination will result in a system that runs faster than a crackhead with your stereo. You say your are getting 60FPS in Skyrim. I doubt it. You might be peaking at 60FPS but I bet the avg will be a lot lower. This will only get worse with more mods. Slow CPU + not much VRAM == slow. Sorry but it does.

It might be better to save your coin and upgrade the entire rig and not throw good money after bad. If you cant/wont/etc do that for a myraid of reasons....Id go with second hand, gently used GPU that cost as little as possible. Get another year or two out of the rig. Save your money...and then upgrade the entire works. A 1TB Seagate Desktop SSHD will only set you back a bill or so. The 2TB model will cost about twenty bucks more. Go new on that part of the equation. If you want to go the SSD route, get something that can do good in non-TRIM enviros (as AMD - especially the older gens SUCKED at TRIM support. It was hit or miss and will cause issues for a lot of peeps). This means Crucial M4 (used), M500, Intel 520, 530, Samsung 8 series, etc etc. IE ones with either great ITGC or software for 'manual TRIM'.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
  #22 (permalink)  
Old November 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I ran nearly the same model Phenom as you are. It is old. It is slow. It runs hot. These are all facts
. Facts I overlooked but Lowfat did not. You can call it AMD hate all you want but that doesnt change the fact that a $200 Intel cpu + $150 mobo combination will result in a system that runs faster than a crackhead with your stereo. You say your are getting 60FPS in Skyrim. I doubt it. You might be peaking at 60FPS but I bet the avg will be a lot lower. This will only get worse with more mods. Slow CPU + not much VRAM == slow. Sorry but it does. [/QUOTE]

You are incorrect on many accounts. Aside from some online multiplayer games like Planetside2, GW2 etc which runlike crap on any hardware an OCed Deneb Phenom II x4 chip is just fine for playing games that is unless you are looking to attain 120fps minimums for that fancy 120Hz TN craptastic panel. But then again you would not be pairing up an old Phenom II 955 with Ultra high end CF/SLI GPUs capable of maintaining 120Hz FPS.

 photo Desktop_2013_11_11_21_47_28_229_zpscba2bb4a.png

[/QUOTE]It might be better to save your coin and upgrade the entire rig and not throw good money after bad. If you cant/wont/etc do that for a myraid of reasons....Id go with second hand, gently used GPU that cost as little as possible. Get another year or two out of the rig. Save your money...and then upgrade the entire works. A 1TB Seagate Desktop SSHD will only set you back a bill or so. The 2TB model will cost about twenty bucks more. Go new on that part of the equation. If you want to go the SSD route, get something that can do good in non-TRIM enviros (as AMD - especially the older gens SUCKED at TRIM support. It was hit or miss and will cause issues for a lot of peeps). This means Crucial M4 (used), M500, Intel 520, 530, Samsung 8 series, etc etc. IE ones with either great ITGC or software for 'manual TRIM'.[/QUOTE]

Why Upgrade the whole rig when I can just drop in an FX 6300 right onto my mobo and a new GPU, SSD, mass storage HDD etc .. as time, life and funds permit. I already have a decent rig that plays any game out today with a good set of graphical settings at a decent framerate but you make it seem like I am running an old HD 5750 and an Athlon X2 CPU. I dont see a new CPU helping Gaming that much as in most games sans BF3 "Online" I am getting the performance framerate numbers I should be with the HD 7850 according to the online benchmarks and other end user opinions.
  #23 (permalink)  
Old November 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
The game that is forcing me to upgrade is Skyrim with graphical mods including FXAA injector, ENB Series, Vanilla high rez texture pack and 54 graphics mods and counting it tends to run like poop in some instances
I'm sure a second GPU and an Intel SSD will clear this up for you ;) ..You'd be wise to take some of the advice being offered here in seriousness, a number of the folks here actually know what makes a great gaming Rig perform best....not only high end, but very low end as well...there's a hell of a lot of knowledge kicking around here.......

You started out this Thread saying you're not happy with some of the gaming results and are looking for some input on improvements, well its being offered.....you're now negating and saying your getting great gameplay ....huh?! .....

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll get it all figured out ;)
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
  #24 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2013, 12:01 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
I'm sure a second GPU and an Intel SSD will clear this up for you ;) ..You'd be wise to take some of the advice being offered here in seriousness, a number of the folks here actually know what makes a great gaming Rig perform best....not only high end, but very low end as well...there's a hell of a lot of knowledge kicking around here.......

You started out this Thread saying you're not happy with some of the gaming results and are looking for some input on improvements, well its being offered.....you're now negating and saying your getting great gameplay ....huh?! .....

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll get it all figured out ;)
I have been system building for many years now since my first build circa 2005 which consisted of a GeForce 6800GS and AMD Athlon64 3500+ OCed to 3.0Ghz. I have more exsperience than you guy's understand. With that said I like to learn and get others opinions especially with SSDs because so far I have not messed with them much at all and have never system built with an SSD yet. For a gaming rig the GPU is always going to be the best overall performance booster and money well spent for in game framerates so long as the CPU is not terrible. That's why I put precedence on GPU power in my upgrade options in the OP. The AMD x4 955 is good enough to run most games @ 60fps locked as long as the GPU power is there. That said I do not have the funds right now to invest in enough GPU power to even warrant a CPU upgrade nor would I want to or need to as games now in days do not look much better on Ultra than they do on High/Med settings.
  #25 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2013, 06:48 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,392
Default

Well mate I have building systems since the early 80s. A lot of us have here have been. Others...the 90s.

I have given you my opinion. Others have as well. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
  #26 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2013, 07:27 AM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,210

My System Specs

Default

Oh my goodness. How the hell did this get 'turned' into an 'AMD' hate thread?

IT IS NOT AN AMD HATE THREAD. Look, I currently run a Thuban Hex core in my son's rig. Is it a good chip? yeah. Is it old? Yes. Is it Hot? Very. Is it slower than any modern chip? YES!

Gordon, people aren't ragging on your processor just for the fun of it, they're ragging on it because if you want to play high end current games, that processor has reached the end of its useable life. There are now much better and greater processors out there.

Is there still a use for your 955? Probably. Is it still capable of running some less CPU-intensive games? Absolutely. Would I ever play BF4 on my son's 1055T? Probably not.


What you should be looking for is a general rig upgrade. Even if it is over time. Maybe your first priority is to replace your video card. Okay, Fine! Get a 2GB R7-270. BUT, even with that lowly card, your CPU will be holding you back, which is what people are trying to tell you. Skyrim is one of those CPU dependent games that requires good single threaded performance, which was hasn't been a forte of AMD for over half a decade. Save your pennies, and your next upgrade after a GPU should be your motherboard and processor. Look for a decent motherboard and Core i3 combo. If all you're playing is Skyrim, the i3 should have more than enough horsepower. Hold off the SSD for now. While it may be nice, it shouldn't be your priority at the moment, especially if you have limited funds.

And Please Please Please stop arguing with EVERYBODY. It gets tiring, and I'd hate to see somebody else get banned for stupid pigheadedness.
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
  #27 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2013, 07:53 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

Guys.. Nothing you say to this guy will make him change his mind.. He will think what he wants to and that is that.

  #28 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2013, 07:56 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,068

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon freemen View Post
I have been system building for many years now since my first build circa 2005 which consisted of a GeForce 6800GS and AMD Athlon64 3500+ OCed to 3.0Ghz. I have more exsperience than you guy's understand. With that said I like to learn and get others opinions especially with SSDs because so far I have not messed with them much at all and have never system built with an SSD yet. For a gaming rig the GPU is always going to be the best overall performance booster and money well spent for in game framerates so long as the CPU is not terrible. That's why I put precedence on GPU power in my upgrade options in the OP. The AMD x4 955 is good enough to run most games @ 60fps locked as long as the GPU power is there. That said I do not have the funds right now to invest in enough GPU power to even warrant a CPU upgrade nor would I want to or need to as games now in days do not look much better on Ultra than they do on High/Med settings.
See here is the problem.
You ask for advice....from a forum that has a great depth of knowledge. Then when you get the advice because it is not what you want to hear, you turn it around and say because you have done it for 8 years you now know better than the rest of us?
I had, the first PC in home ever. Period. Does that make me flaunt it in other peoples face? No. I still learn each and every day. I learn from some of the best on here (AkG for SSD's as an example).
You have to take into consideration that YOU do not know everything. Once you accept that and accept the forums help , you will be better off for it.
Otherwise why create the thread if you know better?
Why say something starts running like 'poop' and then suddenly it runs great so long as you aren't chasing 120FPS?
You're contradicting yourself and frustrating many people who have no Bias against you and are just trying to help.
We only have, so much patience for this.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
  #29 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2013, 09:38 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon freemen View Post
120Hz TN craptastic panel.


I've got an Abacus that is faster than a Phenom. And it runs at ambient room temp.

All AMD's stuff is currently JUNK. Get an intel i5 and GTX.


That oughta do it.
  #30 (permalink)  
Old November 12, 2013, 12:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post


I've got an Abacus that is faster than a Phenom. And it runs at ambient room temp.

All AMD's stuff is currently JUNK. Get an intel i5 and GTX.


That oughta do it.
Another Intel/nvidia cop out noooooo LOl ! AMD is just stronger right now and you don't need Intel to play games @ 60Hz man. I don't pick sides I pick the best vaule for money which is defiantly speaking as a PC gamer not Intel and or nvidia.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to upgrade? BrianHanna Storage 1 September 26, 2011 03:00 PM
time to upgrade Lanboy New Builds 8 May 30, 2011 07:30 AM
Time for an upgrade .. maybe? implosion222 Video Cards 22 August 14, 2010 12:38 AM
Time to Upgrade Again Beermaster CPU's and Motherboards 2 April 23, 2008 10:25 AM
time to upgrade monsterp CPU's and Motherboards 6 October 30, 2007 09:04 PM