Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2013, 05:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Ipaine.....if you do it I'll do it :).....
use mem express to do the price beat

EDIT: You can't, cheaper at memory express. my god 2 would be so sick

If you have the cash, just do it
Old November 7, 2013, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

yeah a tad over $1500 w tax ....ncix $699 ea. $200 more for SC versions is rediculous!!

Old November 7, 2013, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Very nice review, I like how you try to balance out all the multiple factors such as "AMD friendly games," "You might not want the Shield," " if you can put up with the noise of UBER mode," etc.

I am rooting for nvidia BECAUSE they actually try to give us a great gaming experience instead of just focusing on raw power at all costs. I will say that the 480 was a blunder on their part when it comes to this, but ever since the 460 came out, they have really focused on not making us chose between efficiency/temperature/noise. They have been pretty decent at giving us performance at a similar price to AMD with all the perks of making GPUs that give you a better overall experience.

I wouldn't say that AMD doesn't still have a great offering for your money, but I am willing to pay a premium to avoid feeling like I'm standing behind a jet engine (figuratively). That said, I'm not 100% certain $700 is the perfect price, but it is close enough considering owning "the best" always carries a premium.
Well the 290x was the best and it was cheaper. nvidia always over charges and that' why there profit is on the decline. Wait for a proper cooler to come to market for the 290x cause that' the only thing holding the card back. 780ti is hardly much faster than the 290x but cost allot more which is why i think it's another pricing fail from team green.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Power hog, yet it consumes less power than AMD's offering. And, considering the advances this has made over all previous generations it still does not consume much more power at all (30W or so difference) than its older brothers.

Much cooler running too than other options.
Had this been the 480 series, we all new that debacle. What this is , is a pinnacle GPU. And the costs for it I believe make sense. Though, hey we all could use it cheaper.

-ST
10 watts +- no big deal but it's still defiantly a power hog so we can't down play that. The 480 was a beast and rapped the 5870 but the 780ti does not rape the 290x as it's only a scant 5 to 15% faster and often just ties it. This is not a nig adavance over the 780 and 290x it is only slightly faster for allot more money and power consumption and noise.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon freemen View Post
10 watts +- no big deal but it's still defiantly a power hog so we can't down play that. The 480 was a beast and rapped the 5870 but the 780ti does not rape the 290x as it's only a scant 5 to 15% faster and often just ties it. This is not a nig adavance over the 780 and 290x it is only slightly faster for allot more money and power consumption and noise.
So wait.

10w out of a 300w card = 3% and thats "a power hog so we cant downplay that"

Yet the 780ti is "5 to 15%" 'slightly' faster and a nig advance (I think if I can read this garbage)?

Dude. You dont even realize your own written contradictions!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Soultribunal; November 7, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I will wait until I see some non reference 290X cards then choose between the 290X and the 780Ti. Should be just in time for the Star Citizen dog fighting alpha.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Power hog, yet it consumes less power than AMD's offering. And, considering the advances this has made over all previous generations it still does not consume much more power at all (30W or so difference) than its older brothers.

Much cooler running too than other options.
Had this been the 480 series, we all new that debacle. What this is , is a pinnacle GPU. And the costs for it I believe make sense. Though, hey we all could use it cheaper.

-ST
780ti consumes allot more power than 780 almost 40watts more NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Review. 480 stomped the 5870 into the ground more offten than not but the fact is that this 780 ti does not stomp the 780 and 290x as it;s just fast enough to be consider er faster than those two cars. In reality to be fair the 780 ti ties the 290x in more than a couple titles where the 480 stomped the 5870 is most games.

Last edited by Gordon freemen; November 7, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
780ti consumes allot more power than 780 almost 40watts more NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Review. 480 stomped the 5870 into the ground more offten than not but the fact is that this 780 ti does not stomp the 780 and 290x as it;s just fast enough to be consider er faster than those two cars. In reality to be fair the 780 ti ties the 290x in more than a couple titles where the 480 stomped the 5870 is most games.
The 780Ti beats the 290x in every department. It's faster, uses less power, makes less noise and runs cooler. AMD lost the top spot big time...The 290 will be a winner if the 3rd party coolers can bring the temps and noise down.

High end cards have NEVER been a good price point. If you want the fastest you pay the mostest.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
personally cannot recommend the 780ti as a viable option today until it comes down to a competitive pricing or around $550/600 bucks as the performance is just not there for the price this card commands. I think nvidia over hyped and failed on the pricing front once again. Get an OCed 780 non ti instead and save money or better yet get an R 290 for $400 and OC it and spend the saved money other things like an SSD etc.
Flagship cards need flagship prices. Same goes for the R9 290x, wouldn't make sense to go for it after the release of the R9 290 benchmarks. Nvidia's pricing and hyping aren't failures at all.. why? Cause a decent amount of people actually shell out money for them; I'd actually BE one of those idiots.

What Nvidia is doing now is basically the equivalent of sneaking in a groin shot after the fight's been broken up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Soul......Canadian Coast Guard is always hiring and recruiting
Didn't know we even had a Coast Guard. I mean, I knew we had something, but I thought it was like the "Canadian Coastal Defence Service"; wasn't aware it was a legit organization. Guess I'm not immersed into the subject as I thought.
Old November 7, 2013, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_guitarboy View Post
The 780Ti beats the 290x in every department. It's faster, uses less power, makes less noise and runs cooler. AMD lost the top spot big time...The 290 will be a winner if the 3rd party coolers can bring the temps and noise down.

High end cards have NEVER been a good price point. If you want the fastest you pay the mostest.
Beats it in every department except price, you can't pick and choose with your criteria.

Can you live with more heat/noise? Do you like saving a buck? 290X for sure.

Can you afford more? Don't care about price/performance, but you do care about noise? Then 780Ti is for you. Assuming that aftermarket coolers for the 290X are a total flop.