Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2013, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Yes I would think we'll see a whole gammet of this card....over on NCIX the SC version is $69 more....used to be only around $30 more for a an SC or FTW.....geez. Also over at NCIX no mention of or advertising on the product page for the Game Bundle to be included.....queried em.

Anyhow, threw a couple (SC versions) in my Cart...at checkout a tad over $1700....still, I remember seeing close to $2400 for the titans....killer though as always we know these will be "it" only until around April'ish...then the Maxwell Cards will blow these out of the water, much like Fermi to Kepler.

Old November 7, 2013, 03:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Yes I would think we'll see a whole gammet of this card....over on NCIX the SC version is $69 more....used to be only around $30 more for a an SC or FTW.....geez. Also over at NCIX no mention of or advertising on the product page for the Game Bundle to be included.....queried em.

Anyhow, threw a couple (SC versions) in my Cart...at checkout a tad over $1700....still, I remember seeing close to $2400 for the titans....killer though as always we know these will be "it" only until around April'ish...then the Maxwell Cards will blow these out of the water, much like Fermi to Kepler.
Good stuff mate, between you and Slik, you keep EVGA Employed.

Not liking the extra surcharge for the SC, unless the SC includes some very serious cooling upgrade.

On a side note RJ, I need a job wherever it is you work

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 7, 2013, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Soul......Canadian Coast Guard is always hiring and recruiting....we could use a good infomatics dude onboard our ships ;)......besides I havent hit the "purchase" button yet...still irks me seeing $1700....someone please convince my OCD that the vanilla version is just as good as I'll surely be OC'ing to SC speeds anyhow ;)

Old November 7, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At mem express, the stock evga 780ti is $739.99 and the superclocked is $749.99. So in this case the SC is worth the extra $10 in my mind. But the thing is I think I would be more interested in the ACX cooler and those are not on sale yet, which sucks. Again though just trying to decide if I should wait till Maxwell is out or not.

I still think they are too much though. I would be much more into them if they were say $50 cheaper. I mean the evga 780 classified is $589, so that is $160 difference, which is a lot in my mind.

Old November 7, 2013, 04:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Soul......Canadian Coast Guard is always hiring and recruiting....we could use a good infomatics dude onboard our ships ;)......besides I havent hit the "purchase" button yet...still irks me seeing $1700....someone please convince my OCD that the vanilla version is just as good as I'll surely be OC'ing to SC speeds anyhow ;)
In another life, I think I would mate. I did one service for my country already. I have very deep and profound respect for you guys. Especially on the East coast where I've been out in a few tiny boats off the banks..

Get the vanilla, these have the thermal headroom and will get to SC levels without issue.
And I'll just 'borrow' your Classy's lol

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old November 7, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Way cheaper over at Mem express, but they are only for pre-order. Ok, maybe not way cheaper but hey two of the SC ones in the cart there is "only" $1499

Old November 7, 2013, 04:30 PM
Banned

GTX 780ti

Pros
- Fastest GPU on the planet
- Good reference cooling/OCing
- nice looking
- Great game bundle

Cons
-
Power Hog
- to expensive to properly compete
- only small performance 5-15% gains for allot more money than other cards in it's class
- much louder than 780/Titan
- inconsistent performance from game to game compared to the competition

Sources - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Review - Full GK110 Crashes into Hawaii | PC Perspective
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...arks,3663.html

I personally cannot recommend the 780ti as a viable option today until it comes down to a competitive pricing or around $550/600 bucks as the performance is just not there for the price this card commands. I think nvidia over hyped and failed on the pricing front once again. Get an OCed 780 non ti instead and save money or better yet get an R 290 for $400 and OC it and spend the saved money other things like an SSD etc.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice review, I like how you try to balance out all the multiple factors such as "AMD friendly games," "You might not want the Shield," " if you can put up with the noise of UBER mode," etc.

I am rooting for nvidia BECAUSE they actually try to give us a great gaming experience instead of just focusing on raw power at all costs. I will say that the 480 was a blunder on their part when it comes to this, but ever since the 460 came out, they have really focused on not making us chose between efficiency/temperature/noise. They have been pretty decent at giving us performance at a similar price to AMD with all the perks of making GPUs that give you a better overall experience.

I wouldn't say that AMD doesn't still have a great offering for your money, but I am willing to pay a premium to avoid feeling like I'm standing behind a jet engine (figuratively). That said, I'm not 100% certain $700 is the perfect price, but it is close enough considering owning "the best" always carries a premium.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon freemen View Post
GTX 780ti

Pros
- Fastest GPU on the planet
- Good reference cooling/OCing
- nice looking
- Great game bundle

Cons
- Power Hog
- to expensive to properly compete
- only small performance 5-15% gains for allot more money than other cards in it's class
- much louder than 780/Titan
- inconsistent performance from game to game compared to the competition

Sources - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Review - Full GK110 Crashes into Hawaii | PC Perspective
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...arks,3663.html

I personally cannot recommend the 780ti as a viable option today until it comes down to a competitive pricing or around $550/600 bucks as the performance is just not there for the price this card commands. I think nvidia over hyped and failed on the pricing front once again. Get an OCed 780 non ti instead and save money or better yet get an R 290 for $400 and OC it and spend the saved money other things like an SSD etc.
Power hog, yet it consumes less power than AMD's offering. And, considering the advances this has made over all previous generations it still does not consume much more power at all (30W or so difference) than its older brothers.

Much cooler running too than other options.
Had this been the 480 series, we all new that debacle. What this is , is a pinnacle GPU. And the costs for it I believe make sense. Though, hey we all could use it cheaper.

-ST

Old November 7, 2013, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ipaine.....if you do it I'll do it :).....