Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2013, 09:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I could possibly squeeze more cash if I wait longer. I was thinking about getting two 760s and running them in SLI since from the benchmarks I have seen they run on par or better (in some cases) with the Titan and would be like half the price. Plus I can get a copy of Assassin's Creed IV and Splinter Cell Blacklist (which support SLI). I would actually be getting two copies, so I could sell a copy of each. I would be roughly saving $240 with the value of the 4 games.
Old November 7, 2013, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
Never asked if you liked the game or not. Also have you heard what the devs are actually saying about mantle? I doubt it gets off the ground. Sorry................ Talk about it when its not just a fanboys dream.
Microsoft would be the only dev that would not want to back this thing for obvious reasons.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker View Post
I could possibly squeeze more cash if I wait longer. I was thinking about getting two 760s and running them in SLI since from the benchmarks I have seen they run on par or better (in some cases) with the Titan and would be like half the price. Plus I can get a copy of Assassin's Creed IV and Splinter Cell Blacklist (which support SLI). I would actually be getting two copies, so I could sell a copy of each. I would be roughly saving $240 with the value of the 4 games.
Hey OP, it would be on par with a Titan performance, but hardware maestros these days would advise against SLI/CFX. I ran two cards in SLI recently, and while the frame rates were very good for the moola there were a lot of micro-stutters and jitters that I did not notice, until I tried testing a single decent GPU. The experience was a lot smoother and less cumbersome.

Selling the games is a decent way to save cash, but you wouldn't be able to sell the game codes on here man, or any other HW community; Nvidia prohibits that. You would need to sell locally or on the down low mane. So you're left with:

1. Wait till early 2014 for the after-market cooled R9 290 (best option)
2. Get a GTX770 or R9 280x if you can't wait. They're similarly priced right now due to the Nvidia price drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon freemen View Post
Yup 1Gb is fine for any game @ 1080P.
If OP is willing to shell out 400 bones for a card, he's going to get more than 1GB VRAM anyway. I had 2 GTX 460s chewing up BF3 in Ultra 1080P (filters off), but could not get it to run textures on high because of the 768MB VRAM. The same thing happened with Payday 2, an arguably easy game to run.. it was having VRAM issues on the meth lab map.

Quote:
just finish Metro LL the other day on Very High settings all maxed out sans SSAA on a 1GB HD 7850 and the framerate was between 40 and 60fps throughout the whole game.
You must have a godlike 7850. Cause it looks like in normal conditions a 7850 can't even hack a decent FPS on high-settings @ 1680x1050 .

Metro: Last Light Performance, Benchmarked > High Quality Performance - TechSpot

Wasn't even in testing @ 1920x1200.

http://www.techspot.com/review/670-m...nce/page5.html

Different benchmarks @ 1920x1080p.

PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 SCS3 1GB Passive Video Card Review - Page 9 of 13 - Legit ReviewsMetro Last Light

Quote:
Played the Beta and it sucked IMO. That said the framerate was pretty decent
Decent as in 25fps?

Last edited by le2key; November 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le2key View Post
Hey OP, it would be on par with a Titan performance, but hardware maestros these days would advise against SLI/CFX. I ran two cards in SLI recently, and while the frame rates were very good for the moola there were a lot of micro-stutters and jitters that I did not notice, until I tried testing a single decent GPU. The experience was a lot smoother and less cumbersome.

Selling the games is a decent way to save cash, but you wouldn't be able to sell the game codes on here man, or any other HW community; Nvidia prohibits that. You would need to sell locally or on the down low mane. So you're left with:

1. Wait till early 2014 for the after-market cooled R9 290 (best option)
2. Get a GTX770 or R9 290x if you can't wait. They're similarly priced right now due to the Nvidia price drops.

If OP is willing to shell out 400 bones for a card, he's going to get more than 1GB VRAM anyway. I had 2 GTX 460s chewing up BF3 in Ultra 1080P (filters off), but could not get it to run textures on high because of the 768MB VRAM. The same thing happened with Payday 2, an arguably easy game to run.. it was having VRAM issues on the meth lab map.

You must have a godlike 7850. Cause it looks like in normal conditions a 7850 can't even hack a decent FPS on high-settings @ 1680x1050 .

Metro: Last Light Performance, Benchmarked > High Quality Performance - TechSpot

Wasn't even in testing @ 1920x1200.

http://www.techspot.com/review/670-m...nce/page5.html

Different benchmarks @ 1920x1080p.

PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 SCS3 1GB Passive Video Card Review - Page 9 of 13 - Legit ReviewsMetro Last Light

Decent as in 25fps?

As you can see, we once again have another one of 'those' on the forum.
1GB is never enough for 1080P. Tanks is almost maxing 2GB on my 650TI's...so 2GB I think should be a new standard.

Good links, and, good points mate. At least some of us can still see the forest from the trees.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 11, 2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
As you can see, we once again have another one of 'those' on the forum.
1GB is never enough for 1080P. Tanks is almost maxing 2GB on my 650TI's...so 2GB I think should be a new standard.

Good links, and, good points mate. At least some of us can still see the forest from the trees.

-ST
The 650ti is not even powerful enough to use more than 1GB Vram.

"In Battlefield 3 at 1,920 x 1,080, the MSI HD 7850 1GB was actually able to outperform the 2GB version thanks to its factory overclock, albeit by a single frame per second on the minimum frame rate. This suggests that the 2GB's extra 1GB of GDDR5 is all but useless at this resolution." MSI Radeon HD 7850 1GB - Performance Analysis and Conclusion | bit-tech.net

"When it comes to gaming performance the XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Core
Edition did better than expected with a screen resolution of 19201080!
We were able to easily play all the current game titles at 1080p with
the image quality settings cranked up! There were a few game titles like
Skyrim where we felt a minor hiccup here or there when the frame buffer
would fill up, but they were few and far between." XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Core Edition Video Card Review - Page 13 of 13 - Legit ReviewsFinal Thoughts and Conclusions

"We have to admit this was a bit of a surprise. We wanted to get the 1GB version of the HD 7850 to test it against the HD 7770 more than anything else - assuming this would be the card it'd be going up against. After all, the 2GB frame buffer of the stock HD 7850 must be partly responsible for its impressive showing at hi-res, right? And that's putting post-processing such as anti-aliasing in the mix.
How wrong we were. It seems that the bottleneck to the Pitcairn Pro's performance is not the memory at all - the GPU itself bottlenecks performance well before the memory gets anywhere near making things crawl.
What does that mean though? Well, it means the 1GB version of the HD 7850, especially the slightly overclocked version supplied by MSI, is more than able to keep pace with the stock 2GB version of the Pitcairn Pro card." MSI HD 7850 1GB review | Graphics cards Reviews | TechRadar

"The Radeon HD 7850 was initially loaded with 2 GB of memory. However, a 1 GB version is now also on sale. Apart from the difference in memory, the two graphics cards are identical, notably in terms of their operating speeds.

We tested the 1 GB version anyway, and we didn't notice any difference in performance between the two models when used at 1920 x 1200 pixels or less (Full HD in particular). This review is therefore a straight copy and paste of our Radeon HD 7850 2 GB review." AMD Radeon HD 7850 1 GB: Review

Old November 12, 2013, 06:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The 650ti is not even powerful enough to use more than 1GB Vram.

"In Battlefield 3 at 1,920 x 1,080, the MSI HD 7850 1GB was actually able to outperform the 2GB version thanks to its factory overclock, albeit by a single frame per second on the minimum frame rate. This suggests that the 2GB's extra 1GB of GDDR5 is all but useless at this resolution." MSI Radeon HD 7850 1GB - Performance Analysis and Conclusion | bit-tech.net

"When it comes to gaming performance the XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Core
Edition did better than expected with a screen resolution of 19201080!
We were able to easily play all the current game titles at 1080p with
the image quality settings cranked up! There were a few game titles like
Skyrim where we felt a minor hiccup here or there when the frame buffer
would fill up, but they were few and far between." XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Core Edition Video Card Review - Page 13 of 13 - Legit ReviewsFinal Thoughts and Conclusions

"We have to admit this was a bit of a surprise. We wanted to get the 1GB version of the HD 7850 to test it against the HD 7770 more than anything else - assuming this would be the card it'd be going up against. After all, the 2GB frame buffer of the stock HD 7850 must be partly responsible for its impressive showing at hi-res, right? And that's putting post-processing such as anti-aliasing in the mix.
How wrong we were. It seems that the bottleneck to the Pitcairn Pro's performance is not the memory at all - the GPU itself bottlenecks performance well before the memory gets anywhere near making things crawl.
What does that mean though? Well, it means the 1GB version of the HD 7850, especially the slightly overclocked version supplied by MSI, is more than able to keep pace with the stock 2GB version of the Pitcairn Pro card." MSI HD 7850 1GB review | Graphics cards Reviews | TechRadar

"The Radeon HD 7850 was initially loaded with 2 GB of memory. However, a 1 GB version is now also on sale. Apart from the difference in memory, the two graphics cards are identical, notably in terms of their operating speeds.

We tested the 1 GB version anyway, and we didn't notice any difference in performance between the two models when used at 1920 x 1200 pixels or less (Full HD in particular). This review is therefore a straight copy and paste of our Radeon HD 7850 2 GB review." AMD Radeon HD 7850 1 GB: Review

Much like you have a tendency to say Gordon, my cards and what they are doing when I play games beg to differ (i.e. see your own responses in that other thread)
You are showing me AMD Cards not utilizing their full memory buffer, but nothing on the 650TI Boost not being able to do it.
Both cards of mine have 88% memory usage , so that is 1.76GB used per card at 1080P ultra settings.
How can a card that is not 'able' to utilize 2GB of memory actually do that?
If you want the theory to be tested, feel free to send me 1GB boost cards to do a side by side and I'll gladly give it a go.

Forest mate...from the trees.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com