Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2013, 09:37 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB Review Comment Thread

The R9 290 is a rare card; it competes well against higher-priced NVIDIA and AMD offerings (including the mighty R9 290X) while selling for just $399. Does that sound like a near-perfect approach? You bet!

Read more here: AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB Review

Last edited by SKYMTL; November 4, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hope its performance is near the gtx 780 :)
Old November 4, 2013, 10:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Live now.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:28 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

wow..... gotta get me one of those and an arctic hydro cooler!
Old November 4, 2013, 11:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

To some $150 may be worth the extra 5-7 FPS, but the R9-290 is a grant FPS winner, by my wallet. Though much like the 290X, will like to see AIB versions of this card, to better address screaming banshee/easy-bake oven low points of the R9-290, and see how well the AIBs can turns those frowns upside down.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey Sky did you see what Toms did with the accelero extreme 3? If these things had a proper cooler they would push frames like crazy. Water cooling on these will be insane, board partners should really be able to knock this one out of the park for AMD.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3659-19.html
Old November 4, 2013, 11:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Excellent Review as always.

I was a little surprised at the min FPS in Tomb Raider. But WOW! I want two of these!

I think AMD may have slit it's wrists though with regards to the X. Mind you it may differentiate itself more with third party cooling. I don't think (as it stands) $150.00 is worth the ~7% more performance. But that's just me.

Edit: Still not finding the 290X any cheaper than 610.00 though. Not sure if availability is there yet. It wasn't last I checked.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; November 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:16 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Excellent Review as always.

I was a little surprised at the min FPS in Tomb Raider. But WOW! I want two of these!

I think AMD may have slit it's wrists though with regards to the X. Mind you it may differentiate itself more with third party cooling. I don't think (as it stands) $150.00 is worth the ~7% more performance. But that's just me.

Edit: Still not finding the 290X any cheaper than 610.00 though. Not sure if availability is there yet. It wasn't last I checked.
agree. i think the 290 is gonna cannibalize AMD's high end GPU segment. $400 for that kind of performance is just wicked.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:41 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by le2key View Post
agree. i think the 290 is gonna cannibalize AMD's high end GPU segment. $400 for that kind of performance is just wicked.
IMO, $500+ cards are extremely low volume to begin with. I base this opinion on Steam survey results. My guess these cards are priced according to volume.

I think that in forums like these, we get the impression that top end cards are more relevant than they actually are - in terms of sales and market penetration.
Old November 5, 2013, 02:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't like the whole Nvidia finally giving in to pressure type stuff on the pricing.. it's not like they take 3-5 months to get their prices to a point people are willing to pay vs AMD.. Unlike AMD who after the 6xx series was released were idiotic in their reaction time. Really Nvidia took a week to respond to the 290x (which had basically no supply anyway) and time will tell if they need to and indeed if they will respond further by dropping the 780's price.

On the 290. IF this was released the same time as the 780.. then they probably would have had my money though at the same time I don't think Nvidia will sit on their hands re the price (and do your charts on price to performance on the last page include the games value?)

As with the 290x.. big downs are this is an architecture being pushed to it's limits and it shows with the heat, noise and power consumption.. all 3 are things I wanted to avoid with my current build...
Bit of buyers remorse at spending as much as I did and 2 months later I could have had more performance for just over half the spend.. but hey, thats the game. :)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"