Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
No one 'needs' to run anything for gaming, but that doesn't stop people from doing it and buying what they want. Even if its not just for gaming but other applications. I don't 'need' my 24" but I like it. So what does that have to do with anything?
Support is at times sketchy but it is out there, and its growing , not shrinking. More and more multi monitor support has been cropping into games that historically did not have it. So game companies (Wargamming as a good example) have added support because enough of their population base supports it. Enthusiasts driving the R&D , not the other way around.
And WoT and WoWP are not on steam, so that 2%, is not valid for the market...it is only valid for Steam.

I did not realize that they took into account Mulit, my apologies on that.

However AkG also brings up a valid point too, I don't fill out a single survey on what I run with any game company and most of us with High end hardware feel the same so the numbers they have are very inaccurate to the actual market out there.

I get to see a lot of Distribution channels for monitors, plus having people in the channel to talk to. It is not as Niche as you'd like to think.
And 27" 1440p is not ultra high end (Dell's 30" monster takes that spot) its actually an affordable segment for a higher than 1080p monitor.

-ST
The market is largely mid range hardware and 1080P and below single monitors. This is a fact and where the money is. Just because there's a niche group that like to mess with non mainstream gear does not make it mainstream. By the time triple monitors gain ground if they do panel manufactures will just do it right and build a single monitor that is as wide as triple screens. Heck they already have them 2560x1080 panels but once again they are not really supported very well. IMO triple monitors are garbage just on the premise that the screen bezels get in the way and really mess things up in a bad way. Personally resolution is not everything to me. I rather an Ultra HQ IPS 1080P or 1200P panel over some hack job triple monitor setup or HD+ jobby. I also rather get 60fps minimum with as high detail settings as possible and really this just is not a reality as of today. Take Metro LL I mean even at 1080P it's takes SLI 680s or 7970Ghz to run Very high with all the filter enabled and even then it still cannot maintain 60fps min.
Old November 6, 2013, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayjaplaya View Post
They're not "around the same price". Nobody's going to get 2 290s and use them without waterblocks. So it's $800 + at least $175 for the blocks. $975+ vs. $700.
Huh? Last I checked, the card had a functioning cooler, albeit louder than Nvidia cards... doesn't mean you need a waterblock lol. Worst case is buying a non-reference one once they launch for perhaps $20-50 more.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
They're not "around the same price". Nobody's going to get 2 290s and use them without waterblocks. So it's $800 + at least $175 for the blocks. $975+ vs. $700.
I would get 2 290's and use them without waterblocks, I wear a headset when I game, or I have my 5.1 system on really loud so it doesn't matter how loud the cards are.

Also you exaggerate how loud these really are, unless it is up on your desk and a few feet away you won't notice it.

Last edited by JJThomp; November 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's an invalid argument when most people do not use water cooling and it is not needed. A more reasonable argument would be for people such as yourself to stop complaining about the slightly noisy cooler on the reference card and just wait until Msi and the like come out with their own revision of the 290 cards which will be silent and at the same time reduce temps and allow the cards to breath. If people are going to water cool GPUs then they do it with reference cards otherwise it would be a discredit to not go with the better versions that the aftermarket supply's. I think you are just upset that AMD offers better performing cards for a lower price than nvidia.
Old November 6, 2013, 02:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon freemen View Post
The market is largely mid range hardware and 1080P and below single monitors. This is a fact and where the money is. Just because there's a niche group that like to mess with non mainstream gear does not make it mainstream. By the time triple monitors gain ground if they do panel manufactures will just do it right and build a single monitor that is as wide as triple screens. Heck they already have them 2560x1080 panels but once again they are not really supported very well. IMO triple monitors are garbage just on the premise that the screen bezels get in the way and really mess things up in a bad way. Personally resolution is not everything to me. I rather an Ultra HQ IPS 1080P or 1200P panel over some hack job triple monitor setup or HD+ jobby. I also rather get 60fps minimum with as high detail settings as possible and really this just is not a reality as of today. Take Metro LL I mean even at 1080P it's takes SLI 680s or 7970Ghz to run Very high with all the filter enabled and even then it still cannot maintain 60fps min.
I am not denying that 1080p is the most common. I have never said that once so there is no need to hammer that down.
Secondly, what is 'not supported very well' on 1440p?
I've yet to run into a game that I play that does not have the option of the higher resolution. I think the vast majority of games come with it native.
So, not seeing the 'lack of support' you are so adamant about.

That's great that you feel Triple is a waste. I work for a company where my productivity would tank if I don't use 3 monitors.
I also have (after borrowing them) used 3 for WoT and it is a night and day difference and 'feel' with that setup, bezels or otherwise. Just because you think it's garbage, does not mean that the rest of the world does. It is gaining ground, not losing it. At the point where you are buying cards like this one, or anything else close to it, you are in the market range that these setups exist for.

That being said, that's about all I need to say on the subject. I've detracted from the review thread enough.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 6, 2013, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Secondly, what is 'not supported very well' on 1440p?

That's great that you feel Triple is a waste. I work for a company where my productivity would tank if I don't use 3 monitors.

-ST
I was not refuting single monitor resolutions of 2560x1440/1600 what is questionable is the sketchy support for triple monitor resolutions. Also I was not debating about three monitors for productivity on the desktop what I am talking about is the end user consumer and to be more specific the gaming application of triple monitors. IMO larger resolutions like 1440/1600P need more screen size than 27/30" in order to really appreciate the details in games as the pixel density just makes things to compressed or small at that PPI.
Old November 6, 2013, 03:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon freemen View Post
I was not refuting single monitor resolutions of 2560x1440/1600 what is questionable is the sketchy support for triple monitor resolutions. Also I was not debating about three monitors for productivity on the desktop what I am talking about is the end user consumer and to be more specific the gaming application of triple monitors. IMO larger resolutions like 1440/1600P need more screen size than 27/30" in order to really appreciate the details in games as the pixel density just makes things to compressed or small at that PPI.
I have had absolutely no issues (maybe its just me?) viewing any game with 1440P resolution. It looks stunning to me, especially on the Dell US models. They combine everything well that makes going back to 1080p almost seem appalling. I borrowed two from my friend (I can't afford them myself).
To triple, trust me, play a game like WoT with it and you'll ask yourself (or WoWP for that matter) what you ever did before, with or without bezels in the way.
Sure some games out there won't benefit from it, but there are many more that it makes it a true spectacle if you have the HW. And lets face it, GPU's like this one are overkill for most 1080p applications.

Before it sounded like you were stating that Single monitor 1440P was not supported, or useless. And I've had the luxury to try it and learn otherwise.

End of the day, we are gaining more and more games and applications that will make use of it. Its a growing market, not shrinking.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the newest games with 3 Panels? Like anything out of Wargamming or such?
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how much more involved in the gameplay you are when you gain such a huge peripheral view of the environment.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 6, 2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have had absolutely no issues (maybe its just me?) viewing any game with 1440P resolution. It looks stunning to me, especially on the Dell US models. They combine everything well that makes going back to 1080p almost seem appalling. I borrowed two from my friend (I can't afford them myself).
To triple, trust me, play a game like WoT with it and you'll ask yourself (or WoWP for that matter) what you ever did before, with or without bezels in the way.
Sure some games out there won't benefit from it, but there are many more that it makes it a true spectacle if you have the HW. And lets face it, GPU's like this one are overkill for most 1080p applications.

Before it sounded like you were stating that Single monitor 1440P was not supported, or useless. And I've had the luxury to try it and learn otherwise.

End of the day, we are gaining more and more games and applications that will make use of it. Its a growing market, not shrinking.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the newest games with 3 Panels? Like anything out of Wargamming or such?
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised how much more involved in the gameplay you are when you gain such a huge peripheral view of the environment.

-ST
Like I said bezels and triples monitors are not a good mix. I will wait until they bring 5760x1080 single monitors to market and then hop onto one of them if the GPU power for a real world price is also made available at that time. I do not like Wargaming games as for me BFBC2 is where it's at still today. Once a $200 GPU can properly drive 3 screens and a bezeless single screen 5760x1080 panel that is of good quality comes out is when I will hop on board but until then it's single screen for me.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:06 PM
MVP

I don't think AMD is pricing to complete only against nvidia. At $400, the 290 seems priced to steal some nextgen console sales.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I don't think AMD is pricing to complete only against nvidia. At $400, the 290 seems priced to steal some nextgen console sales.
That's a pretty ridiculous statement LOL. If a person is in the market for a new console then why would they want a GPU.