Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2013, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Sorry for not responding. I just moved into a new house the day before yesterday and with that, this review and the GTX 780 all coming this week, it's been crazy hectic. Only got full internet access back last night at 8PM.

Anyways, I want to mention that NVIDIA WAS quite hesitant to lower their prices and it was only through extreme AMD pressure that they revised costs lower. Even now, from a raw framerate perspective, their cards can't compete on the value front. However, if you want free games and SHIELD, they're the way to go.
Hope it quietens down and you get to enjoy the house a bit without stressing too much.

On Nvidia price-drops, when was the last batch of AMD price-drops not including the new releases?

They reacted with everything 660 and below, then when the 290x came out they reacted with the further drops and the game bundle announced before.

Other than vendors discounting the 7970, which isn't AMD, to get rid of them at $300 and less.. nvidia hasn't needed to drop their prices till now.
It's great to see them coming down finally but I'm not seeing the stubborn nvidia your describing, or at least not to the same extents that AMD were around the 7970 after the 680 launch.

Were prices VERY high, hell yea and they did need to come down but AMD is so late to the party that they had to be cheap or people would have already bought nvidia as they were available months before. Dunno if Nvidia will drop the prices again, I think the games were to match up the 290x and the price drop was to match up the 290... If you build the cost of the games into the price, where does that put Nvidia on your value chart?

Granted it's not as good as having cash in your pocket but thats what I see happening. Unfortunately for Nvidia with AMD finally mostly on top of their frame timing issues and runt frames the cheaper cards will possibly start selling more.

Long story short, I see Nvidia reacting to their competitor. As for retailers, I saw the cheap 7970's as them trying desperately to get rid before the new stuff arrived (not knowing they were just re-badges) and then put the prices up again once they realized what was happening.

Time will tell if Nvidia has to react again.. sales figures and market share are where it's at.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 5, 2013, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I don't like the whole Nvidia finally giving in to pressure type stuff on the pricing.. it's not like they take 3-5 months to get their prices to a point people are willing to pay vs AMD.. Unlike AMD who after the 6xx series was released were idiotic in their reaction time. Really Nvidia took a week to respond to the 290x (which had basically no supply anyway) and time will tell if they need to and indeed if they will respond further by dropping the 780's price.
{snip}
As with the 290x.. big downs are this is an architecture being pushed to it's limits and it shows with the heat, noise and power consumption.. all 3 are things I wanted to avoid with my current build...
Bit of buyers remorse at spending as much as I did and 2 months later I could have had more performance for just over half the spend.. but hey, thats the game. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

On Nvidia price-drops, when was the last batch of AMD price-drops not including the new releases?

They reacted with everything 660 and below, then when the 290x came out they reacted with the further drops and the game bundle announced before.

Other than vendors discounting the 7970, which isn't AMD, to get rid of them at $300 and less.. nvidia hasn't needed to drop their prices till now.
It's great to see them coming down finally but I'm not seeing the stubborn nvidia your describing, or at least not to the same extents that AMD were around the 7970 after the 680 launch.

Were prices VERY high, hell yea and they did need to come down but AMD is so late to the party that they had to be cheap or people would have already bought nvidia as they were available months before. Dunno if Nvidia will drop the prices again, I think the games were to match up the 290x and the price drop was to match up the 290... If you build the cost of the games into the price, where does that put Nvidia on your value chart?

Granted it's not as good as having cash in your pocket but thats what I see happening. Unfortunately for Nvidia with AMD finally mostly on top of their frame timing issues and runt frames the cheaper cards will possibly start selling more.

Long story short, I see Nvidia reacting to their competitor. As for retailers, I saw the cheap 7970's as them trying desperately to get rid before the new stuff arrived (not knowing they were just re-badges) and then put the prices up again once they realized what was happening.

Time will tell if Nvidia has to react again.. sales figures and market share are where it's at.
Not trying to troll you here, but that's two negative remarks towards AMD's new cards and their positioning in the market. I can't find anything to fault AMD with regard to their pricing strategy at the moment. They are priced better on almost every single graphics card level than Nvidia is right now.

Are you just angry because you bought 2x780's at full price before the resultant price drop? I could see how that would irk you...

Again, not trying to troll, just trying to see your point of view...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 5, 2013, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No, not at all, I do think they made a mistake with the coolers but otherwise the price to performance is very good, I just don't see the nvidia taking too long to respond to price drops from AMD and am trying to understand the theme through the review that says as much, thats all.

Would I be happier paying the current price for the 780's, hell yea, be an idiot not to but as said before, thats the game we play... Either buy as soon as it's released or try and pin point where the best time to buy is with price-drops.. I bought as soon as they were released, just a pitty AMD weren't ready sooner.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 5, 2013, 09:29 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

None of the 290 cards are any good right now. Too much noise and heat. Everyone is ragging on the crappy reference coolers but this was done for a reason. Price point. So that the vendors can come up with aftermarket stuff that can kill the reference cards, AT A PREMIUM. You'll have your $399 heat guns, or your $489 Direct CUIII's. Simple economics. What's the real price of a 290/290x then?

I'm thinking that if your current rig plays at an acceptable rate then wait until the die shrink on the next gen. My 7970's in CF are killing everything on max detail I'm pegged at 120fps in Arkhan Origins, BF4 and some CoD ghosts benchies I ran this morning.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
None of the 290 cards are any good right now. Too much noise and heat. Everyone is ragging on the crappy reference coolers but this was done for a reason. Price point. So that the vendors can come up with aftermarket stuff that can kill the reference cards, AT A PREMIUM. You'll have your $399 heat guns, or your $489 Direct CUIII's. Simple economics. What's the real price of a 290/290x then?

I'm thinking that if your current rig plays at an acceptable rate then wait until the die shrink on the next gen. My 7970's in CF are killing everything on max detail I'm pegged at 120fps in Arkhan Origins, BF4 and some CoD ghosts benchies I ran this morning.
I don't think the cooler is exceptionally terrible to cut costs, I just think they juiced the performance without improving the architecture which means more heat.
Old November 5, 2013, 02:43 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I think they scrimped on the cooling so they can look real good at their price point even though everyone is going to buy the more expensive custom cards.
Old November 5, 2013, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hasn't that always been ATi's/AMD's MO? Their reference coolers have never been a bag of chips and all that. Buy a reference card and slap on an Accelero and your golden.
Old November 5, 2013, 04:29 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Yah, I'd prefer non reference to any nVidia offering too. But that's why I go water cooling.
Old November 5, 2013, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I may get 2 of these cards if they perform well in crossfire. Here is hoping they will! I know they produce a lot of heat but at that price I think I can take sweaty balls.... I am going to be going water cooled on my next GPU so the noise wont be an issue.

I hope Nvidia has a response. The 780 should take another price cut but I doubt that will happen.

Ah!.. Wait the 780 comes with 3 free games and I probably would buy 2 of them so that brings it down to the R290 price range.... Don't think I would get a shield so that wouldn't help. Too many decisions.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 5, 2013, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

7 Nov watch for the 780ti.....and big price drops on Titans ;)