Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Excessive TIM on GPU (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/63917-excessive-tim-gpu.html)

Birk November 2, 2013 11:04 PM

Excessive TIM on GPU

1 Attachment(s)
Geez, So I just took the stock cooler off one of my Asus 7970 DCII cards and there was an incredible pile of TIM on the GPU, so much so that it's ground into the components directly beside the GPU die. What a friggin mess.

Is it safe to use TIM cleaner like the stuff from Arctic Silver on those parts to get it out of there?

lowfat November 2, 2013 11:09 PM

I just clean it gentle w/ a q-tip & a bit of rubbing alcohol.

IRQ Conflict November 3, 2013 02:11 AM

Soft toothbrush.

LoTech November 3, 2013 07:42 AM

There are different types of alcohol sold. For electronics, you want no residue left on whatever you are cleaning. I would go to your local drug store and get/ask for isopropanol 99% alcohol. Its rather cheap to buy and leaves no residue. Some that are sold have different %'s on the label so be careful.
Having said that I am not sure how to actually clean that mess. I know on heat sinks I use a coffee filter or similar type material as you do not want to leave any residue that may make the surface bumpy. But seeing all those other electronic connections in the mess, I can't actually help you there.
Maybe best to have an actual tech member chime in here. You certainly do not want to ruin or void a warranty with your card. Good luck

clshades November 3, 2013 08:28 AM

iso from london drugs or another pharmacy. Be careful it's not the 70% stuff ya want 99%. And a soft toothbrush with some cuetips. Take your time don't rush.

Masteroderus November 3, 2013 11:45 AM

It's really hard to find the 99% in edmonton. Apparently it can be used to make something illegal, thus it is not for sale at memx.

Hurray nanny state!

LoTech November 3, 2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masteroderus (Post 738550)
It's really hard to find the 99% in edmonton. Apparently it can be used to make something illegal, thus it is not for sale at memx.

Hurray nanny state!

Just go to local drug store. I doubt a computer shop would carry it. You may have to ask for it. In my area its not behind the counter at Rexall. I suspect you may also be able to get it at shoppers drug mart and safeway pharmacy. Also here and cheaper than what I paid.

Rougier Isopropanol 99% Isopropyl Alcohol - 500ml - London Drugs

sswilson November 3, 2013 12:19 PM

Yeah, you usually have to ask for it from behind the counter. As far as what to use on top of the 99% alcohol, any kind of fairly fine bristle brush will do the trick, and I personally avoid using anything cotton batten based as I find they just tend to catch on sharp corners.

YukonTrooper November 3, 2013 01:36 PM

You're gonna have a hard time removing that gunk with alcohol. When I'm removing manufacturers' TIM that's on thick and/or around the chip, I spray a small amount of brake/carb cleaner, mineral spirits, etc. (petroleum based products--acetone works but it's highly concentrated and will eat the PCB) on some rag or paper towel, or soak a q-tip, and it breaks down the TIM nicely. I've never damaged components this way. Just don't spray it directly onto the parts and be sparing. Always use isopropyl alcohol afterwards to remove the petroleum residues.

sf101 November 3, 2013 02:00 PM

99% is safer than break-cleaner acetone can also eat away other things as well.

you can remove it all with 99% alcohol a cue tip just fill up the area and let it soak a while before scrubbing it the tim should soften.