Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 29, 2013, 03:55 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 21
Default A Question on Warranty

So I've been meaning to SLI my rig for awhile now and I've found the video card I need on ebay for a reasonable price.
The only thing I'm wondering though is if the warranty for the card would work here in Canada if the seller bought it in the US. The manufacturer is MSI.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 29, 2013, 06:19 PM
Delavan's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mtl
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arirang View Post
So I've been meaning to SLI my rig for awhile now and I've found the video card I need on ebay for a reasonable price.
The only thing I'm wondering though is if the warranty for the card would work here in Canada if the seller bought it in the US. The manufacturer is MSI.
MSI honor warranty based on serial number. I don't know if there is different serials for cards sold in the US vs Canada, but I don't personally think so...

What might happen tho, is that the seller actually registered the card under his name already, and maybe if MSI's warranty is not transferable (you check on that), you might be screwed...

And I'd say....don't buy second-hand hardware from a seller in another country....
__________________
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 30, 2013, 11:47 AM
ShinraCorp's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 488

My System Specs

Default

Actually the warranty isn't transferable if it's already registered. So you'll be lucky if he didn't register it. If he did you have a high chance of not having a warranty. However he's right that they use barcodes and Serial Numbers to check if you have a warranty on it or not, they'll probably think it's the original owner's who's asking for the warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 30, 2013, 04:22 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
MSI honor warranty based on serial number. I don't know if there is different serials for cards sold in the US vs Canada, but I don't personally think so...

What might happen tho, is that the seller actually registered the card under his name already, and maybe if MSI's warranty is not transferable (you check on that), you might be screwed...

And I'd say....don't buy second-hand hardware from a seller in another country....
I haven't been able to find the same version of my video card yet, and I'm itching to upgrade my rig haha. That's why I was wondering about the warranty, so if worse comes to worse I'll be able to send it back to MSI. I'll definitely go make sure to see if he registered his card or not now though.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 30, 2013, 06:01 PM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,786

My System Specs

Default

You only have to match the chip.. so 770, 670 etc etc.
__________________
Random quotes:

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 2, 2013, 01:57 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 25
Default

think you should call them to check how much longer the card is under warranty. don't think MSI have a site like EVGA to check warranty, but warranty goes with card not person
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 6, 2014, 07:04 PM
On2wheels's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ontario
Posts: 966
Default

Buy the MSI Geforce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Video Card at TigerDirect.ca
This MSI says it has a 1 month warranty, how can that be? The 770s are finally dropping in price it seems, with a warranty like that I'll spend my money elsewhere.
edit: the MSI site says 3yrs, must be a tigerdirect typo. I'm partial to PNY's lifetime anyway, do any others have lifetime?

Last edited by On2wheels; August 11, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 7, 2014, 07:10 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,662
Default

That's odd.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2014, 10:41 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Buy the MSI Geforce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Video Card at TigerDirect.ca
This MSI says it has a 1 month warranty, how can that be? The 770s are finally dropping in price it seems, with a warranty like that I'll spend my money elsewhere.
edit: the MSI site says 3yrs, must be a tigerdirect typo. I'm partial to PNY's lifetime anyway, do any others have lifetime?
XFX has a lifetime warranty on some of its products (look in the middle)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2014, 10:42 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Default

XFX has a lifetime warranty on some of its products (look in the middle)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
evga 8800gt warranty question yamawho Video Cards 7 February 7, 2012 07:52 PM
Manufacture video card warranty's question. satchmo2002 Video Cards 3 October 25, 2011 07:10 PM
XFX warranty question shayan288 Video Cards 6 October 10, 2010 01:56 PM
5870 Vapor or EVGA 470+ and warranty question FreeKnight Video Cards 6 May 28, 2010 10:15 AM
Question on Staples 3-years extended warranty tao5269 Mobile Computing 17 May 25, 2010 05:36 AM