Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2013, 03:55 PM
Rookie

Default A Question on Warranty

So I've been meaning to SLI my rig for awhile now and I've found the video card I need on ebay for a reasonable price.
The only thing I'm wondering though is if the warranty for the card would work here in Canada if the seller bought it in the US. The manufacturer is MSI.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arirang View Post
So I've been meaning to SLI my rig for awhile now and I've found the video card I need on ebay for a reasonable price.
The only thing I'm wondering though is if the warranty for the card would work here in Canada if the seller bought it in the US. The manufacturer is MSI.
MSI honor warranty based on serial number. I don't know if there is different serials for cards sold in the US vs Canada, but I don't personally think so...

What might happen tho, is that the seller actually registered the card under his name already, and maybe if MSI's warranty is not transferable (you check on that), you might be screwed...

And I'd say....don't buy second-hand hardware from a seller in another country....
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 30, 2013, 11:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Actually the warranty isn't transferable if it's already registered. So you'll be lucky if he didn't register it. If he did you have a high chance of not having a warranty. However he's right that they use barcodes and Serial Numbers to check if you have a warranty on it or not, they'll probably think it's the original owner's who's asking for the warranty.
Old October 30, 2013, 04:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
MSI honor warranty based on serial number. I don't know if there is different serials for cards sold in the US vs Canada, but I don't personally think so...

What might happen tho, is that the seller actually registered the card under his name already, and maybe if MSI's warranty is not transferable (you check on that), you might be screwed...

And I'd say....don't buy second-hand hardware from a seller in another country....
I haven't been able to find the same version of my video card yet, and I'm itching to upgrade my rig haha. That's why I was wondering about the warranty, so if worse comes to worse I'll be able to send it back to MSI. I'll definitely go make sure to see if he registered his card or not now though.
Old October 30, 2013, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You only have to match the chip.. so 770, 670 etc etc.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 2, 2013, 01:57 AM
Rookie

think you should call them to check how much longer the card is under warranty. don't think MSI have a site like EVGA to check warranty, but warranty goes with card not person
Old August 6, 2014, 07:04 PM
Allstar

Buy the MSI Geforce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Video Card at TigerDirect.ca
This MSI says it has a 1 month warranty, how can that be? The 770s are finally dropping in price it seems, with a warranty like that I'll spend my money elsewhere.
edit: the MSI site says 3yrs, must be a tigerdirect typo. I'm partial to PNY's lifetime anyway, do any others have lifetime?

Last edited by On2wheels; August 11, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:10 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That's odd.
Old August 22, 2014, 10:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Buy the MSI Geforce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Video Card at TigerDirect.ca
This MSI says it has a 1 month warranty, how can that be? The 770s are finally dropping in price it seems, with a warranty like that I'll spend my money elsewhere.
edit: the MSI site says 3yrs, must be a tigerdirect typo. I'm partial to PNY's lifetime anyway, do any others have lifetime?
XFX has a lifetime warranty on some of its products (look in the middle)
Old August 22, 2014, 10:42 PM
Rookie

XFX has a lifetime warranty on some of its products (look in the middle)