Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2013, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

Default advice for cheap card - maybe AMD R7?

I hope to get a cheap video card (to upgrade from my current old GeForce 7-series card) by Xmas.

So, I am wondering if someone can comment on the new R7 AMD cards?

I also had a question about a few cards. Which would you choose?:

Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100368L Radeon R7 250 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.ca - VisionTek 900649 Radeon R7 250 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.ca - XFX R7-250A-ZNF4 Radeon R7 250 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 Video Card

I am leaning towards the XFX or VisionTek cards since they have a good warranty. But, I am not sure if the XFX is the 'double' transferable warranty. They want you to register?!?!? Why?!? I am not sure if I am buying the card, I just want to know the details of the warranty for that card!!! Why would they have this system?!? It's not good marketing!

Anyway, I prefer the 'shorter' cards since I have a small case but I think they'll all fit. The VistionTek card looks good with the lifetime warranty (from what I can tell) except they don't have the drivers for their card on their site!!!! Of course, it can be downloaded from AMD but their website is pretty bad not to have a link to their R7 cards, right?!? ;-)

The card I want is for 'all-purpose' but mostly for streaming video/htpc and playing the odd video game such as WOW or less intensive games.

What do you think? I didn't mention nvidia because they are still at the Kepler series? I read that there some sort of design flaw in which you'll often get tearing? At least, I read this on the Nvidia forum and I was told by Linux users about this.

I dual boot Windows 7 and Linux.

My budget is approx. $100 (give or take a few $$) although lower the better. Perhaps, a HD Radeon 6xxx card is sufficient but I thought 'up-to-date' is good and it will have extra features? I will even consider used. But, I noticed that many of these cards were around $60 - $80. I want a card that's a bit more powerful than the HD Radeon 6450, for e.g.

Thanks for any recommendations and advice that you might have! :)
Old October 25, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Keep an eye out for hd 7770 sales. They are frequently selling at $90 after MIR if your can swing that little bit over your $100 mark. The R7 250 may also be a great choice, but I have not seen any reviews to show how they perform compared to a 7770.

EDIT: 7770 is faster than a r7 250.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb

Last edited by Bond007; October 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually keep an eye out in the BST thread as well. In that price bracket, used is a great option. You just missed some hd 7790 and gtx650Ti for $90 shipped if I recall correctly.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 25, 2013, 06:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow Shopbot.ca and PC Part Picker.ca

Radeon R7 250 - Price comparison - Canada's Cheapest Prices or Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker Canada can give you a good idea about prices at other e-tailers orther than Newegg. Plus, NCIX and Memory Express will pricematch/uber beat, other's retail prices.
Old October 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Not to completely shut you down here with what I'm about to propose here but what is this newer gpu being installed into?
If its going into an old or older system a current card may not perform up to its potential and thus a cpu,memory,mobo bottleneck. A gts250 or something similar maybe all you'll need or benefit from.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
Not to completely shut you down here with what I'm about to propose here but what is this newer gpu being installed into?
If its going into an old or older system a current card may not perform up to its potential and thus a cpu,memory,mobo bottleneck. A gts250 or something similar maybe all you'll need or benefit from.
Yes, an older system but the entry level NI/SI cards will get bottlenecked? I am looking at HD 6770 to HD 7750 and $50 - $80 cards. Lower is better.

Quad Core cpu/775 in an ATX mid tower case.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd be less concerned about bottle-necks and more about the newest cards not being detected by an older system.

AMD cards have better drivers in Linux.. for now.. I expect this to change relatively fast though as Nvidia are in bed with valve for steambox which is linux based..
Granted, so are AMD but to be brutally honest they both suck bad at the moment but with Nvidia being less supported.

If looking new I'd be looking at a 650ti or 7770 for around the $100 mark.. Should be able to find something much more powerful for that price second hand though.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old November 16, 2013, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Seeing as you dual boot into linux, you're going to want stick with Nvidia.

You may want to consider the 560 ti as they can be had for $129 over at amazon.com.
Fermi is well supported under several linux distros and much faster than what you currently have.
Kepler will eventually have better support with time.