Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2013, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

the cooling issue will be easily ironed out IMO. Nvidia = Torpedoed like the man said.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I would rather buy this....
Zotac GeForce GTX 780 900MHZ 3GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card

than this....
Sapphire R9 290X 1000MHZ 4G GDDR5 1250MHZ 512BIT PCI-E HDMI/DVI-D/DP CF Video Card

Also I completely agree with this video....
AMD 290X vs Titan vs 780 TTL's Thoughts - YouTube

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old October 24, 2013, 09:03 PM
Top Prospect

I got to see one of these in action when the guys from AMD had their demonstration here in MTL about a week ago and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Now that I see the TDP and heat generated by this card, if I were to buy one, I would totally wait for the non reference designs before pulling the trigger.

I can't wait to see the R9-290 cards and how much they'll be able to drop the overpriced GTX770 cards.

Mmmmmmm.... Competition!!!
Old October 24, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow at everyone having such short memories.. from the "waiting for a big jump in performance" to the "about time AMD brought Nvidia to check on prices"

The 7970 had a ~25% performance increase over the 580 and a 40% increase over the 6970.. Nvidia SMASHED AMD when they launched the 6xx series and 7xx refreshes on pricing.
The Titan and 780 brought huge gains to single card performance and it's taken AMD 8 months? to respond and when they do they do so with a fire breathing, bellowing monster.

Now, I do like that AMD are putting this out there at a decent price but to blame Nvidia for (ohh my gosh) making a profit while their competitor had nothing to compete against them with.. How dare they.
Ohh and unlike the 780 on release, I can't get one of these and if I did I'm paying much more than the MSRP.. With my 780 I ordered the day after they released and paid the MSRP..

I can't see Nvidia making the same mistake here that AMD did with the 7970 when the 680 was released.. Watching for a price drop with the 780Ti release. I'm guessing 780@$550, Ti@ 599 & Titan at 650.. then the 770 and 760 to fall in line.

There will always be swings and roundabouts on pricing and performance, thats the name of the game but one thing I'm concerned about it that AMD have released 1 new chip in near 2 years now, Nvidia has released 3 in a little over 1.5 and seems to be playing the waiting game to see what AMD do and then blow them away..
6xx blew away 7xxx (performance being similar but price to performance heat and noise was a no brainer) I can't see Nvidia being in any hurry now for the 8xx cards as AMD aren't likely to produce anything majorly new in the next year other than revisions/ghz editions. All Nvidia have to do is to drop their prices close to the AMD's and people will still buy them. I'm sure if you looked at sales numbers the 770 was probably around and about the 7970 even though the value wasn't near as good.

The 1 thing I think AMD has over Nvidia at the moment is the overclocking... not really in performance gain but in the fact that they don't tie you down with silly silly limits on TDP and voltage, this is a nasty trend by Nvidia.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old October 25, 2013, 01:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey maybe nVidia can reuse this one this time around:
The Misunderstanding - Presented by AMD
Old October 25, 2013, 05:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Also I completely agree with this video....
AMD 290X vs Titan vs 780 TTL's Thoughts - YouTube
I really appreciate the his honesty. Thumbs up.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Well I wouldn't compare it to the Titan as I think that card is irrelevant as an 780 OC is either on par or faster.

So the card to compare is the 780 and with that overclocked it is actually faster than the 290x in most games. So that card came out 5 months ago and is quieter, cooler, when OC faster, uses less power, fully stable drivers, and at current prices less than $50 more expensive. Yes at $550 the 290x is a decent buy but don't compare it to a $1000 card. It is like comparing the top of the line AMD cpu vs an Intel Extreme edition CPU. Of course the AMD cpu will look better.
You're comparing it to the aftermarket 780's with custom coolers that yes, did indeed beat the Titan. In reference guise, the Titan was faster. And the 780 in reference guise is slower than the 290X. You have to compare Apples to Apples, man. You can't just pick and choose benchmarks from different classes of cards (in this case ref. vs custom cooled). In Sky's review, the 290X ended up beating the Titan more than half the time, and matching it the rest, and it beat the 780 ALL the time. Not too sure what is not clear about that!

Edit: My Bad! The 780 beat out the 290X in Assassin's Creed III!

Still,

I'm not sure what isn't clear about that! A 13% jump over the 780, and a 3% jump over the Titan. THAT is why it's being compared to the Titan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
There will always be swings and roundabouts on pricing and performance, thats the name of the game but one thing I'm concerned about it that AMD have released 1 new chip in near 2 years now, Nvidia has released 3 in a little over 1.5 and seems to be playing the waiting game to see what AMD do and then blow them away..
What three are those? As I recall, Nvidia has released one chip in the last year since the first Kepler, and that would be GK110. Just because it's found in two different cards doesn't mean it's 2 different chips.

AMD, on the otherhand, has released 2 new chips. The Bonaire, which was released as the 7790 six months ago, and now as the R7-260X, and now Hawaii, which is found in the R9-290X and 290.

I think some people really, really, really don't want to root for AMD no matter how well they do.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; October 25, 2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

While a do agree that people have short memories I think many are going about this the wrong way. Performance jumps happened so much in the past simply because the development of graphics card performance over the years was tied to Microsoft's DirectX rollout.

Remember, the progression from DX7 to DX8 to DX9 happened very quickly, over the course of just TWO YEARS if memory serves correctly. Each revision (particularly the move to DX9) brought with it a noteworthy evolution in the way developers approach game programming and graphics architectures go about their processing.

The another big jump happened in the transition from DX9 to DX10 which ushered in unified shader architectures. That brought us the unified shader architectures like G80 and, as you remember, that was an epic performance bump.

Finally, we have DirectX 11 and its various incremental iterations which was released in 2009 and will likely be around until at least 2015, if not substantially longer. That will make it SIX years old. Six years without a new API means GPU manufacturers have to use revisions of the same architecture while trying to find any way possible to squeeze more performance out of a stagnant API.

So there you have it: without a new API, don't expect revolutionary performance increases.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Why "root" for anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I think some people really, really, really don't want to root for AMD no matter how well they do.
Why "root" for anyone? Do you root for NCIX or Elecrolux or IKEA?

A company makes a product I want to exchange my money for, then great, I am happy and the company is happy - because they got my money and I got their product. Go IKEA desk lamp!

It's nice to see that AMD has brought in a competitive product, but the shear mindless hype that surrounds this video card is silly. The stock R9-290X is only competitive because of the relative price; and the card falls short on relative F@H performance, acoustics, temperature, and some select games. Indeed, on average it performs higher in FPS, good.

3 generations ago AMD was spending its budget on making bad marketing movies on how hot the GTX480 was, the irony cannot even be fathomed by some people now, from what I am reading.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

According to some , the acoustics and temps are being blown out of proportion entirely lol. Remember the rumor's going around that the 480 got hot enough to cook an egg lol.

I predict this is just the beginning for these cards, like the 4xx series from NVidia it is going to be hot, loud, and noisy with a ton of grunt behind it. In about 6 months we will see these cards refined and sold as the next gen. ie : what happened with the 5xx series.