Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2013, 02:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Of course, any further discussion on this card assumes that new stock will arrive for the retail channels, and unfortunately low stock availability will have retailers raising the price well above MSRP thus negating the real benefit to this particular card.....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 24, 2013, 03:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I've seen them in the BSTs for far less than that already.
Oh damn, my bad I guess they really are going for a low price but better than nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I doubt it.... somebody had one up for $225 on here and it stayed up for a day or so.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though, that's the nature of the beast.
Selling those 2 would get you close enough to buying the R9 290X. So it's a good decision and you should have them up asap!
Old October 24, 2013, 03:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Of course, any further discussion on this card assumes that new stock will arrive for the retail channels, and unfortunately low stock availability will have retailers raising the price well above MSRP thus negating the real benefit to this particular card.....
And therefore we play the waiting game. Woohoo
Old October 24, 2013, 05:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Man, can't wait to see an aftermarket Windforce 3 with two 8 pin plugs....or a water cooled version.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Shoulda bought last night when newegg still had stock. smh @ ncix price gouging on the worst manufacturer there is.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Of all cards that have come out recently, this one has me drooling. This card reminds me of nvidia's gtx 480. hot and loud but fast. Seems like I'm a sucker for punishment since I own 2 470s.

Btw, would it be possible to get numbers from popular old generation gpus with sli/xf numbers comparing them to the current generation? 6970/50, 470 etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who waits more than a year or two between upgrades. Some figures to get an idea of where our current cards stand would be helpful in making buying decisions now.

Old October 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
SKY, any F@h numbers with that card?
This is the best I can give you at the moment:
AnandTech Portal | The AMD Radeon R9 290X Review
Fold for team #54196
Old October 24, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

this comment is beautiful.
Quote:
While reducing the cost of some lower end GeForce SKUs fired a shot across AMD’s bow, in one fell swoop AMD has just torpedoed NVIDA’s entire high end lineup.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would buy a GTX 780 for up to a $50 premium over this card... sure, if AMD history holds true, we'll see it make significant performance increases with future driver updates and it may be a winner then... but for the lower temps, power, noise, I'd pick the 780 and pay a few bucks for it, especially if we're talking factory overclock to make it a little more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleurious View Post
Gonna pick one up as soon as I can find one at MSRP or less. Debating whether I should get a waterblock for the card or use an aftermarket one like the DCII.
Have fun waiting for that to happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
When new graphics cards come out I expect them to beat anything from the previous generation. Both Nvidia and AMD are sadly disappointing.
This is not "new gen" from what I understand, this is just "updated current gen." The next generation comes out next year.

Quote:
Heh.... guess this puts the value of my used 2G GTX 680 somewhere south of $200......... ;(
People on e-bay are really dumb... After getting tired of trying to sell my card on here I now have a $310 bid on e-bay. Still, I would say the 680 should only be worth about $240 used right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Shoulda bought last night when newegg still had stock. smh @ ncix price gouging on the worst manufacturer there is.
They need to make their $$ back after all the price matching you made them do!
Old October 24, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah, but it's a dual gpu card... some of us aren't interested in that at all. Been through SLI'd 560ti card, didn't appreciate the fact it didn't work on the one title I was playing at the time, never going back to a dual card solution unless it's just to extend the life of an older card I've already got.
I agree that SLI isn't always reliable but I find 95% of the time it works so it isn't really an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Because a sub 600$ card is at the same level as a >1000$ that's why.
Well I wouldn't compare it to the Titan as I think that card is irrelevant as an 780 OC is either on par or faster.

So the card to compare is the 780 and with that overclocked it is actually faster than the 290x in most games. So that card came out 5 months ago and is quieter, cooler, when OC faster, uses less power, fully stable drivers, and at current prices less than $50 more expensive. Yes at $550 the 290x is a decent buy but don't compare it to a $1000 card. It is like comparing the top of the line AMD cpu vs an Intel Extreme edition CPU. Of course the AMD cpu will look better.

The 780 was already the Titan killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Dual GPU cards never clock like single SLI versions. Resale on a dual GPU card is always less than selling 2 single GPU versions.
This I agree with but at the time the 690 was a great buy as it offered the same performance as 680 SLI. All previous generations dual GPU cards performed the same as 2 2nd tiered or lower cards.

Maybe I am just being grumpy but computer hardware for the past couple of years hasn't seem the leaps and bounds jumps as in previous years. I just was hoping for AMD to release a GPU that would beat the Titan at 15% performance but instead we get another generation that just matches the current generation. Now when Nvidia releases their next GPU's if it isn't a good performance improvement I am going to go crazy.

Anybody remember the glory days of the 8800 series and Core 2 duo coming out? That was a much larger performance improvement than the 7800 and Pentium 4s of the previous generation. Now we don't see that and it is saddening.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."

Last edited by belgolas; October 24, 2013 at 08:10 PM.