Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2013, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs down Is My XFX 7950 Defective?

I just installed my new XFX 7950 and for the 5th time within half an hour, I had to force restart my computer because I keep on getting a black screen in desktop or in my games. Then occasionally it won't detect my monitors at all, forcing me to do the force restarts. At first, I thought it was a driver problem so I reinstalled them, but it keeps on doing that so it probably isn't a driver problem. I'm using the latest September 2013 Catalyst drivers. Is my 7950 defective?
Old October 18, 2013, 04:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you run driver cleaner in safe mode before installing your new drivers?
Old October 18, 2013, 06:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yeh but which driver.
Drive sweeper or cat radeon uninstall utility which can be found at AMD

this is what I do even if its "longer"
radeon uninstall utility, driver sweeper, reboot, Ccleaner, install new driver, go into cat control center top right and find restore to factory defaults, restore, might have to reboot again before use.

Also, did you overclock it, or is it factory overclocked as if the voltage is lower then it needs this can cause issues, and is your cpu overclocked same response and last is your power supply good enough?

Probably a driver issue but worth the asking, no BSOD though? if yes, keep track of the error codes this definitely can help sort issues out.
Old October 18, 2013, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

See if you can repeat the issue at will with a benchmark like Furmark. What temperatures does the card reach before the crash/going black? Have you tried putting your old card back in to rule out the possibility of a bad PSU?
Old October 18, 2013, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

People still use Driver Cleaner and Driver Sweeper? They're very outdated and it doesn't seem to detect anything. Can't get into safe mode either, despite holding F8. Probably need to use my mechanical keyboard for that...

No BSOD. Just a black screen. Sometimes the screen will come back, but otherwise it'll continue to act as if no signal was being sent to the monitor.

It is factory overclocked, and there is no PSU problem. I've been running Folding@Home the whole time prior to this, so there is no way the power draw from a idle 7950 is more than a fully loaded PC running Folding@Home.

I haven't put in my GTX 460 yet... Going to do that now. Just got home.

Edit: Even with AMD's beta drivers, it just glitched so hard that it exited the OCCT 3D test and I'm stuck on desktop... Now I'm unsure whether it's a driver failure or hardware failure.

Last edited by geokilla; October 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old October 19, 2013, 01:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That sounds like a hardware issue with card did you pick it up New or used. And have you tried monitoring temps when you get to use monitor or check event log see if there is any weird conflicts going on.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
That sounds like a hardware issue with card did you pick it up New or used. And have you tried monitoring temps when you get to use monitor or check event log see if there is any weird conflicts going on.
How do I check event log? I don't know what the temperatures are as MSI Afterburner cannot detect it, but I'm sure they're in reasonable levels as the fan was spinning.

GPU was bought new from Newegg.

Lol I don't think I'm going to bother troubleshooting... Turned on the computer with no drivers installed. Went to washroom. Come back and the monitor isn't receiving a signal from the GPU. This was with a idle computer. 99.99% sure it's defective.

Last edited by geokilla; October 19, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Have you tried using a different monitor or cable? Check the refresh rate?
Old October 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Any time you're going from AMD to Nvidia or the other way and you have issues, I always recommend a fresh Windows install.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Have you tried using a different monitor or cable? Check the refresh rate?
Different cable and monitors (dual screen), same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Any time you're going from AMD to Nvidia or the other way and you have issues, I always recommend a fresh Windows install.
Ya that's the last thing I want to do... I just installed a whole bunch of games in preparation for the upgrade.. Guess I have to start backing things up

Edit: Defective for sure. Just did a clean install of Windows. Still getting the same problem when doing the OCCT GPU test. Constant black screens, but at least a signal is being sent to my monitor now.

Last edited by geokilla; October 19, 2013 at 10:22 PM.