Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Video Card suffered cpu Coolant spill, won't do 3d acceleration anymore? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/63603-video-card-suffered-cpu-coolant-spill-wont-do-3d-acceleration-anymore.html)

On the Lam October 14, 2013 06:57 AM

Video Card suffered cpu Coolant spill, won't do 3d acceleration anymore?

Heya, this EVGA 650 boost video card was the 2nd card in an SLI configuration (the bottom one) when my Coolit ECO cpu cooler exploded. The upper card was a Gigabyte, which I managed to save after brushing the sizzle marks with isopropyl alcohol, and a rinse with distilled water.

However the EVGA, while can do 2D perfectly fine, will not accelerate games, rather staying at a core speed of 324Mhz and not 1000Mhz+ which it should.

Is the card toast? Or can I do anything else?

Squeetard October 14, 2013 07:35 AM

Make sure your SLI is on. If you pulled the cards it turns off. Or if you are like me you forgot to put the bridge back on.

On the Lam October 14, 2013 08:32 AM

Actually I meant I tested each card as a single card. Gigabyte is fine alone, EVGA is not. I didn't bother to test them in SLI given that the EVGA wouldn't 3d accelerate on it's own.

KaptCrunch October 14, 2013 09:03 AM

leave EVGA out to dry more, if shorting asking for trouble on MB

also check the slots are dry

Dragonstongue October 14, 2013 09:56 PM

I had issues awhile back with a 7870 as I cleaned it but sneezed and knocked a bottle of iso alchol on it, dried best I could plugged card back in, the dvi and hdmi ports worked fine, then an hdmi port goes wonky, then the dvi port within another hour, thought I killed my card, put card back in box and only used the one, was in box for ~2weeks, plugged it back in, card works fine. You could try dousing the card in 99% iso alchol and turning a fan on it to fully dry it put it back together and try it, maybe some contacts got bridged and they don't want to be, the iso should clean it out real nice if this is the case, if it helps your welcome :)

sf101 October 15, 2013 12:48 AM

dunking in iso 99% works really well then leave the component in the sun to try for a few days and if its a moisture issue most of the time its gone.

may require a re-paste after.

On the Lam October 17, 2013 02:45 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, only thing I haven't tried is a 99% isopropyl alcohol bath, I'll have to try that next, but I'm resigned to accept that it's toast.

Dzzope October 17, 2013 03:20 AM

Depending on the maker of the cooler it may be covered by the AIO warranty?

Soultribunal October 17, 2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 735122)
Depending on the maker of the cooler it may be covered by the AIO warranty?

Its a Coolit ECO....older model. He's not going to get anything from them for this, sadly...

-ST

On the Lam October 19, 2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 735218)
Its a Coolit ECO....older model. He's not going to get anything from them for this, sadly...

-ST

I did submit a claim, and they offered me an ECO II as a replacement (just pay for shipping), but I politely declined, as I'll never use a Coolit product ever again. Coolit isn't even in the market anymore, newegg, ncix and canadacomputers don't even carry it anymore.