Old October 10, 2013, 10:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
From Hardware.fr:

FLIR picture of VRMs on the MSI Gaming 280X

Les Radeon R7/R9 de MSI - Cartes Graphiques - HardWare.fr

Quote from said article (in french sry):

Quick translation: Card's performance was drastically reduced intermittently in Furmark, 3D Mark11 and ANNO 2070, because the card's GPU throttled down to 501 mhz when VRMs are reaching 115 deg celsius. MSI is trying deal with this situation ASAP.

The article also states that MSI mentions that the sensors on the card are reading wrong and the temp is actually lower than 115deg celsius. The writers, with FLIR, noted a temp of 117deg celsius!
Thats.....UNgood. Guess MSI will be off my buy list for this gen of AMDs...until they are proven ready for prime time! Damn shame as they are one of the few I usually trust. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thats.....UNgood. Guess MSI will be off my buy list for this gen of AMDs...until they are proven ready for prime time! Damn shame as they are one of the few I usually trust. :(
You're right, it's exactly the reason why I posted this. The GTX 770 Gaming edition (same cooler) doesn't show the same issue. So the cooler concept is good, but maybe it has to be modded to adapt to the particularities of that 280X PCB layout?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old October 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I guess that's why MSI rolled out a new BIOS for it yesterday....
Old October 10, 2013, 03:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Quote:
The article also states that MSI mentions that the sensors on the card are reading wrong and the temp is actually lower than 115deg celsius. The writers, with FLIR, noted a temp of 117deg celsius!
Quote:

That is a bummer, not question about it.
Usually when they adding components over the reference design, then this is beneficial and come with lower temps and higher overclock.
But this time it looks like something went pretty bad and the card is trying to fry itself...

Definitively not a good card to have inside of the machine - it will overheat it.

And agreed, that even people having mixed opinions on the MSI mainboards, their GFX cards are considered quite good. But looks like they have a bummer to recall...

SKYMTL - thanks for the great review of THERE cards (not to mention the additional infos on the R 240 and R 250 cards)! Good work, keep it up :)
Old November 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Got the 3GB Asus R9-280x-TOP-DC2 for $214 all in from Mem Express last week. Sweet ass value card, runs BF4 brilliantly at ultra at 1080p.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Woah...those FLIR Pictures.
This brings me back to the 480 days...

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com