Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mommy!!! I don't want to have to buy another GPU. I was quite happy here in Nvidia's camp.

Pretty much the only game I play these days is Battlefield. When BF4 comes out, I'll be playing that until the day the next one comes out. I guess, that since BF4 is a supporter of AMD's Mantle, that I'll end up switching back to AMD's graphics cards once the R9 comes out and drops in price a little.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 1, 2013, 06:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Battlefield will have support for DX9, DX11.1 and Mantle.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Battlefield will have support for DX9, DX11.1 and Mantle.
However Mantle will provide the best bang for buck performance correct?
Damn, why did i buy a 770 and block so soon lol. This is looking like a winner. Especially because of Starwars: Battlefield and BF4 (the two games im most pumped for)

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old October 1, 2013, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
However Mantle will provide the best bang for buck performance correct?
Damn, why did i buy a 770 and block so soon lol. This is looking like a winner. Especially because of Starwars: Battlefield and BF4 (the two games im most pumped for)
That's what I'm wondering. It's fine saying that I have a higher end card, and will be able to play BF4 no problem, but if the jump to a $450 AMD R9 will provide 50% more performance simply because of an API, then it's a no-brainer.

My requirements are simple. I play one game, therefore I can taylor my rig to that game. BF3 was better suited towards Nvidia cards, and more cores. Hence the i7 and the GTX770. However, if BF4 is better suited towards AMD products, then that will change my rig some.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 1, 2013, 07:12 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No one is saying Mantle will provide improved performance. As the article says: it HAS that potential to drastically increase draw calls but I think it will initially be used as a console -> PC porting facilitator.
Old October 1, 2013, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No one is saying Mantle will provide improved performance. As the article says: it HAS that potential to drastically increase draw calls but I think it will initially be used as a console -> PC porting facilitator.
But from that, we can assume that Mantle enabled GPU's will be able to provide better performance over nVidia cards who rely specifically on DX11.1 on those Mantle titles? If anything it would be more efficient, which would then result in less 'loss' or bottleneck, which would result in better performance overall.

Please correct me if I'm wrong?

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old October 1, 2013, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That would be the intention, however the outcome is far from certain. It's a long and rocky road and only results will show us what will happen with this.

Remembering that they aren't exactly great on the software support. This is a big ask.
How long did it take them to release even an alpha of the frame pacing drivers? then beta? I am not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Would mantle support a stand-alone option that could conceivably be run with a basic Linux install and/or something like a steam OS?
From what I have gathered it's supplimentary to DX / OpenGL not stand-alone

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; October 1, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This would be the most amazing step forward since 3d gaming was born in my humble opinion. Imagine crysis (original) or armaIII running 2500x1600 on multi monitors at over 120fps by removing all the current limitations PC's have. This is one of the reasons I've been a gamer for so many years. Enjoying these moments when we take huge leaps forward.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This seems like it has very high POTENTIAL for improvements in PC gaming and ease of ports. Hopefully, if it is truely a step forward, it receives the acceptance it should. I know that it COULD bring with it challenges/issues/etc for intel/nvidia, but that can be dealt with using the almighty dollar I am sure.

I am also left wondering if this could improve the performance of AMD cpu in comparison to intel's offerings in a gaming environment. It would be a shame if gaming performance from their CPU starts to improve when they seem to be stagnating development for future FX level processors.
Old October 1, 2013, 01:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I don't really get this draw calls tech talk Hopefully the december patch for BF4 will shed new light on the advantages of Mantle.
I'm also curious to see the how the mid level GCN cards compare to PS4/Xbone gaming performance

Damn gotta wait a couple of months to see both of these questions answered :X