Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2013, 05:10 AM
Banned

Default AMD fails at Eyefinity and Surround in CFx

Here's why the CrossFire Eyefinity/4K story matters - The Tech Report

Quote:
About half of the frames just don't make it to the display at all, even though they're counted in software benchmarking tools like Fraps. I've seen dropped frames with single-display CrossFire, but nothing nearly this extreme.
Quote:
That means the compositing problems we've explored happen to CrossFire configs connected to 4K displays—not the regular microstuttering troubles, but the amped-up versions.
Frame Rating: Eyefinity vs Surround in Single and Multi-GPU Configurations | PC Perspective
Old September 21, 2013, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

from my limited time reading about displays and the on going steps forward in technology HDMI will become a thing of the past so the screen tearing issue is of little consequence.
Quote:
I figure if you drop thousands of dollars on a 4K gaming setup, you can spring for the best cable config. So one of Nvidia's main points just doesn't resonate with me.
HDMI has max resolution problems so using these connections is moot with high resolution displays. To suggest using 2 HDMI cords to run a single monitor is nothing short of ridiculous and the idea alone will fade (if I'm reading this correctly). It is my understanding we will all be moving to Displayport in the future as it supports higher resolutions natively. I have owned many cards from both companies and each of them have their pro's and con's. I like the color profiles and the TV support of AMD more than Nvidia which suits my configuration at home better. I'll take a hit or 2 in the gaming front if I have to... it's such minor amounts of FPS drop it's barely worth noting.

I'll not pay an extra 200 dollars just for a 5 or 10 percent FPS increase and in the end computing for me is just a hobby.

On a personal note directed toward you and please just take this as a grain of salt dude. These posts you make dissing anything other than your religious attitude toward everything other than what you personally own is coming from a guy who owns a $1000+ cpu along with $1000 video card and a very expensive monitor. I can only imagine how much money you spent in total on your computer so good for you I suppose but a complete waste of money for the majority. It's easy to sit atop the computing mountain and point a boney finger at the masses who can't afford to sit up there with you. It takes true character not to.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old September 21, 2013, 02:51 PM
Banned

It's more about pointing out what people shouldn't buy in the spirit of being helpful CLShades.

I think people would be dumb to buy the stuff I bought, except the 25X16 panels, my intel 2500k, and my AMD HD7970.

Crossfire can be a good deal, but for now, it's important people know about the never rendered frames, etc. with Eyefinity and 4k panels.
Old September 21, 2013, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In this case i agree with him. Xfire in eyefinity and 4k is horrible. There is a good pcper article i will post up when i get home.

Frame Rating: Eyefinity vs Surround in Single and Multi-GPU Configurations | PC Perspective

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; September 21, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old September 24, 2013, 04:45 AM
Banned

According to Tom's Hardware, the next phase of frame pacing drivers that support high resolution are coming around year end:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...g,3620-10.html

Quote:
I’ll leave AMD out of this, except to say that the company is targeting the end of this year for its phase-two frame pacing driver, which should introduce Eyefinity, DirectX 9, and OpenGL support.
Old September 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

XDMA should give a hardware solution to eyefinty/4K issues, the problem is the software compositing used by crossfire at bandwidths greater than the crossfire strap capacity. XDMA will move all CF data to the PCIE bus, and should be launching with Hawaii (bar any major last minute technical issues).