Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've been pondering the same question for a couple weeks now, whether the 4gb is worth it. I've only seen one benchmark that stood out where it made any difference, and the difference it made was that the framerate didn't drop as low is one game on the 4gb card compared to the 2gb.

The others are right though, we might see a need for more than 2gb in the near future. and if you're one to keep a card for a while, it could be worth getting the extra 2gb over the long run, but it's hard to say. Not like we haven't had this argument before going from 128mb to 256mb, or 512mb to 1gb and each time it was probably said you'll never need that memory, and then boom, all of a sudden we needed it one day
Old September 12, 2013, 05:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Buying a new GPU two months before the start of a new generation of consoles is a bad idea. I think it's safe to expect a proportional increase in system requirements for the AAA PC titles that follow.

The nextgen consoles will have around 5GB of ram available for gaming purposes. Most of that will be used for art assets. I wouldn't be comfortable investing in a 2GB GPU right now.
I think your hypothesis has a problem.

The things that take more VRAM (E.G. textures, AA) additional GPU requirements are not going to go away "because it's the new consoles".

The new consoles still have weak sauce GPUs and you won't be seeing games using 4GB of textures or sporting native 8X AA. Job number one in consoles is smooth performance, not "Holy cow! This is photorealism!".

@Delevan:

You are correct, in SLi the additional 2GB of VRAM would allow for higher levels of AA in some games.
Old September 12, 2013, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What is the rest of your PC components other than the 580?
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old September 12, 2013, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Update: I feel like buying a 780 to get Titan like performance while still paying about 37% less than an actual Titan. It will have 3GB of VRAM which I feel is essential for a heavily modded Skyrim.
As this is a high end card, I don't feel like there will be much savings to be had in October - there is little reason to postpone my purchase.

As requested here is the rest of my build. Please let me know if anything I have will bottleneck the video card:

PCPartPicker part list: Intel Core i7-2600K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Corsair 650D - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Core i7-2600K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Corsair 650D - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker
Benchmarks: Intel Core i7-2600K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Corsair 650D - System Build - Benchmarks - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($293.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.13 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Samsung S24A450BW-1 24.0" Monitor ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Razer Arctosa Wired Standard Keyboard ($53.21 @ TigerDirect)
Mouse: Razer Mamba 2012 Elite Wireless Laser Mouse ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Speakers: Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers ($98.44 @ TigerDirect)
Headphones: Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2407.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-12 12:31 EDT-0400)
Old September 12, 2013, 12:19 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
I think your hypothesis has a problem.

The things that take more VRAM (E.G. textures, AA) additional GPU requirements are not going to go away "because it's the new consoles".
I don't recall suggesting that...

Quote:
The new consoles still have weak sauce GPUs and you won't be seeing games using 4GB of textures or sporting native 8X AA. Job number one in consoles is smooth performance, not "Holy cow! This is photorealism!".
Actually, recent console games have been about the best image quality @ around 30FPS and have been clunky with laggy controls -- despite a fringe desire for 60FPS. They waste a lot of processing power trying to gloss over ugly textures resulting from 512MB of RAM.

Regardless of what you think of nextgen console specs, they are a massive upgrade vs the previous generation. As consoles are the basis of almost all AAA development, I think it's fair to say an improvement in console specs will increase the hardware requirements for the PC ports--which have, the past couple of years, been limited by the target platforms.

The nextgens have 5GB (unified) of gaming memory for a purpose. I expect top studios to fully exploit it. Therefore, a wait and see attitude is prudent before making a significant purchase. IMO.
Old September 13, 2013, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Buying a new GPU two months before the start of a new generation of consoles is a bad idea. I think it's safe to expect a proportional increase in system requirements for the AAA PC titles that follow.

The nextgen consoles will have around 5GB of ram available for gaming purposes. Most of that will be used for art assets. I wouldn't be comfortable investing in a 2GB GPU right now.
Helped you remember saying it.

And I still say the weaksauce GPUs in upcoming consoles will have trouble pushing out games with 3GB of textures or AA sampling in play.

Someone wants to do the math on proposed specs for texture fillrate and point me at some similar current GPU running a game at 1080p with 3GB of textures in play and say "Shut up tRollo! GPUs like the one on the weaksauce consoles push around 3GB of textures all the time!", I'll recant.

People seem to think because "it's the new consoles!" they have some magic AMD dust in them and they defy all known rules of gaming.

AFAIK having access to 5GB of memory doesn't mean the GPU can use it in any real fashion, that's why you don't a $150 GPU with 6GB of VRAM, but on my Titan it could actually be used if someone ever coded for it.
Old September 13, 2013, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think people tend to forget that the 5GB of RAM on the consoles is system ram as well as VRAM. That memory will have to hold all the OS functions, any background tasks, as well as any operations that the CPU part of the jaguar cores are performing.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I think people tend to forget that the 5GB of RAM on the consoles is system ram as well as VRAM. That memory will have to hold all the OS functions, any background tasks, as well as any operations that the CPU part of the jaguar cores are performing.
They each have 8GB of total memory, with around 5GB dedicated for gaming. Actual game code will utilize a relatively small share of that.
Old September 16, 2013, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On the build... Is this all being bought or do you have some already?

I would hold off on some of the optional extras and bump a few items... Like z87 and 4670k, 8gb especially if your going 4x4.. Add more later when you need it.
Could also cut on the cooler a bit too... the performance you'll gain is low for the dollars spent.

You could also trim back on the case and maybe get a gold rated PSU... 650W is plenty unless your going to go SLI and then a good 750 - 850 is fine.
There should be options that are as affordable as but faster than the M4.. Have a look around at drives in your price range.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"