Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   EVGA GTX 780 Classified Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/63055-evga-gtx-780-classified-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL September 4, 2013 08:10 PM

EVGA GTX 780 Classified Review Comment Thread

EVGA’s GTX 780 lineup may hold an incredible eight different variations but their GTX 780 Classified is without a doubt the flagship. Not only is it fast, but it can overclock to unheard-of levels.

Read more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ed-review.html

:thumb:

lowfat September 4, 2013 08:15 PM

Can't wait to see what kind of PPD I can w/ one of these beasts. :shok:

Dzzope September 5, 2013 12:25 AM

Me wants the classified tool hacked for everyone.. :P

I wonder how the DCII and lightning would perform with this(actually, even just stock :D )...

trodas September 5, 2013 01:40 AM

Whoa, this leave Titan in the dust :bleh:

Overclockable w/o custom bios or custom cooling to 1319MHz for the core and 7426MHz for the rams? Now that is something really groundbreaking.

As for the limits, the tests in temperature clearly shows, that Asus Direct CU II cooling is better and what first overclocker is probably bound to do is to slap there two 120mm fans to keep the temperature under control. It sure means redesigning the cooling, but nothing else could have been done.
Two 80mm fans for hi-end product with incredible heat generation? Nah!

Another way to reduce the temps is to check out what caps are used and use better caps (for example, less resistance in the cap (both ESL and ESR) equals less heat generation = cooler card and VRM circuits) or even boost the caps capacitance/parameters, witch could futher increase the overclockability.
Something tells me, that they did not go for the best of the best polymer caps, but use some semi-stable grace of Taiwan made caps like these "Elites" and such we seen even exploding on Asus P5K Premium boards...

So there is only one shortcomming to the review - no peek under the hood :dots:
I would love (and maybe others too?) to see what the card looks like under the hood and also what are the chances of getting there a decent fans, like the mentioned 2x 120mm ones.

People use them on far weaker cards for long time and for good reasons:
http://s24.postimg.org/f4cemh26d/fle...celero_mod.jpg

DuraN September 5, 2013 02:18 AM

Should probably note that if you buy a Classified now, you won't be getting as good a memory overclock as HWCanucks did in this review. The reason for this is that theres limited availability of Samsung GDDR5 used in most review samples. The last two batches of cards have been mostly Elpida memory, and you would be lucky to hit 7000mhz on the memory clock. Not EVGA's fault about the lack of Samsung GDDR5, but still something to consider when reading reviews. This goes for the MSI Lightning aswell.

Delavan September 5, 2013 03:45 AM

After having issues with my 560TI's (twin frozr II) fans that I had to RMA, I'm a little skeptical on the aftermarket fans on those.

SKY, besides the marketing claims from eVGA on the ACX fans with dual ball bearings, do you feel that the "12 year" durability rating on the fans will lead to a good 3 years of reliable service?

stoanee September 5, 2013 04:34 AM

What a beast! Great to see some overclocking headroom on these cards. Keep your fingers on the button in case Sky decides to sell this card! :thumb:

SKYMTL September 5, 2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Should probably note that if you buy a Classified now, you won't be getting as good a memory overclock as HWCanucks did in this review. The reason for this is that theres limited availability of Samsung GDDR5 used in most review samples. The last two batches of cards have been mostly Elpida memory, and you would be lucky to hit 7000mhz on the memory clock. Not EVGA's fault about the lack of Samsung GDDR5, but still something to consider when reading reviews. This goes for the MSI Lightning aswell.
Interesting. But, I only received my sample about two weeks ago so I'm pretty sure it wasn't from the first batch. :)

Quote:

SKY, besides the marketing claims from eVGA on the ACX fans with dual ball bearings, do you feel that the "12 year" durability rating on the fans will lead to a good 3 years of reliable service?
I would like to believe so but even if they don't, you have EVGA's iron-clad warranty to back you up....which does cover the fans.

vohiep84 September 5, 2013 06:21 AM

Damn, I should really wait for the classified version of future cards instead of just going reference.

Would have loved my 780 to be a classified version.

lowfat September 5, 2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 727778)
What a beast! Great to see some overclocking headroom on these cards. Keep your fingers on the button in case Sky decides to sell this card! :thumb:

:whistle: