Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Galaxy GTX 770 GC 4GB Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/62621-galaxy-gtx-770-gc-4gb-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL August 11, 2013 09:13 PM

Galaxy GTX 770 GC 4GB Review Comment Thread

Galaxy's GTX 770 GC 4GB doubles up on the reference card's memory while also utilizing higher clock speeds. It also happens to be one of the most expensive GTX 770 cards on the market but does the additional GDDR5 actually make a difference?

Read more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...gb-review.html

IRQ Conflict August 11, 2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 724068)
their true benefits will only be realized in very specific games that are either poorly optimized or have been modified to require an obscene about of memory.

Massive texture packs at high res. What is computer game without that? I'll tell you what that is. A console port. And a poor one at that.

Also, it will keep you in the game a little longer if it suffers from memory leaks. :haha:

Good review Sky.

Desiato August 11, 2013 11:49 PM

Considering that the xbo and ps4 will have around 5GB of ram available for games, I think that a 4GB card is just due diligence.

IRQ Conflict August 12, 2013 02:12 AM

Joy! I did not know that! Sounds like someone wants to make games without all that nasty blurring!?

Edit: Would that be system or graphics ram? Or both? I don't know how consoles use ram. :blarg:

Edit#2: Ah! It seems your right! Pretty impressive for a console wouldn't you say? Though, I question the use of DDR3 rather than GDDR5. System memory is quite a bit slower than dedicated graphics memory.

Quote:

The Xbox One has an APU with eight x86-64 cores, based on the Jaguar architecture from AMD, and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 68.3 GB/s.<sup id="cite_ref-JaguarAnandtech_5-1" class="reference">[5]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-XboxOneMay2013Anandtechcomparison_26-0" class="reference">[26]</sup> The memory subsystem also features an additional 32 MB of "embedded static" RAM, or ESRAM, with a memory bandwidth of 102 GB/s.<sup id="cite_ref-27" class="reference">[27]</sup> Eurogamer has been told that for simultaneous read and write operations the ESRAM is capable of a theoretical memory bandwidth of 192 GB/s and that a memory bandwidth of 133 GB/s has been achieved with operations that involved alpha transparency blending.<sup id="cite_ref-XboxOneESRAMIncrease_28-0" class="reference">[28]</sup> The system includes a 500 GB non-replaceable hard drive,<sup id="cite_ref-29" class="reference">[29]</sup> and a Blu-ray Disc optical drive.<sup id="cite_ref-XboxOneMay2013IGN_24-1" class="reference">[24]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-XboxOneMay2013EngadgetSpecs_30-0" class="reference">[30]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-XboxOneMay2013EngadgetPressRelease_31-0" class="reference">[31]</sup> Kotaku, Game Informer, and Gizmodo state that 3 GB of RAM will be reserved for the operating system and apps, leaving 5 GB for games.

SKYMTL August 12, 2013 07:52 AM

Take a look at the DX11 and DX11.1 white papers. There's a very clean indication that memory requirements are decreasing.

As for texture packs, that's a thing of the DX9 and DX10 days. With tessellation and other methods, the very nature of adding the illusion of textures into a game is changing.

bliz August 12, 2013 01:24 PM

This card is not the best 770 but it's still ok...

IRQ Conflict August 12, 2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 724105)
Take a look at the DX11 and DX11.1 white papers. There's a very clean indication that memory requirements are decreasing.

I have seen the MS promo of this. If it works as advertised great! But I don't know if that will translate to PC's right away.

Quote:

As for texture packs, that's a thing of the DX9 and DX10 days. With tessellation and other methods, the very nature of adding the illusion of textures into a game is changing.
*Cough*

Texture packs are no illusion. They are simply higher textures than the original. They require much more memory to use than the vanilla textures. Calling them an "illusion" has me perplexed. They are no more an illusion than the original textures.

Edit: Further, the vast amount of my library are DX9/10 titles. :biggrin:

SKYMTL August 12, 2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict (Post 724160)
I have seen the MS promo of this. If it works as advertised great! But I don't know if that will translate to PC's right away.

*Cough*

Texture packs are no illusion. They are simply higher textures than the original. They require much more memory to use than the vanilla textures. Calling them an "illusion" has me perplexed. They are no more an illusion than the original textures.

Edit: Further, the vast amount of my library are DX9/10 titles. :biggrin:

Welcome to the early days of DX11 too. Before developers were accustomed to the API. Remember when the Texture Pack for Crysis 2 was released and memory usage shot through the roof....only to plunge back to pre-pack levels after a patch the following month? I remember since it played havoc with my GPU benchmarks. ;)

Desiato August 12, 2013 04:18 PM

IMO, the 5GB of gaming memory on the nextgens is going to be loaded with content and relevant from the start. I believe whatever resources are freed up through new techniques will be quickly consumed elsewhere.

I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed owners of high end 2GB cards next year. Few things piss off pc gamers more than console envy. :p

I don't doubt gpu manufacturers are also counting on this.

great_big_abyss August 13, 2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desiato (Post 724186)
IMO, the 5GB of gaming memory on the nextgens is going to be loaded with content and relevant from the start. I believe whatever resources are freed up through new techniques will be quickly consumed elsewhere.

I think there are going to be a lot of disappointed owners of high end 2GB cards next year. Few things piss off pc gamers more than console envy. :p

I don't doubt gpu manufacturers are also counting on this.

Meh, it'll give me an excuse to buy a new card in a year. Ugrade to the 'new gen' so to speak, while actually having a reason to do so (increased VRAM). I don't mind! In the meantime, for the resolutions I play at, 2GB is plenty of memory.